News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

SMSC April 2012 Edition: Small cities

Started by vilvoh, April 01, 2012, 05:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Here we go with a new edition of the Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest. The April's topic is Small cities. Show us your cities with less than 2.000 citizens.

Rules

• Only one picture per user
  • Picture max size: 800x600
  • Available picture formats: png or jpg
  • Topic: Small cities
  • You may use any pakset you want
  • Zoom is allowed.
  • Please indicate if it's from a real game or not.
  • Please include a short description and mention the pak you've used.
  • You can upload the picture to an image hosting service like imgur, imageshack.us or photobucket and then post link to the image here.
  • The nomination period ends at 15th April. Then, we'll make a poll to decide the winner(s)
Prize: A mention at Simutrans Hall of Fame, compliments by the community and one post including your picture in the official blog.
Have fun!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

isidoro

First timer here.  I'm pretty nervous...  But first time will be always remembered, I know...

The image belong to a real game I'm now playing, but Public Service is used profusely.  Pak128-Britain with no add-ons.

This picture of Canterbury was taken in 1966 and the city only had 792 souls in that time.  Canterbury and Sittingbourne (south, out of the picture) are twin cities.  In fact, quarrels between two wanna-be bishops ended with two cities and two cathedrals in the same place.  Later on, unsurprisingly, both cathedrals were blown up but the two cities remained and so did their rivalry.  Those issues are settled in the only shared infrastructure both cities have in common: the cricket field.  Old people still remember that the army had to be called in one of those matches.

Nature is magnificent around the cities.  In the west, recreation can be found in Lake St. Gabriel, but watch out, part of the shore is reserved for nudism (don't zoom in the picture, it doesn't have enough resolution to see simucitizens bathing...).

Old settlers chose this place due to the mild climate, but mainly because of the river, the only rive I know of with two names: Canterflow first and Waterbourne, then.  Do you guess where the frontier lays?

Fighting with each other, the inhabitants of those two cities lost the train of progress and political influence they enjoyed in the past.  Proof of that is the electricity infrastructure you can see on the top left part of the image.  Electricity passed the cities and never stopped by.

kierongreen

Barnstaple, September 1888 (Pak128.Britain)
The Bideford to Exeter service has just left Barnstaple Railway Station, while one horse drawn omnibus service has just left to transfer passengers across the River Taw to the town centre. Another omnibus is just arriving, unfortunately these passengers will have a bit of a wait for the next train but at least they have plenty of time to purchase a ticket.

This is from a real (and geographically accurate) game.

Roads

@isidoro

Love the story, love the picture, love the tunnel entrance!

The screenshot actually has an element of good photography where it draws your eye to the center of the picture...you are not looking around trying to determine what to focus on.

@kierongreen

Sounds really great!  The picture does not display for me however.

EDIT:  Sorry it did display...must have just been my slow connection to the internet today.  The little horse omnibus is so great! :)
It is really a beautiful little town you have created - the red and gray with a bit of white as well as the layout with the river - all very good.

@Vilvoh

Do I need to re-submit "Mars Hill?"  The city is most definitely from a real game which I am still playing and will be for sometime I imagine. :)
That said, it is not the default setup.  What I did was begin with an empty map, chose my city locations and some of the industries.  I did not give myself any extra money but I did in this game use God's money to create the roads initially (not to all the cities) and pay for many of the sign locations.

Note by Fabio: I take the liberty to quote you here from the other thread:

Quote from: Roads on April 01, 2012, 08:14:33 AM
Mars Hill, population 1601, January, 1938

Most of the citizens here are furniture makers and clearly they appreciate their trees. :)

isidoro

Combuijs

Below you will find the village of Witton Twambrook, county of Nesland in the land of Balconia. Situated between the sea and a high mountain top space was always an issue here. The village has 1299 inhabitants at the start of 1974. In the past there has always been differences between the Downtown and the Uptown people, but diplomatic interference from the new developments in Witton Rushbrooke in the north east has given the village a new united feeling. There are rumors that a railway station is going to be build to connect the village to the south western part of Balconia.

Own pak (pak64.combuijs) heavily based on pak64. Real game on the Balkan map by Carl Baker.

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Enkort

Onjuku
It's realization of real town of Onjuku, Chiba Prefecture, Japan
The name of the town is made of two Chinese characters, the first meaning "honorable", and the second meaning "residence".
The economy of Onjuku is dominated by summer tourism and commercial fishing.
It's from real game, Pak128.japan.
There is railway station in Onjuku operated by JR East's Sotobō Line and allows access to Chiba and Tokyo.

