News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Making money and oil rigs...

Started by ZBOX, January 19, 2014, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZBOX

Using pak128 Great Britain , really struggling to make any sort of profit (have a few quite a few guides etc)

Currently the game im playing i give myself a 1000000 starting budget instead of the default 300000, and thought i would try and make use of a large oil refinery seeing as there was an oil rig close aswell as an oil well

(i have checked and they are all supplied and consumed by other other) so i build a port then a station (all one station name) put down some storage tanks build a depot lay two tracks up to the oil refinery.

the build a line from the oil well to the oil refinery. (set all trains/ships to load 100%)

the a bit later i build two lines from the oil refinery - one line goes to the furniture factory and the other line goes to the paper mill (i have made sure that each train/ship is carrying the right cargo cars, and taking each load to the right destination)

So in all the  oil refinery is all connected up like this:

Consumers - Furniture factory and the paper mill

Suppliers - Oil Rig and the Oil well

Yet i am losing money at a rapid rate, my vehicle earnings stand at 85M and operation costs are at 157M.

Anyone have any tips to help me improve the financial situation, as i can see myself going bankrupt soon again, I thought Oil would be a nice money spinner.

Also with the Oil rigs at first the ships would not load (have two ships) they just stayed at 0% load for a long time.

kierongreen

It may be that you built too much infrastructure for the traffic using it. Stations and track can cost a lot to maintain if they aren't being used.

Vladki

You also have to complete the chain. Deliver furniture to shop. Paper to printer and so on. Otherwise the production will stop.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

ZBOX

Thank you Vladki and Kierongreen

I did complete the full chain, but production was very very slow (due to the oil ship and oil rig).

well i did built quite a bit of infrastructure, (i did not consider this)  i built 1 oil rig which had 2 X expensive big oil ships, going to a port which had a large double track station, which lead onto a four track station at the oil refinery, which had tracks off too an oil well, furniture shop and paper IIRC. with 6 desial  trains each with 10 large cars.

and the station platform which very large (think i built them too big)

So would you suggest when setting this kind of operation up, to build it very small and use less trains etc ?

Also at each station you have to put storage yards down, does it matter if you only put one at each station ? i was put like 3-4 of them at each station thinking that i could store much more goods there - is this a good thing to do or is is costing to much money ?

Cheers.

kierongreen

Use as little infrastructure as you can get away with - start small and only add if you're having problems with capacity. That means shorter trains, single track railways and so on to start with.

Vladki

It is better to start with simple chains, typically power plants. And when that is making some profit, continue with more complex chains. Food chains in pak128.Britain are also quite simple (vegetables, fruit, grain, fish, meat)