News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Removing of public ways is inconsistent

Started by dschr, September 30, 2014, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschr

Hello,

I observed the following behaviour: When one tries to delete a single street tile, it forbids it with the notification: "Cannot remove a public right of way without adequate diversionary route" (as it should be). Although, if i try to delete this tile by drag&drop-tool, it deletes it without complaining. And i have to say that this feature is not one of my favourites: If you for example try to rebuild a bridge, because the weight limit is too low, you will have to delete the old one and then build the new one instead. But as this feature forbids you to demolish the old bridge, you would have to build first an equal temporary way somewhere else and, then delete the old bridge, then build the new bridge, then delete the temporary way. This procedure maybe brings an advance in multi-player maps, but for a single-player game, this can get on ones nerves.
So for conclusion:
1) The public way removing should be consistent and not rely on which tool you use and
2) I propose that it should be defeatable.

Junna

Quote from: dschr on September 30, 2014, 12:35:55 PM
Hello,

I observed the following behaviour: When one tries to delete a single street tile, it forbids it with the notification: "Cannot remove a public right of way without adequate diversionary route" (as it should be). Although, if i try to delete this tile by drag&drop-tool, it deletes it without complaining.

This would sound like an unintended bug. I haven't noticed that myself, actually.

Quote from: dschr on September 30, 2014, 12:35:55 PMAnd i have to say that this feature is not one of my favourites: If you for example try to rebuild a bridge, because the weight limit is too low, you will have to delete the old one and then build the new one instead. But as this feature forbids you to demolish the old bridge, you would have to build first an equal temporary way somewhere else and, then delete the old bridge, then build the new bridge, then delete the temporary way.

This is the intentional result. After all, you can't just realistically demolish urban infrastructure without requiring some reworking and temporary solutions.

QuoteThis procedure maybe brings an advance in multi-player maps, but for a single-player game, this can get on ones nerves.

You can bypass the requirement by using the public player (which should not be a problem in a single-player game), which is not restricted in what it can demolish as I recall, and can demolish all bridges regardless of the situation.

dschr

Mhm yes, building streets as the public player would be a workaround for this. But this has some disadvantages:
-The simutrans player can save money
-Toll wouldn't be a source of income anymore
-You would need to switch back and forth between these two players. While building, this could be confusing and disturbing as well. Wouldn't it be easier to just set an option in simuconf.tab (or wherever)?

Junna

Quote from: dschr on September 30, 2014, 11:11:57 PM
Mhm yes, building streets as the public player would be a workaround for this. But this has some disadvantages:
-The simutrans player can save money

Then you can just rebuild it as other player after demolished by the public player, if the maintenance cost is what you are after.

Quote from: dschr on September 30, 2014, 11:11:57 PM-Toll wouldn't be a source of income anymore

You can disable public_ways_are_toll_free under simutrans.tab, if you want to maintain the cost, or, as mentioned before, rebuild it as your company, if the income is what you want.

Quote from: dschr on September 30, 2014, 11:11:57 PM-You would need to switch back and forth between these two players. While building, this could be confusing and disturbing as well. Wouldn't it be easier to just set an option in simuconf.tab (or wherever)?

Sometimes, but I don't think you will find it necessary to do it often enough that it will be a problem if you are just playing (depending on how much you want to use the public player). Since your issue is mostly about bridges, touching those up as required (I assume they were not owned by player company to begin with? then using public player to replace the bridge with a new one would seem to be a fast change that would not affect much?)

As to the option, I suppose that would depend on how hard it would be for the active coders to implement (as far as I know there's only two and one of them isn't even really active at the moment). So if it is implemented it might be a while..

jamespetts

This should now be fixed in the latest Github push. Thank you for the report!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.