News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Autosave issue on Linux

Started by jamespetts, February 02, 2015, 12:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Dschr has pointed out in an e-mail that the autosave function is not working for him (he is running Linux), yet, when I test it on my Windows system, it works fine. I have been through all the things that might have lead to a false report of an error (setting the autosave to on both in simuconf.tab and the GUI, making sure that the pakset simuconf.tab does not override the base simuconf.tab, setting autosave to 1 so that it saves on the first month boundary, asking him to check the directory manually), but to no avail. I cannot understand why this should be different on Linux than Windows, especially as (1) manual saves are unaffected; and (2) the autosave code is no different from Standard.

Can anyone offer any insight into this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

I would recommend installing a Linux "Virtual Machine" and testing yourself. Once set up you can possibly use it to debug any Linux bugs that are reported. It is also completely free if you use a program like the free version of VMware and will not slow down your active Windows OS (it runs as a process inside it).

It is important that the issue is re-creatable on other Linux systems, full OS or Virtual Machine to rule out errors such as permission or specific installation errors. One thing I noticed was that some path buffers, such as from the command line, might be bounded in length limiting the maximum possible file depth that Simutrans can be used at. Although the limit is reasonable (I doubt most people ever use paths that long) it still could be an issue for some specific installations.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I am running Linux, so it's possible I might be able to assist. Also the Linux VM is a good idea. Xubuntu or Linux Mint might be good distros - modern, but not as heavy as Ubuntu with its Unity window manager.

DrSuperGood

I found Debian to be good because it is less prone to complete failure as Ubuntu is (which I managed to get into an unrecoverable OS state 3 times after a fresh install for one reason or another).

Since it is a virtual machine it avoids all the partition nonsense and is completely isolated from your main OS.

dschr

Hello All,

as this thread affects me I want to specify it a bit. I run GNU/Linux Parabola with 3.18.5 kernel in a 64 bit system and no matter how I set autosave, I am not able to have automatically saved games.
If you want to help, the first step would be if you could verify if this also happens at your recent Linux build.
1) Please compile Simutrans Experimental from Source from the devel-new branch, available here:
https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental/tree/devel-new

2) Take a decent pakset and set autosave >0

3) Look if they appear or not.

I would be very glad for any help.

Oh yes, and I also suggested in my very first e-mail to set up a Linux-Testing enviroment in a VM but James said that it has a high workload to set up a new graphical debug enviroment for simutrans on Linux and to get into it.

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

O01eg

I've just check it and don't see any autosaves.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.