News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Service Stations

Started by Aquin, January 10, 2015, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquin

As of now convoys will see a depot only twice in their lifetime, first when they are bought an then again when they are sold (if they aren't sold on the fly). Maintenance will be paid for, but it never happens.
As a solution not to overcomplicate things I suggest the introduction of "Service Stations". To upgrade a regular stop to a service stop you will need to build a Depot/Workshop building. When a convoy enters the service station it will spend a fixed amount in addition to its regular loading time to be serviced. Every schedule needs to include at least 1 service Station. And convoys should need to be serviced after a fixed amount of time and/or kms. Overstreching these limits will result in increased running costs.

The time spend for maintenance could be based on
- time since last service
- km since last service
- fixed basic amount
- convoy specific
In the schedule one could select service intervals, e.g. every time, every Xth time, as soon as X% of maintenance interval is reached.

Upgrading and retiring convoys could also happen at these stations.

jamespetts

This is an interesting thought, although could give rise to more complexity than initially meets the eye. Before I respond in any detail, I should be interested in canvassing others' views.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Would mess up schedules too much I would imagine.