News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

[11.35][origin/master] inconsistent station catchment areas

Started by melee, March 15, 2015, 09:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

melee

Using a self-compiled Linux build of the 'origin/master' branch from yesterday, with Pak128.Britain-Ex-0.9.1. (I also have pak.64-experimental but it refuses to load, so I can't test with it.) I can check on pre-compiled Windows next time I boot into it, which may take some time.

I'm seeing all station types shown with large catchment areas, about 16 tiles from center, while viewing them with 'v'. While building them, various sized areas are shown (like 4 tiles for cargo and staging posts, and 16 for ports and other passenger things), but once built, they are all the large size. In my screen shot is a staging post, which during building goes out 3 tiles, but after being built looks like a port.

The game seems to consider the shown catchment area as real, reporting the stop within walking distance, and they gather lots of passengers, so it's not just a visual thing.

jamespetts

This is intended: there is a different catchment area for passengers and mail than there is for freight, as it is much easier to walk 2km than it is to haul a tonne of coal 2km. The size of catchment area shown will be large if the stop accepts passengers and/or mail, and small if it accepts only freight, but the effective catchment area will always be large (default: 16 tiles) for passengers and mail and small (default: 3 tiles) for freight.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

melee

Is it supposed to do that for freight-only structures? I see the full-size catchment even for something like a goods siding. Seems confusing that it's showing me the passenger catchment radius for a goods-only stop.

jamespetts

Are you referring to the transparent overlay ("v" key) or the overlay shown when placing the stop?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

melee

The transparent overlay. The stop-building highlighting is as I would expect, but changes once built.

jamespetts

Vladki

What about making v to cycle between pax coverage, cargo coverage and none.

jamespetts

That could also work - but what do you suggest be shown in cargo coverage mode of passenger only stations and vice versa?

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on March 16, 2015, 06:38:00 PM
That could also work - but what do you suggest be shown in cargo coverage mode of passenger only stations and vice versa?
nothing. in pax mode only pax enabled station coverage should be shown and vice versa. Perhaps there should be also separate view for mail.

jamespetts

This seems sensible. It might take a while to get around to this, though, given the queue, unless somebody else would like to have a go...?