News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[Project] GUI Theme

Started by Max-Max, May 31, 2013, 11:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

I've been on this forum long enough to realize that the innovative concepts not so well accepted in simutrans.

So, how it is intended reach mobile platforms, Touchpad and even HTML5? ???

Ters

Simutrans won't reach HTML5. That's like asking when your car will become a segway. It theoretically possible to make a segway out of a car, but it's far easier to just forget the car and just make a segway. (Pak sets could possibly be reused.)

The problem with innovative consepts is that they are time-consuming and risky. Simutrans is actually doing innovative things at the moment, but it has led to many errors and a long period without any stable builds (and there is still a long way to go). We simply don't have much time.

And Simutrans is open-source. Anyone who wants is free to make their own fork and do whatever they want. But I don't think the few forks do any better, despite getting promotion and their own boards on simutrans.com (one has since asked to be removed).

Dwachs

Quote from: Max-Max
The focus seems to be more on code formatting rather than on working code.
My focus is on having a stable program, without bugs, that compiles without serious warnings. My focus is on working on clean patches, that change one thing at a time. My focus is to help people who report bugs and work on patches. My focus is not on white-space changes and not on enforcing a coding style up to the byte level. My focus is not to argue about licenses, c++, and oo programming. My focus is not on having endless arguments of this-is-better-than-that. I have to admit this does not work hundert percent of the time, sadly.

What is your focus?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Ters

Looks like both sides may see the other as rambing on about coding style and design patterns.

Max-Max

Quote from: Dwachs on November 27, 2013, 06:57:55 PM
My focus is on having a stable program, without bugs, that compiles without serious warnings...
If you had tested my full patch you would have found it without compiler errors and working. For warnings, well there are a bunch of warnings present since before I joined, why not focus on them?

Quote from: Dwachs on November 27, 2013, 06:57:55 PM
What is your focus?
Do I sense a trace of sarcasm here?

Quote from: prissi on November 27, 2013, 05:32:47 PM
You patch was judged as a patch. I cannot judge your ideas, I can only judge your code. It was a more complex way to draw images than needed, so I decided to implement a simplier version.
But I told you and every one else that it wasn't a "patch" patch, it was work in progress for the sole reason that you wanted small updates. If you won't accept a patch like that, then you should have said, no we will not look at it, finish the project first.

However, the way button images are draw changes absolutely nothing on how the GUI elements are arranged for different sized boxes.
That is because you refused to look beyond the patch. I said the patch was the base structure for the theme system that I will build on. I did explained how this was going to be used, but I still got old assumptions as replies (in best case, usually no reply at all).

In the latter there was no progress for a long time, which is the real show stopper for any themable UI. Well that will most likely be my task for now it seems.
So is it my fault that I had to wait for you to implement stuff in the trunk? What should I have done? My way to respect your efforts where to not post a new patch every week that cancels the patch you worked on. Instead I waited for you to implement them before I continued. So this isn't really in my hands...

I had planned to finish this before Christmas, but that was with the assumption that my code went straight in to the trunk (or whatever)... Instead I have wasted weeks in waiting and now it is my fault?
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Ters

Quote from: Max-Max on November 27, 2013, 09:00:02 PM
But I told you and every one else that it wasn't a "patch" patch, it was work in progress for the sole reason that you wanted small updates. If you won't accept a patch like that, then you should have said, no we will not look at it, finish the project first.

They didn't say that because, as they wrote (even quite early on if I remember right), they didn't want you to finish the entire complete rewrite of the GUI before accepting a patch from you. Such a patch would have been refused as being too large, as some of your work in progress were apparently already becomming too large. They wanted you to complete one small part, submit a patch, complete another small part, submit a patch, and so on. Instead they got a patch with a little bit of work on several things (or so they claim at least). Unfortunately, as has already been briefly mentioned, it's hard to see the big picture when it's served in small parts.

prissi

Certainly, but it was never completely finished, or rather never really optimized. You can do this yourself, it is very simple. Just look at the source provided there.