News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Avenue & Roundabout

Started by Raiser, December 04, 2012, 07:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiser

Hi,

to learn the basics of painting i'm working on some Avenue and Roundabout addons. Maybe as station-extension or as ways. Besides Aesthetic aspects they are quiet unusual for gameplay but tree covered country roads will certainly look great in the game :)

So what do you think? Change colours of the fence? Other Tree? Include Traffic Signs? Any ideas?

Here you see a small roundabout - a second bigger one is planed - i added lantern and guiding piles and some shrubbery.

Screenshot

For the Moment...

Raiser

Vladki

It would be nice to code it as monument, because when monument is built it is surrounded by road on all sides...
If you want better signs for roundabout, try this: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9551.msg89780#msg89780
Latest version of pak files is here: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Sarlock

Looks very nice, Raiser, good work!
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

mEGa

Really fine Raiser.
Don't forget snowy aspect ;)
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Raiser

Quote from: Vladki on December 04, 2012, 08:41:17 PM
It would be nice to code it as monument, because when monument is built it is surrounded by road on all sides...
If you want better signs for roundabout, try this: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9551.msg89780#msg89780
Latest version of pak files is here: https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Yes , i'll make the Roundabout as a monument. The Signs are exactly what i was looking for - why are they not included in pak128? Thank you Vladki!

Raiser

Quote from: mEGa on December 05, 2012, 06:35:23 AM
Really fine Raiser.
Don't forget snowy aspect ;)

Thank you mEGa - I await the comments from you pak-artists before i try the winter aspect.

Regards

VS

Quote from: Raiser on December 05, 2012, 10:08:02 AM
why are they not included in pak128?
Because the sign shows as if on tile A, but really exists on tile B. It also suggests some effect, which is in fact a fake and depends on structure of roads and signs. In this form, I think it's too complicated for lay users (expected reports: It's broken! The sign shows outside road! Doesn't work with driving on left!). Otherwise, it is nice :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ML

By the way, am I the only one who noticed the billboard on the right? :o

Is it your work as well, Raiser? Or is it already existing part of the game which I have never seen..?

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Sarlock

I noticed the billboard... and the RV to the top left of the circle, too :)

I've been thinking of making billboards for quite a while... as a custom addon for putting alongside freeways.  It wouldn't work as a building as I don't think it would like right just randomly placed by the game in an residential area.

Fabio

A crazy idea: road signs with negative maintenance. Placing billboards could help you scraping a few bucks, as the adv companies rent your space.

Vladki

Quote from: Raiser on December 05, 2012, 10:08:02 AM
why are they not included in pak128? Thank you Vladki!

You are welcome. I started to make my roadsigns because those in pak128 are badly positioned and do not look like signs I see in my country. Now they are included in pak128.cz, but if you like them, just download the whole pack (cs_road.pak) and they will replace the standard road signs. And if the pak128 maintainers like their appearance I will be more than happy if they are included in official pak128.

transporter

Quote from: Fabio on December 05, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
A crazy idea: road signs with negative maintenance. Placing billboards could help you scraping a few bucks, as the adv companies rent your space.

If only that part about being a transportation sim wasn't around :p But maybe instead of negative, they do have a cost, but you get an increase in pax and mail volume for the city/area

Sarlock

The general idea is that if something isn't entirely intuitive in its use/placement, it's best offered as an addon than directly included in the pak.  The improved signs are certainly better than the originals in appearance but their use is a bit trickier.  Maybe there's an extension request somewhere in here to make road signs a bit better on curves/diagonals.  I recall as a beginning player how difficult it was to figure out which way the signs were facing when placed (this includes rail signals).

Raiser

Quote from: ML on December 05, 2012, 04:22:11 PM
By the way, am I the only one who noticed the billboard on the right? :o

Is it your work as well, Raiser? Or is it already existing part of the game which I have never seen..?

This Billboard is just a test modell to look out how some varieties act in a boulevard scene. I'll make some better work to fill this up for a full, typical city boulevard.

The "Friendly Girl" Camper is inspired by shunter's campsite addon "campsite", i just thought this idea forward to this scene which appears, and everybody knows, when he's leaving highways, waiting left or right at crossroads :)

greenling

Raiser
The Photo that you be postet have looks very interesting out.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

mEGa

I had an idea. Could we not create a special road sign for roundabount and more particularly for rotating parts of streets as my picture shows it ?

What are your thoughts about it ?

Fabio

Well, no entry signs are now placed in the middle of the road and this leads to misalignment on curves.
It would be good and useful to realign them to the entrance of the tile they refer to.

Sarlock

That would be really nice if we could make that change, it would look so much better than to have them in the middle of the road on curves.

