News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Residential Highrise

Started by Sarlock, February 23, 2014, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarlock

Something that I've been playing with on and off for the past few weeks, finally found some time to get it closer to a release version:

The story height (2.9m) is to scale but I might increase it a bit anyhow as it doesn't quite match up with the other pak128 buildings, which use a 3-4 meter story height.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Fabio

Beautiful building. My standard scale is 20+ px for ground floor and 15-16 px for the other floors. 2.90 m should be increased with the 50+ cm of actual concrete floor dividing the storeys. (My rule of thumb is 1 px = 20 cm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gauthier

Nice one. Indeed higher floors would be nicer, I'd rather say about 14px, 15 or 16 looks too high to me.

Fabio

15. 14 per storey and one for the floor ;)

Sarlock

~13px per floor.  It looks a bit too "stretched" at 15, so I think this is a good compromise.  I also brightened up the brick texture just a bit.  I might make it a bit more brown and less red, I'll keep experimenting with that aspect.

Fabio

:thumbsup:

gauthier

Very nice, just the right amount of details, well done  :thumbsup:

Alex. Brose

Very SimCity-3000-ish, what is meant as a big compliment. :-)

Zeno

Yeah, that's a nice one, Sarlock! :)

Sarlock

Thanks for your input, as always!

I've made a brown brick version, I think it looks nicer and fits better with pak128 than the red one.  Thoughts?

Zeno

Can't we get both?  :P
Maybe the brown for an older period, and the red for a more modern version...

BR84

Right, keep them booth. Makes higher diversity to the game.
All looking great!

Sarlock

I think I will, great idea!  I'll make it two different eras.  I might introduce a whiter one as well and see how it looks.  I can also easily produce different heights as well.  Not sure if this building would look right in a taller version but it would certainly look fine at half its height.

BR84

Depends on the time line you decide to use them. Now we see 13 floors what is the usual ammount in the 50/70s. As I know it was not restricted by architectural issues, just the fireworkers ladders hasn't been long enought to reach the upper floors at this time.
And for ST I think too tall buildings are not really nice for the city view.
How about a white/grey one with some graffiti at the lower levels?

Sarlock

And the white version... which actually turned out nicer than I thought.  Took a bit of work to get it to have the right "concrete" colouring.

I actually think it's the nicest of the three.  It might look really nice converted to a pak128.Britain version too.

Fabio

The white version is spectacular.
I would keep them all in the same timeline, with the white for temperate and hot climates, the red one for cold climates, the brick for temperate and Mediterranean.

Go on: add winter version and commit at leasure ;)

Half height version would be welcome as well.

Sarlock

Exactly my plans... I'll produce a version that has around 6-8 stories, depending on what looks best.

Would still be nice to produce something in the 15-20 story range, but I can't find a design that looks nice, it ends up too skinny on a single tile.  I'll keep working on it, I'm sure it's possible :)

Fabio

For 15-20 story buildings, I would rather prefer office towers rather than residential, at least at this stage. At the moment res buildings are a nice ensemble, with a quarter of them still requiring revamping. Com buildings, on the other hand, are a sorrier lot, especially at level 50+.

Sarlock

That's actually my primary goal... but every time I make something it just doesn't look right.  So I took a stab at a residential and it worked... I will learn from this and hopefully have more success with a commercial building (hopefully!).

saaws

greenling

Hello Sarlock
Those Residential Highrise Building looks very good out. but gives those building in winterlook too?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!