Isaac_Clarke

Palavas-les-Flots

Situaded at the seaside,  Palavas-les-Flots is not directly a city but an isolated quarter which depend of the agglomerate of Montpellier (220.000 inhabitants). Palavas is the most famous seaside resort. Each summer, thousands of simutransiens come to party. The neighborhood has tons of nightclubs, entertainment venues and hotels. Somes of simutransiens call the district the "Springbreak city".
Besides being a TV tower, the white tower is also a great panoramic restaurant at 100 meters high, which you can admirate the beautiful evening sun setting.
A bus service connects the center of Montpellier at the resort. A tramway which will connect Palavas to the rest of the agglomerate is planned.

Real game with pak128 and addons.
I Used the Public service for build the district and bought each buildings by myself after it
Inspired by a real city:  http://www.palavaslesflots.com/

alexbaettig

So I try it again:

Here is Renville in 1885. Renville is a small town in the middle of an small island. The docks are so far away from the town that the town built a steam tramway on the road to the docks. This caused small growth to occur and new houses were built next to the tram depot.
Link to the image: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/917/simscr63.png

It is as you can see from pak128.britain with no visible addons. It is from a real game using a Hong Kong map.

Fabio

I love to play with huge cities, but these small villages look all so neat! It'll be a difficult choice.

mEGa

Hi,
My proposition : Ile d'Yeu

A quiet little city in famous isle of french west coast : 1417 citizens. One sea food factory, one bus line and... plane network to sell around the world cans of european pilchards !
You can also see a ferry of Yeu... French particpation of previous contest...

Real game runs in pak128 110 with some french addons
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

derajjared

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this small town have called southern city inspired in some Latin American municipalities.

pak 128 by: derajjared
the game is improvised

Milko

Hello

Congratulations to all, the choice will be very difficult.

Giuseppe

yavuzselim1516

AKSU CITY
Population: 1985
Year: 1920
(Pak128 Britain)

Aksu City is located at the left end on the map. The city is very little but it has a dock, a train station, a tram line and 2 bus line. The dock and train station are used for inter city transportation. On the other hand, the tram and bus lines are used for inner city public transportation.

The tram and bus lines are operated by city municipality (belediye), ferry is operated Şehir Hatları (City Lines) and train is operated Devlet Demiryolları (State Railways).

Aksu is a tourism city so ferries only come to city in summer also in winter, trains are not operated.

Fabio

Welcome, yavuzselim1516!

Great first post ;)

yavuzselim1516

An_dz

prissi

Cherry blossom at the old pagoda, and the rice has been freshly planted. The late morning diesel car leaves the station. Not so much travellers arrived, but the fresh fish for the sushi restaurant was eagerly awaited to prepare for the lunch runsh.

pak64.japan, testgame (display of building etc.)

Roads

I had put off making any more comments on the cities I saw here because it just wouldn't be appropriate commenting on every one but with this entry I can't put it off any longer - all of these are so great!  I guess I can look forward to next competition and hope the engine drops some of the really nice stuff by Mhz, Joker, Raven, Gelion (sorry if I forgot anyone) on Mars Hill.

EDIT: RMax500 :)
Also I want to say that I greatly appreciate the work of the artists who did the most common structures although, IMHO, less beautiful, the stories with them are often entertaining.  They are the workhorses of the game and without them we would likely be staring at what I and people like me have done and that is nothing!

sdog

Hoş geldiniz yavuzselim1516!

Ich wuensch dir schoenes hanami Prissi, wann ist es so weit in Berlin?

@mEGa, being farily well acquainted to the ferry now, i was happy to see Ile d'Yeu for the first time.

@all: I enjoyed the new extended image descriptions greatly, thanks a lot for writing them.

mEGa

Quote from: sdog on April 07, 2012, 03:41:33 AM
@mEGa, being farily well acquainted to the ferry now, i was happy to see Ile d'Yeu for the first time.
Oh it isn't like reality ! Real isle of Yeu is biggest and have several little contry cities ! the magic case of the game !

The competition is very interesting because there are several views of the various paks. It is always instructive moreover.
I like it !
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

yavuzselim1516

Isaac_Clarke

This edition is very successfull, full of beautiful screens! Good luck to everyone.

Eric Moreira

Translated into google translator.

Complex three villages Copacabana, Porto Velho, Piracicaba. Responsible for a large annual revenue, for being there canexão small cities by trains and boats beyond the industries on site cresimento also responsible for the city.