Vladki

Just check my signs repository. All my roadsigns are aligned on the border. And the NoEntry sign is included as well.
https://uran.webstep.net/~vladki/simutrans/pak128/cs_road.unpacked/

Fabio

Quote from: Fabio on December 06, 2012, 05:18:14 PM
Well, no entry signs are now placed in the middle of the road and this leads to misalignment on curves.
It would be good and useful to realign them to the entrance of the tile they refer to.
Quote from: Sarlock on December 06, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
That would be really nice if we could make that change, it would look so much better than to have them in the middle of the road on curves.

I was wrong, road signs *MUST* be aligned to the *EXIT* of the tile, not at the entrance.
I moved them accordingly. I also updated min speed (80 and 100 km/h) signs to the European standard, on which most road-related features are based. Also road block needed some update.
No entry looks a bit odd at the exit of the tile, so I added also a One Way sign on the other direction, using a standard (square with straight arrow) used in Germany, but also in Italy and in other countries (the more standard blue arrow didn't look well).
In r1081.

mEGa

VS

Ah, perfect!

Just a note - when I wrote the previous message, it was specifically for the roundabout sign.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

greenling

Fabio
You have by the Signs make a good work.

Raiser

I tried the Winter aspect to the small roundabout - comments please :)

mEGa

Good beginnings.
Some suggestions
- I mean tree is not the same as summer stage. they must be.
- Why color of fence is not the same too ?
- the shadow on circle is not right.

I kwow that it's difficult to apply snowy aspect to your first drawing. Maybe you should a little simplify it.

VS

Nice one :) What mEGa says is true, though. Myself, I wonder if the snow fits texture on ground...?

greenling

Raiser
The photo look ver good out.
I like it.

Raiser

Quote from: mEGa on December 16, 2012, 07:32:18 AM
Good beginnings.
Some suggestions
- I mean tree is not the same as summer stage. they must be.
- Why color of fence is not the same too ?
- the shadow on circle is not right.

I kwow that it's difficult to apply snowy aspect to your first drawing. Maybe you should a little simplify it.

Hi, thank you for your replies. Relating to your suggestions i changed the Tree because there was no Winter-Version, adjusted Shadow and restored colour of the fence. Testing in game i didn't find errors. I think the Roundabout is done now?

greenling

Cool.
It very nice this tree.

mEGa

Quote from: Raiser on December 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
Hi, thank you for your replies. Relating to your suggestions i changed the Tree because there was no Winter-Version, adjusted Shadow and restored colour of the fence. Testing in game i didn't find errors.
Good improvement !
Quote from: Raiser on December 16, 2012, 09:18:39 PM
I think the Roundabout is done now?
I'm agree. it will be an excellent addon imho.

prissi

If coded as monument it will also be always a roundabout. Since monuments are only build once, you would need roundabout1 to roundabout9 repeating objects in pak

greenling

Sarlock

It's very nice, Raiser!  I like it :)

Fabio

VS

Roundabout is as a (single) monument in r1134! Thank you!

Fabio

In r1134 you also edited werner's monument.
IMHO a monument to a server shouldn't be introduced before 1970.

VS

I guess it depends - is primary timeline, or presence of all monuments?

Fabio

IMHO monuments should appear at different years (spaced at least 2-5 years) so to reduce the chance they all appear clogged up in a single city.
Most monument in Pak128 are tributes to Simutrans contributors: a kind of important Easter egg. Hence I would personally prioritize timeline so that every now and then a new monument appears in the map.

greenling

All Monuments need a Timeline.

VS

That's actually a far better idea than I could come up with!

I would make some always available, then start introducing the rest in in 1850. There are currently 15 of them...

greenling: why?

Fabio

Quote from: VS on January 06, 2013, 07:26:24 PMI would make some always available, then start introducing the rest in in 1850. There are currently 15 of them...

Seems a good plan!

If we make, say, 5 always available, we could phase in the other 10 one each 12 years introducing the last one in 1970.

We should think also of some new monument: Prissi (I'm thinking of him riding the nuke/liquid nitrogen container as in his avatar, it would look so great!), Dwachs, Kieron, Timothy, yourself, Zeno, Igor, vilvoh just to cover the main contributors to the game engine, pakset, and forum.
With more monuments we could think of introducing one every 10 years or  one the sixth year between two regular 12 year releases.

Sarlock

We need to make a Fabio one too.   :)

VS

Yes! Fabio also also forgot hellmade (years of hosting), knightly (programming), Combuijs (maps), FrankP (everything), tttron (years of svn and mysterious refactoring)... I am sure there are even more.

Prissi already stated he wants to get a monument only when he's gone, and I will second that. Maybe we should make this a topic? "Do you want a monument or not?"

ny911

I used nightly r6261 and pak128 2.2.0 r1135

and fount the roundabout (see picture)

It flickers/changes the winter/summer season with every screen frame

VS

**** - and I wrote the dat myself, so I can only cuss at myself again :) Thanks for the report, fixed in r1136.

Raiser

Hi, back from Holiday in Nantes i made a second roundabout for country roads without ground. The next one will be a big 3x3 or 5x5 tile roundabout for two way cityboulevards.

