News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Enhancement Harbor area and extensions

Started by mEGa, February 26, 2013, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

After going through this thread again, I am a bit confused. mEGa, what exactly are the remakes of original docks that should be committed?

(I am also not certain if anyone actually understands how docks are supposed to work. You don't put a waypoint directly on the dock, but next to it... Thus, the ship should not go "on" it, really. But the short docks are nicer that the current "dock + ugly box" model :) )

Being able to build harbours freely from more tiles would be nice, too... That's a dream we share all, I guess.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Combuijs

Quote(I am also not certain if anyone actually understands how docks are supposed to work. You don't put a waypoint directly on the dock, but next to it... Thus, the ship should not go "on" it, really

As far as I understand it, a dock can have size 1 x n, where there is only one land-tile: (0,0). The others (0,1) to (0,n-1) are water tiles. Those water tiles can be selected as a waypoint. A ship can go right through those water tiles. It will moor parallel to the land-tile.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

VS

Well... I tried it, and to my shock, ships rather happily drive float through the docks regardless of position of waypoint. So it doesn't even matter :( I can now see 100% why the new docks will be better.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mEGa

Oups I was lot of busy. I'm confused too.
So I don't understood what's happen. I modified existent harbour pak to make an water area for that ships don't stop through infrastructure.
I thought that I was made as you can see in this snapshot :

Haven't you the same result when you tried ?

note : I added winter aspect too
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

VS

Stopping area for ships is on (any) empty water next to a dock. That's how it always worked.

But - often, ships move through dock anyway, even if the stopping tile is not on the dock itself. So the improvement is real.

INJMVO

The new tiles from mEGa (with the buoys) make it clear to the player were to put the waypoint.
This tile will be put in front of all the ready harbor tiles (for now only the ones mEGa revised)

After revising the old tiles we came to the conclusion that we needed more harbor tiles for different time periods. That's where I come in. I have made the template for a few different harbor tiles to build on. (with the possibility for corners but they are not in the code yet)

After those Raiser proposed for other objects to make the harbor more beautiful.
so we stepped onto the levees. (but those need a bit of code to make them work so I don't know how far we will go with them)

I have made the canal quays in the same style as the harbor so you can now unload a ship onto a barge. (see image below)

I also heard we needed a passenger terminal (and we need a image to get people inspired)
what better place to let them wait as on a ship that stands on the docks :P (.png .dat and .pak)

INJMVO

I have made some harbor tiles for pak192 in the hope that they participate http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11708.0
And don't tell anyone but I think I have found some secrets since we need to test how it looks:https://www.dropbox.com/s/wylipj8350wqudw/HarborSecrets.pak
We got some new things now so I really want to see how you would use the new extensionsSo can you all make your dream harbor and upload a screenshot of them and talk us through them?Here are the pier tiles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bjd4lmpcjo9dyq/HarborPiers.pak
(would you use wide harbors, mEGa stop/buoy tiles everywhere or only in a few places, how wide do you want the pier to be, how do we use the levees, what are the differences between a industrial(steam) and a container harbor, how would the ships need to move (choose signal), etc)

mEGa

Well,
I give you "gantry_crane" model for accessories. Good enjoy ;-)

Then, I don't know how to proceed and haven't any path to continue. Too much tracks ? For me, real difficulties are the problem of slope appearance and half tile or not.
@INJMVO : your test for platform is interesting and bypass the problem, but IMHO it seems too much "stairs". I think we must find an issue for platforms templates.
To keep compatibilies of existent games with pak128, we must modify existent harbour set on 1 tile as I made. We have 2 solutions :
- we commit what I modified (with buoys), (if you're agree)
- we modify them with new idea and aspect (but we must validate a version...)
After, we could create new pakset with that we spoke in this post.

Finally, ideas of levees are very fine, but I don't see in which category of pak tidying up them. Ships shouldn't run through them. Thus would be element of ports ?

I hope you understood me with my poor english ;-)

@INJMVO: I crashed Simutrans (112.2 r6390 & pak 128 2.3.0) with your last purposed harbour paks. Any idea ?

VS

So, we are in the process of getting half height. What about the 4 reworks of already present docks - do they work now? I think there was much work done on these and it seems nearly forgotten...

I hate wasted work :)

Fabio

mEGa and Sarlock should have svn access now and they're welcome to finish and commit them as they find appropriate. Otherwise I'll add this to my overlong todo list.

mEGa

Quote from: Fabio on November 23, 2013, 02:51:01 PM
mEGa should have svn access now and he's welcome to finish and commit them as he finds appropriate. Otherwise I'll add this to my overlong todo list.
Hi,
right. But i want to show you my work before commit. I mean I will improve my last proposition without rail track slop (Useless now with half height tile):

kierongreen

Well yes, what to do with half/full height slopes with regards to harbours needs to be resolved.

Fabio

Presently the pakset is in a work in progress stage, so partly done updates can be committed and then updated.
I would focus now on double height usability and later on perfecting the graphics.

greenling

Hello Fabio
I have remark that the double height/ Half high code in my brain make many big trouble that i can not work on new modells.
Please reading the bugreport then i will so sone write.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

mEGa

@Fabio:
Ok. I noticed.
This week I'm going to collect last ones pak in the current state and commit these for tests.

Fabio

Thank you! I think that taking advantage of nightly builds will increase testing and feedback.

Sarlock

I'd be happy to help in any regard.  My graphical style differs a bit, so there might be some clashes there, but I can certainly take things and resize, move, test, etc.  My schedule is very busy for the next 6 weeks but I will have a lot of time to devote to projects mid-January.  I also have a major release of new trees, hoping to be ready by early spring.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Tazze

Hello, mEGa. I always use your updated harbor.
regarding of this graffic,one more crane please.(IMHO)
sorry too late to say :-[.
Quote from: mEGa on November 23, 2013, 03:00:18 PM

By the way, how's this crane?
Quote from: mEGa on March 11, 2013, 04:46:34 PM
Well,
I come back with new version (under half-tile) and a new designed crane :

Pier : a background wall offers a border
Crane  is coloured with color player and appears since 1942 (like date of original pak) It freely inspired by real crane used in Saint Nazaire (Harbour of France)

A simple pier can be create without any crane but with containers for example to complete this set.
What are your thoughts ?

mEGa

Quote from: Tazze on November 26, 2013, 01:41:21 AM
Hello, mEGa. I always use your updated harbor.
Thank you for this ;)

regarding of this graffic,one more crane please.(IMHO)
sorry too late to say :-[ .
All right. Soon I'm going to continue this work. But at moment I update current horbor pakset to prepare half height version of pak128
By the way, how's this crane?
As I said previous paragraph, I will continue this work to offer more different addons.

So I commited my recent work improving current harbor pakset :

I'm going now to adapt slope for half height version and delete the background wall.

Fabio

Sarlock

Tazze

mEGa

Well I improved one of harbour pier to test adaptation of slope for half height.

commited in 1339 revision

If you agree, I will improve other docks with this adaptation.

Sarlock

Fabio

mEGa

Well,
I continue to adapt and improve current set of harbour with :
- Post_dock

- long_dock

_bulk_dock

in r1341

Edit last current set : crate_goods_dock in r1342

Sarlock

Wonderful!  Not only do we get half height docks but we also get more snow :)

mEGa

I'm glad you like it. Thanx

Envoyé depuis mon GT-S5839i avec Tapatalk

mEGa

Well I continue my design of new harbour element : with crane.
Here a draw of first piece : old pier with crane.

This element will be reversed forecast with just pier without crane but with contener
What do you mean about it ? What parameters, name...