News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

install pak sets

Started by sdog, March 11, 2013, 12:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bjarni

Quote from: Ters on March 12, 2013, 03:34:39 PM
There does not seem to be an installer for Mac on the download page. I've heard that Mac has something called bundles, but beyond that, it's unknown territory.
I would highly recommend against putting downloaded pak sets into a bundle. A bundle is basically a directory with the binary, an image file (icon) and stuff like that. Everything inside the bundle is deleted when the user drag-n-drops a new bundle, which is done every time a new version of the binary is released. Seems stupid to redownload pak files just because you updated the binary.

As for installer. There is none for mac (or at least I haven't found it). Just unzip and execute from the directory you unzipped into. OSX is a POSIX system, which means get_pak.sh should work just fine. However users rarely open the terminal and even worse get_pak.sh appears to fail on mac. It runs just fine, downloads the zip, unzips it into some unknown location (presumably not even on the HD) and then deletes the zip. Presumably this is just some path issue, which should be solvable.

I think the nicest solution would be to let simutrans handle it itself. Basically put the pak page from the website (which is down atm) and let the user select one or more of those. It would be even better if it would keep track of versions and go "there is a new version of pak xyz. Do you want to down it?" when you start the game. This feature should be active before the pak set is chosen and this whole discussion issue would be solved once and for all.
A new problem would be to get somebody to code this stuff though. It shouldn't take too much development time away from new game features  ::-\