Regards

Raiser

In game screenshot:

mEGa

Quote from: Raiser on January 15, 2013, 08:11:52 PM
Hi, back from Holiday in Nantes i made a second roundabout for country roads without ground.

No really ? I live near Nantes in France... And my job is in Nantes... So we would have been able to pass each other ;)
Roundabout of Nantes are famous (double...) ! They had to inspire you I mean.

So, I like your new creation. just fine.

greenling

Markohs

Those roundabouts look dangerous. :)

gwalch

Dangerous ? Not so much... but really boring ! ;)
French Elements Creator :
-By Rail with trains and trams : X3800 Picasso and BB36000 Astride - trams from Nantes, St Etienne, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Reims...
-By Road with Trucks : Main painter for the "french trucks company", with trucks from 50ies (Willeme "Squale Nose") to 2000 (Renault AE500 "Magnum) and a lot of trailers... and with Trolley and Buses : Irisbus Cristalis, Man Lion's City, Irisbus Magelys...
- Industry : Collaborator for french food with Wine and Cheese...

Raiser

Quote from: mEGa on January 15, 2013, 08:32:38 PM
No really ? I live near Nantes in France... And my job is in Nantes... So we would have been able to pass each other ;)
Roundabout of Nantes are famous (double...) ! They had to inspire you I mean.

This is crazy - I thought something about that before. I saw many roundabouts like the second one there, and a lot of new buildings/infrastructure too. wherefrom comes the money? In germany this is not possible...

Raiser

In between i made a Guide Piles Way-Object, but i can not see anything in the game - what did i do wrong? Icon & Cursor appears, also building the way works!?! i tried out different ways to write the DAT file - however, everytime the same problem. The PNG is withot Alpha-Channel. As basis-template to place the Guide Piles i used road_050.

Would somebody help with the DAT-File?

Regards

Raiser

Vladki

1. remove the summer/winter images. Use just one for all.
2. Use FrontImage and BackImage instead of Image.
3. (Optional) do not use spaces in file and object names.

Raiser

Quote from: Vladki on January 17, 2013, 09:57:07 PM
1. remove the summer/winter images. Use just one for all.
2. Use FrontImage and BackImage instead of Image.
3. (Optional) do not use spaces in file and object names.

Many thanks Vladki - Now it works - i don't know why, but using underlines in file and object names resolves the problem!?! currently i'm able to adjust the fine-position of the guide piles.

Vladki

Quote from: Raiser on January 18, 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Many thanks Vladki - Now it works - i don't know why, but using underlines in file and object names resolves the problem!?!
No, it does not solve your problem, but it helps to avoid other problems in the future. Think of some automated scripts, that use space as input separator and many scripts fail when there are spaces in file names. The same applies for letters with diacritics or other scripts (Cyrillic, Greek, etc.) Different systems use different encodings (utf-8 is not yet everywhere) and something that works perfectly on your computer might be completely unusable somewhere else. It is always safer to name the objects in English (with underlines) and put localized translations to xx.tab files.

Raiser

Ok, i will consider this aspect in future :) What do you think about Guide Piles? I will also add guardrails and alley with threes.

Vladki

I like them, but I would prefer them to be built automatically with the road. Similarly to new highways from fabio which have some guards already included.

greenling

Hello Raiser
Your Plies on the Photo look very good out.
I like those Plies. :thumbsup:

mEGa

Quote from: Raiser on January 19, 2013, 12:21:19 PM
Ok, i will consider this aspect in future :) What do you think about Guide Piles? I will also add guardrails and alley with threes.
I think it's nice idea. Specially alley with threes.

Raiser

Hi, Guide_Piles are completed - here they are:

If you discover a bug or if you want to add some notations let me know - i will modify the piles.

Have Fun!

Raiser

greenling

Raiser that it a Nice Addon.

VS

The new roundabout is really beautiful. It can not make the road one-way all by itself, unfortunately :( Also, if drive on left is activated, these signs still point to the right. Because of these two problems, I think it would be better to have it only as addon. The graphic is still gorgeous anyway! :)

Guide poles are really nice eye candy. I would love to have them as part of the set!

Raiser

Quote from: VS on January 28, 2013, 06:45:00 PM
The new roundabout is really beautiful. It can not make the road one-way all by itself, unfortunately :( Also, if drive on left is activated, these signs still point to the right. Because of these two problems, I think it would be better to have it only as addon. The graphic is still gorgeous anyway! :)

Hi, thank you. It's no problem to remove the signs if this would help.

