News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

World Citylist

Started by Roboron, October 28, 2023, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roboron

For the upcoming server I'm hosting I need way more city names than default pak128 provides, so I created a citylist.txt of world's most populated cities, with nearly 800 cities (more than enough for any Simutrans game). Here it is.

Source is https://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities, I'm also attaching the script I wrote to generate the list from the source, in case you find it useful.

Octavius

I see the two largest cities of my country are on the list, and none of the smaller ones. Good. Although it doesn't really matter if these aren't exactly the 778 largest cities in the world.

The list may need a little bit of cleanup though:
- To be politically correct, Kiev is now usually called Kyiv in English texts. Odesa already has the Ukrainian spelling in your list.
- Taipei and New Taipei are both on the list. The latter is basically an extension of the former into a new administrative region.
- Several Chinese cities have the name of their province suffixed.
- There's the issue of handling conurbations. Islamabad and Rawalpindi are on the list separately, but form a single conurbation. West Yorkshire (on the list) is a conurbation without a single dominant city (the main cities are Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield and Wakefield). The Ruhr area is a similar conurbation without a single dominant city (the main cities are Essen, Dortmund, Bochum and Duisburg) in Germany, with a larger population than West Yorkshire, but is not on the list. I think that some cities are only on the list because the population of the entire conurbation was counted, but others are left out because only the city itself was counted.
- The city names are a mixture of endonyms and English exonyms.

As there's no need for the list to be a complete list of large cities, it's probably best to leave off the questionable places.

Roboron

Feel free to improve an share back the result. I don't have any particular opinion on how to handle conurbations, but I guess it is better to leave them out if the same criteria is not applied to all.