News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

compiling on osx

Started by ojii, July 05, 2013, 12:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCollett

Quote from: dannyman on August 05, 2013, 04:10:25 AM
MCollett what build settings do you use for single-threaded?  My compiles come out slow as molasses . . .  :/

I've got sdl, color depth 16 and optimise = 1

FLAGS = -I/usr/include

-d

Does the question mean that you think mine are faster?

DEBUG = 0
OPTIMISE = 1
FLAGS = -DUSE_C -DNDEBUG

(compiled with clang on OS X 10.8 )

Best wishes,
Matthew

ojii

Sorta gave up with pthreads... would love for someone with more c++ proficiency than me to have a look at my branch.

TurfIt

See attached patch (NOTE: for standard NOT experimental). Using either this homegrown barrier implementation, or the native MinGW one works for me, but I don't have a mac...
Please try this with standard on a mac compiling multithreaded.

jamespetts

Thank you - can anyone using Mac OS X check this and see whether it works, and, if it does, whether it can be adapted to Experimental?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ojii

I can't find the original simthread files in the standard repo, could someone point me to the right location? (Or maybe just paste simthread.h and .cc here so I can try to adapt it for exp)

TurfIt

The files aren't in the standard repo, but in the patch attached above.

ojii

my bad, didn't read the diff correctly.

will give it a stab tomorrow, way too tired tonight.

ojii

applied TurfIts patch and after some tweaking it compiled. code is at https://github.com/ojii/simutrans-experimental/tree/osx-multithreaded

I still have the same issue though that the compiled binary is barely usable. clicking buttons takes many attempts to register and once one manages to start a game, the UI is so unresponsive that it's absolutely unplayable. i fear for now we need to stick to non-threaded osx binaries.

TurfIt

But by applying to experimental, rather than standard, now we don't know if it's a problem with the OSX threading, or with experimental vs standard...

jamespetts

Ojii - can you have a go at compiling this with Standard to see whether that works?

However, if both your single threaded and multi-threaded binaries don't work properly, perhaps the problem is elsewhere. Can you get Dannyman's binaries to work to a reasonable level of performance? If so, there is some other compilation issue.

Dannyman - can you try to compile Ojii's multithreaded version?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

ojii

On Standard the app crashes with "2013-08-12 17:10:02.377 sim-std-threaded[67070:707] *** -[__NSArrayM objectAtIndex:]: index 18446744073709551615 beyond bounds [0 .. 41]" on loading the pakset.

jamespetts

I should be very grateful if anyone could make a Mac version (even if single threaded) of 11.5.

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on August 16, 2013, 10:57:15 PM
I should be very grateful if anyone could make a Mac version (even if single threaded) of 11.5.

Here is 11.6:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans-experimental.11.6.zip

Matthew

jamespetts

jamespetts

Sorry for putting you to trouble again so soon, but we now have the 11.7 release and I wonder whether we could have a Mac OS X version of that? I should be very grateful.

jamespetts

We now have 11.8 released with some bug fixes from 11.7.

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on August 22, 2013, 11:41:05 PM
We now have 11.8 released with some bug fixes from 11.7.

I thought it probably wasn't worth doing 10.7. ;)

Here is 10.8:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans-experimental.11.8.zip

Best wishes,
Matthew

jamespetts

Thank you very much!

Incidentally, are these 32-bit or 64-bit?

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on August 23, 2013, 09:47:35 AM
Incidentally, are these 32-bit or 64-bit?

I'm compiling on a 64-bit system and haven't set any flags asking for a 32-bit binary, so I suppose they are 64-bit.

Best wishes,
Matthew

jamespetts

Thank you - I have updated my post to reflect that.

transporter

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the best place, but I am trying to start the binaries for OSX 10.6 and it always fails, citing an illegal instruction. I'm thinking this is because it's missing some of the files that come with the Standard OSX downloads. So what, besides the pakset, should I have in the folder containing the Ex binary?

MCollett

Quote from: transporter on August 25, 2013, 12:39:20 AM
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the best place, but I am trying to start the binaries for OSX 10.6 and it always fails, citing an illegal instruction. I'm thinking this is because it's missing some of the files that come with the Standard OSX downloads. So what, besides the pakset, should I have in the folder containing the Ex binary?

You need the configuration files and at least one set of translated texts (see screenshot for the contents of my folder).  But I compile on 10.8, and it is possible that the binaries I produce won't run on 10.6.

Best wishes,
Matthew

transporter

Ok, are those files in Standard compatible with Ex or are there dedicated Ex files? Or a better question, why are those files not included with the binaries like Standard?

MCollett

Quote from: transporter on August 26, 2013, 12:20:27 AM
Ok, are those files in Standard compatible with Ex or are there dedicated Ex files? Or a better question, why are those files not included with the binaries like Standard?

If you go to James's announcement of the most recent version,
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=12421.0,
there's a link to the configuration files two lines below the link to the OS X binary.  That does already include translated texts, but not the music, which I think you can just copy over from Standard.

Best wishes,
Matthew

transporter

Completely missed those..But I still get the same error:

/Users/.../Desktop/Simutrans\ Ex/simutrans-experimental ; exit;
-bash: alisa: command not found
MacBook-Pro-2:~ ...$ /Users/.../Desktop/Simutrans\ Ex/simutrans-experimental ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Process completed]

Paths with profile info have been replaced with '...'

MCollett

Quote from: transporter on August 26, 2013, 04:00:31 AM
Completely missed those..But I still get the same error:

/Users/.../Desktop/Simutrans\ Ex/simutrans-experimental ; exit;
-bash: alisa: command not found
MacBook-Pro-2:~ ...$ /Users/.../Desktop/Simutrans\ Ex/simutrans-experimental ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

I've no idea who alisa is.  But is looks as though it might indeed be an OS version problem, so here is an attempt to compile with backward compatibility to 10.6:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans-experimental.11.8_osx10.6.zip
For obvious reasons, I can't actually test whether the attempt has succeded.

Best wishes,
Matthew

transporter

Same issue. All that code is the same with Standard until the 'illegal instruction.' Instead of that, it goes to "Use work dir" and a path to the folder it's in. Almost like Ex doesn't recognize where to find itself?

jamespetts

Have you tried downloading and installing Simutrans-Experimental Complete, and replacing the Windows binaries with Mac binaries?

transporter

Still same thing. Maybe I'll just wait until Mavericks comes out and upgrade then. It should have backwards compatibility right? I would assume W7 could run a XP exe the same

jamespetts

We now have 11.9 released - any chance of a Mac OS X binary for that? I should be very grateful.

jamespetts

We now have 11.10 out; anyone who is able to produce a Mac OS X build for this would be much appreciated.

jamespetts

jamespetts

Hello - it seems that the latest Mac OS X version of Experimental is no longer available for download because the link has expired; do you think that you could upload it again so that I can host it on my server?

Thank you!

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on December 09, 2013, 08:26:39 PM
it seems that the latest Mac OS X version of Experimental is no longer available for download because the link has expired; do you think that you could upload it again so that I can host it on my server?

It's back at the same link: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simutrans-experimental.11.12.zip

Note that this is still 11.12, not updated to 11.13.

Best wishes,
Matthew