There is a real game
Do not use add-on
Pak 128 + buildes
Resolusão: 800x600

Traduzido em google tradutor.

Complexo de três vilas Copacabana, Porto Velho, Piracicaba. Responsaveis por um grande faturamento anual, por ser pequenas cidades há canexão por trens e barcos alem das industrias presentes no local tambem responsavel pelo cresimento da cidade.

Não é um jogo real
Não uso add-on
Pak 128+buildes
Resolusão: 800x600

Site: http://imageshack.us/f/32/simscr13.png/
I do not speak other languages​​, only the Portuguese (br)
Não falo outras línguas, somente o Portugues (br)

diegoviagens

Pack:128 (and other) real game

Thisis one of severalcitiesthat make upmy gameversionBRAZIL
Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

ӔO

Small riverside town
Pak128.Japan
Not a real game

Probably on the Iida line in Aichi. It used to be a major line, but time has not been kind and all that's left are overly large stations for the amount of usage it receives. Most of the towns that are serviced by this line tend to be spaced out quite badly, as it is in the mountains and there is less land that is suitable to build upon.

I wish I had more familiarity with this pakset, which would have allowed me to place more suitable housing.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

checksumdigit

here is an entry for Pak 96c. This is actually from a scenario I'm working on:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9717

TommPa9

Village in South Bohemia.

Screen of one of cities from my actual game.
Used: very old version of pak128 (maybee 4 years old)+some addons from CZ subforum. (here bus Karosa C 934, Train ČD 113+ČD Bmto+ČD Ds953)

Fabio

@diegoviagens

I suggest you take a new screenshot from the game, instead of using Windows screenshots.
Your image is promising, but the window border and start bar really spoil it. You could also exclude the minimap and the labels, but this is up to your taste.
Alternatively, you could crop the existing image to leave out unwanted parts.

DCD

Amarivo

the   most small city of  my nation   lasanwea
Real game
Pak 128  and  various  addons

.             SIMUTRANS--SIMUTRANS  

vilvoh

This is going to be a hard-fought contest... Last days to upload your candidates!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Eric Moreira

[PT]: LOL. Esse vai ser "da hora" muito acirrada. Atenção gente esse mês vai ser emocionante!
[EN]: LOL. This will be "cool" too stiff. Warning people this month will be exciting!

Que vença o melhor e boa sorte
                                                That beat the best and good luck
I do not speak other languages​​, only the Portuguese (br)
Não falo outras línguas, somente o Portugues (br)

Vonjo

At The End of The World

This is a beautiful town at the corner of the world. The town surrounds a small mountain with a deep valley around it. As you can see, there is a small city hall at the north end of the town, at one of the highest point of the town. The city hall has a beautiful view of the sea below to the north of it. However the view to the city is obstructed by the mountain. The city hall help protect the town from the attack from the north, by giving early warning to the citizen before the attack (which has never happened).

The mountain and the relative higher land at the north of the town center protect the town from any possible attack from the north. At the south and east of the town center are a huge, void, and seemingly endless ocean. The southeast ocean itself is unreachable and lifeless, but yet calm, quiet, and beautiful. No one which still bound to their body can reach the southeast ocean. People believe that at the end of the southeast ocean, there is heaven. That way people feels safe to stay near the southeast ocean.

When you visit the town, you will almost likely to arrive at the small port in the north, below the city hall. Then you climb up to reach the area near the city hall. The trip from the city hall to the town center is very beautiful. Along the way you can see two observatoriums, some houses, and villa you can rent, just after the city hall. If you pass the highest point of the town, you can see almost everything: the north sea, the south ocean, the city hall, and the town center. Right after the highest point, you will do a long amazing downhill, with the town center right in front of you, below the hill. At the center of the town center you can see some tall buildings surrounding and a monument at the center. There are some tall buildings because the terrain makes it hard and expensive to open a new land. After the town center, you can turn left and continue the short seaside trip, while seeing the void east ocean. At the end of the road, you can rent two villa facing the east ocean, just beside a hill.

Pak64 no addons. The city is autogenerated with some modifications. This is not really a real game.

ӔO

This must be the most participated SMSC ever.  :o
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Roads

Vonjo, I have to say I'm impressed with both your city and your story.  I would be more so if the city came from a real game but you have certainly demonstrated a great degree of creativity in both the city design and the story.  Actually, I loved the story.  It sounded like a well versed tourist guide who was proudly proclaiming the attributes and lore of his town.