News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Trains slow down on stop signals even if next block is free

Started by steffen, August 15, 2015, 01:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steffen

Hi,
I'm having a little problem with train signals and I'm not sure if I'm just using the signals wrong or if it's a bug. As a side-note, I was told  imutrans Standard has a bug where lack of space between signals causes trains to slow to 50kph, however, I get the issue even on lone signals. I took a screenshot of a piece of my normal (at least I believe this is the normal way to do this?) double track line with stop signals and one-way signals. The trains slow down to approx. 48kph (of 97 max) when hitting this in either direction. The same happened when I built just stop signals a little further up the line. I'm having this on commit db045c0 with an almost original pakbrit-ex.

Cheers, Steffen

Junna

It needs distant (pre-) signals as well to allow higher speeds at the moment (distant signal - stop signal - stop signal - distant signal) It's currently very counter-intuitive figuring out how to set it up to allow smooth operation.

jamespetts

Train drivers need to know in advance that a stop signal will be at clear, or else they have to slow down just in case it will be at danger. For that, you need distant signals. The operation of stop and distant signals and their relationship with each other needs a little reworking when I finish the code for signalboxes, on which I will be working very soon.

Edit: Incidentally, I plan to make a video tutorial for this type of signalling when it is in its final state in the same style as the drive by sight tutorial.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

steffen

I thought it would be something like this ;)
Not sure I like this, just seems a little excessive.

In any case, I can get some signals to operate as expected, but not others. I figured maybe the one way signals between stop and distant are the issue, but deleting them didn't seem to have an effect (which is good). So I thought maybe the distance between distant and stop signals. That gave some improvement, but I cant figure out what the right distance is.

Take the attached screenshot Trains travel to the right on the top line, and the to left on the bottom line. They come at 97kph in both directions. Both have a stop signal immediately preceded by a distant signal, in the respective direction. The top trains slow to ~48kph, the bottom trains fly straight through. There is nothing else for over 20 tiles in either direction on either line. What am I doing wrong?

steffen

Here's pictures of the next signals before/after the screenshot, does it have anything to do with those?

The upper track is the same one on all three pictures, but they're quite far away from each other so they're not really recognisable on a sufficiently distant zoom level to see them at once

Junna

Why do you have two-way signals despite having one-way signs?

Also, as far as I recall, one-way signs cause problems with the signalling. They seem to disrupt the communication between signals...

steffen

I removed all one way signals from a line, but I'm still seeing trains slow down for no apparent (to me) reason. I'll try with the new version and report back.

Edit: Though it does work on most signals.

As for the two-way signals, well, I figured there's no harm, and this way I can't accidentally have the signal on the wrong side ;)

-----------

Tried making the signals unidirectional. Now my understanding and game mechanics match, except for one thing. You can see the train departing at Novosibirsk, note the stop signal just before the platform. There's also the train at the top left - this train is in the process of slowing down to 47kph. Now if I add another pre+stop signal pair between the two trains it works as expected. But shouldn't the train already fly through the section as it is on the screenshot? Everything between the presignal and the second-next stop signal is empty after all? This is on 05c65c9ccfca3e75c3a165592fe9783de95e0fb2

Junna

Currently all trains I see slow down before entering a station if they are stopping- then they accelerate before beginning the actual station stop braking. I think this is probably a bug.

I can't seem to see your last picture, though?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Steffen, please do not double-post. I have notified you twice now.