News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Discussion, was: Re: How to build an underwater tunnel - version 102.2

Started by iranair787, November 26, 2009, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iranair787

I know this may not be the place for it, but how do you get your graphics to be as smooth as you do? For me it seems a bit grainy even though I have a high end system
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2
PAK128.britain 1.0.5.0.102

DirrrtyDirk

That's because you are playing pak64 and these pictures were done with pak128. In pak128, graphics are bigger (they have more pixels) - so they have more room for details and for smoothness.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

iranair787

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 26, 2009, 10:18:02 AM
That's because you are playing pak64 and these pictures were done with pak128. In pak128, graphics are bigger (they have more pixels) - so they have more room for details and for smoothness.
I'm guessing the britian pak im trying to install includes 128?
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2

DirrrtyDirk

It doesn't "include" 128, it is just done in 128 size (that's why it's called "pak128.britain"  ;)

iranair787

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 26, 2009, 10:21:59 AM
It doesn't "include" 128, it is just done in 128 size (that's why it's called "pak128.britain"  ;)
ah so I have to download and install pak128 separately. Thanks!
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2

DirrrtyDirk

No, you don't. The set itself is done in 128 - that's all there is to it.

The Hood

No, it's completely separate.  128 just refers to the tile size.  Pak128 is the original, global pak128 (the first set in 128x128 scale), pak128.Britain is a completely different 128-scale set with a British theme.  You can mix and match pak files from the two though (because they are the same tile size), but this isn't generally recommended.

You can of course have two (or more) separate paks installed at once and you can choose which one to play by editing the pak_folder_path = pakXXX in simuconf.tab (just add or remove comments "#" as appropriate).

PS Note to mods here: probably worth splitting this topic and moving it somewhere appropriate like Help requests...

iranair787

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 26, 2009, 10:24:22 AM
No, you don't. The set itself is done in 128 - that's all there is to it.
I got to say it is quite confusing all these transport games. There has to be a tutorial on everything. The wiki is shady on some aspects
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: The Hood on November 26, 2009, 10:31:15 AM
You can of course have two (or more) separate paks installed at once and you can choose which one to play by editing the pak_folder_path = pakXXX in simuconf.tab (just add or remove comments "#" as appropriate).

If you plan on playing more than one pakset I'd recommend on leaving the # in front of all pakset entries, so that simutrans will ask you on startup which one it shall load. Or you can create different shotcuts to the .exe file that tell the program which pakset to load. For multiple paksets, I think these options are better than the static simuconf.tab entry.

Quote from: iranair787 on November 26, 2009, 10:31:32 AM
I got to say it is quite confusing all these transport games. There has to be a tutorial on everything. The wiki is shady on some aspects

Actually adding and using different paksets is still the easy part... wait until you hit the more difficult things to learn (like railway signalling, etc)... :-[ It is know that documentation is really lacking in Simutrans, especially for beginners. And I don't feel like things are improving, in a way they seem to get even worse - more and more single, parallel and competing projects... all hidden in even more places and adresses... Luckily I know for myself where i have to look for things, I doubt I'd be able to figure it out if I was new.

You might want to check out the Starter Guide and the Reference Manual (http://docs.simutrans.com/), if you haven't done so yet. And of course these forums here. Sometimes they're the only place to go to.

iranair787

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 26, 2009, 02:35:38 PM
(...)
You might want to check out the Starter Guide and the Reference Manual (http://docs.simutrans.com/), if you haven't done so yet. And of course these forums here. Sometimes they're the only place to go to.

Thanks for that. I really wouldn't like this forum to become like the transport tycoon one though. Some people on that forum act as though they own the forum and don't help out even if you do everything like search before or just ask for things that others want.
Thanks again!

Mod note: please, avoid long quotes from a post that is just above yours. Why should I read an entire post again? - Igor
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2

iranair787

Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2