Guide poles are really nice eye candy. I would love to have them as part of the set!
Everything i paint for pak128 is without copyright and free to use in pak128 if favored! Also everybody is welcome to modify or use my paintings for other things.I would gladly upload the sources, gimp files, etc. if desired. So, it would be a pleasure for me when some of my paintings where incorporated to pak128, if you like my stuff.

Regards

Raiser

Raiser

Hi, One simple question:

Is it possible to make "way-objects" with winter-grafik? Or is this only on roads possible? I tried to make an Alley as a way-object with winter-grafik but it does not work? I found nothing in the wiki about this aspect. If this works not, i have to compile the Alley as a road...

paco_m

Raiser

It can not make the road one-way all by itself, unfortunately :( Also, if drive on left is activated, these signs still point to the right. Because of these two problems, I think it would be better to have it only as addon.

Hi, i removed the direction-signs from the roundabout, so it can be used for left-/righthand  traffic. Also i removed the Guide-Piles because they are currently as way-object available.

greenling

Who Raiser
The new Roundabout looks very good out!

Raiser

Safety Barrier!

I did some rework on Fabios Safety-Barriers from road_130 and compiled them as a way-object for independent using on other roads. To avoid problems with bridges or other roads, i placed them a little further inside. Please Post here if you find a bug or if you have other demands.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

greenling

Raiser
The new photo are cool.
You have make a good job.

Raiser

Alley!

After eternal trial and error the Alley is (may) completed. I had to juggle with front/backimage to delete some bugs which cause that the trees are not correctly displayed. It wasn't possible to delete all bugs, but i think i found a good agreement. The Road is classified up to 100kmh speed limit, just like typical country roads in my country. Please Post here if you find a bug or if you have other demands.

The source files are too big - so they are hosted outside the forum:

Download (7zip with sources):

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Alley.7z

Have Fun!

greenling

Hello Raiser
The photo looks good out!
Do you live in germany in the city with the Stuttgart?

Sarlock

Very nice, Raiser!  Those look great!

gauthier

It just lacks pavement.
Cities will be able to build such aesthetics by themselves ?

Raiser

Quote from: gauthier on February 22, 2013, 09:16:54 PM
It just lacks pavement.
Cities will be able to build such aesthetics by themselves ?

Hi Gauthier, the Ally is just intended to be used like a 'Country Road' between cities. I experimented with some grass & scrub besides the street, but that looked a bit 'too much'. IMHO a 'City-Boulevard' would need sidewalks too. The Screenshot should only show the possibilities of the Alley.

Raiser

Quote from: greenling on February 22, 2013, 06:13:38 PM
Hello Raiser
The photo looks good out!
Do you live in germany in the city with the Stuttgart?

Thank You Greenling! - The Appearance of 'Stuttgart' in my Screenshots happend only by chance ;) I'm living in Hannover, Lower Saxony.

Isaac_Clarke

Raiser, your alley addon seems very interesting! I'd like to download but it didn't work, mediafire say the file is damaged or encrypted :(

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Isaac_Clarke on February 25, 2013, 11:30:37 AM
Raiser, your alley addon seems very interesting! I'd like to download but it didn't work, mediafire say the file is damaged or encrypted :(
the same problem ::'(

greenling

Hello Raiser
can you look after your link http://www.mediafire.com/?y4n5omsrhc65g6n
mediafire said it gives damage in the zip.

Raiser

Hi, this is very annoying :(

MediaFire does not support unlimited downloads for encrypted archives if you don't have a premium account.

Does someone know a better possibility to share files online advertising free, or is it possible to upload bigger files than 64kb in this forum?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Raiser on February 26, 2013, 11:53:35 AMDoes someone know a better possibility to share files online advertising free, or is it possible to upload bigger files than 64kb in this forum?
The forum attachment system is meant for small files that we use for development stuff, such as pakfiles and diffs for source code.

Use this: http://files.simutrans-germany.com/, don't forget to set zero in "days valid" field or the file will be deleted.

Raiser

Yes! Thank you for your quick Reply.

New url:

Alley (7zip with sources):

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Alley.7z

mEGa

Very nice I tested this day. Good idea !

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It is certainly possible for me to create ftp accounts someplace - then a link could be given for a direct download... the server can handle tons and tons and tons of downloads :)

mEGa

"Temp" repository to submit project pak under construction will be a good thing, I mean. So members will be also delete old uploaded files when pak ready for inclusion to official pak.
I suggest sftp and not ftp (better for security reason, you certainly know that).

Isaac Eiland-Hall

sftp requires a linux user, i.e. creating a subdomain for each user, which also requires bothering Timothy.

For something like this, my opinion is it's okay for FTP; otherwise I tend to agree. :)

For a regular Simutrans user - I think the offer of space on the server is still open - and especially so since the community is pretty much paying for the server. :)