News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

1991 Dennis Dart (9.8m, Carlyle-bodied)

Started by FS1819, November 20, 2013, 07:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FS1819

This is my very first attempt at using the 3D modelling method. It is very, very crude, as a result. :(

It is modelled after the Darts in service with China Motor Bus in Hong Kong. But it is very easy to delete the AC unit to make it look like a UK vehicle.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

That is interesting - thank you for posting. May I ask - what did you use to model these? To get them into the game, it is necessary to import them into Blender somehow.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

FS1819

Google Sketchup 2013.

I have updated the graphics a little.

LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Do you know of any way of getting these images into Blender?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

FS1819

No, sorry. I am trying to learn it. Or, I can try to position the camera in Sketchup to isometric view. But I am not sure how the scale works in that way.

I know that I can export it to .dae and open it in Blender. But what follows is what I don't know.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on November 20, 2013, 09:36:12 PM
Have you read this thread by any chance?
That is what I have been trying to do. Unfortunately, this is what I have got:

My model is full-size. If I choose "View All", the view just goes to infinity and beyond, where nothing is visible.

Edit: This is how large it is.  :-[

LEYLAND FOREVER!

The Hood

Rescaling is no problem. Select everything then press "s" followed by a scale factor - e.g 0.1 would make it 1/10th size etc. All Sketchup imports into blender have this problem at first but thankfully trivial to fix.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, that is a bit on the large side. You need to (1) open a .blender file containing an existing 'bus; (2) save that file with a new name; (3) import your model into a different layer than the existing 'bus; (5) resize it (hotkey "s" then type a proportion, such as 0.01) to be approximately in the right sort of scale; and (6) adjust the size more precisely until it is in scale with the existing 'bus. Once that is done, you can then render and export the images.

FS1819

Thank you for your help. How do you change the background colour to Simutrans transparent colour though?
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

You do that after exporting. First, use the Rneder Post Processor tool (also known as "ImageMasker") to combine the 8 images into a single image. Then, open the image in The GIMP. Open another image that already has the background colour in it, and use the dropper tool to select the background colour. Go to the flood fill tool, and set the tolerance to zero in the tool properties. Then use the flood fill tool to replace the black background with the Simutrans background colour.

FS1819

I can't pak the file properly using Online-Dat. Would you mind paking it for me please?

Thank you in advance.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

kierongreen

Try changing dat to following:

obj=vehicle
name=Dennis_Dart_CMB
copyright=FS1819
engine_type=diesel
waytype=road
length=7
freight=Passagiere
payload=59
speed=100
cost=1500000
weight=7
power=97
gear=095
RunningCost=65
intro_year=1991
intro_month=4
retire_year=2013
retire_month=11
Constraint[Prev][0]=none
EmptyImage[S]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.2
EmptyImage[N]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.4
EmptyImage[E]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.0
EmptyImage[W]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.6
EmptyImage[SE]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.1
EmptyImage[NW]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.5
EmptyImage[NE]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.3
EmptyImage[SW]=Dennis_Dart_CMB.0.7
----------------------------------

name shouldn't contain spaces and if you aren't using smoke or sound then just miss those out.

FS1819

It still doesn't work. I suspect it is the website's problem. I have tried Safari, Chrome, and Firefox and it still doesn't work.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

FS1819

Online-Dat -> Dat Upload -> /*Upload the files*/ -> Save .dat and create pak

I have got Windows working now. So I might try using the Windows makeobj.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on November 21, 2013, 11:39:38 AM
How did you create the .pak file?
I used Online-dat. But it hasn't been working in the past few months. I am trying to use makeobj now that I have got Windows working on my Mac.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Ahh, I have never used Online-dat, so do not know how it works. Do let us know how you get on with Makeobj. You might find that you need to make the 'bus a little smaller and the roof a little darker to fit in with other vehicles.

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on November 21, 2013, 07:11:17 PM
Ahh, I have never used Online-dat, so do not know how it works. Do let us know how you get on with Makeobj. You might find that you need to make the 'bus a little smaller and the roof a little darker to fit in with other vehicles.
I will probably make the current white regions a very light shade of grey instead.

By the way, what is the standard colour for Pak128Britain windows? The current one I use is the darker special colour.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

kierongreen

greenling

Hello FS1819
That the onlinedat have not packing a pakfile out your Png and dat, lay on on your pngfile.
Onlinedat works on a linuxsystem and there can a wrong pngfile format get a strikeof onlinedat.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

FS1819

Quote from: greenling on November 24, 2013, 11:21:45 AM
Hello FS1819
That the onlinedat have not packing a pakfile out your Png and dat, lay on on your pngfile.
Onlinedat works on a linuxsystem and there can a wrong pngfile format get a strikeof onlinedat.
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean my png file is somehow in the wrong format?
LEYLAND FOREVER!

Lmallet

If I recall correctly, your PNG needs to be in a colour depth of 24 bits per pixel (usually via your image editor's save options).  Your file above is saved in 32 bpp.

FS1819

I used PakHelper and it works now. I don't know how though. How does PakHelper pak a file without me selecting a png image?

Anyway, thank you very much to everyone who helped me.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

Pak128.Britian is an open source pakset, so you will need to release the sources (.dat and png) for this to be included.

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on December 09, 2013, 01:31:34 PM
Pak128.Britian is an open source pakset, so you will need to release the sources (.dat and png) for this to be included.
It is the same as the files above.

*edit: I will upload it anyway.
LEYLAND FOREVER!

jamespetts

The Hood

jamespetts

May I ask, do you have a .blend file for this? I ask because it will be necessary to rescale all the road vehicles at some point to make them match the other vehicles, and this can only satisfactorily be done with the original .blend file.

FS1819

Quote from: jamespetts on January 20, 2014, 12:35:10 AM
May I ask, do you have a .blend file for this? I ask because it will be necessary to rescale all the road vehicles at some point to make them match the other vehicles, and this can only satisfactorily be done with the original .blend file.
Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xokyfj0r6y29tu2/Dennis%20Dart%20New.blend
LEYLAND FOREVER!