News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Fermilab

Started by vorlon, July 21, 2013, 10:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vorlon

I have always felt that simutrans lacks science buildings. And what would be a better way to spend a cold, Lapland summer than drawing one! I decided to make a simutransian version of Fermilab, a particle physics research lab near Chicago, US. Now, after a few days work, I have reached a point where I dare to share my progress.

source png: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5731/3bs.png

I'm still a bit unsure about a few things. The main building needs perhaps stronger textures on the walls. And, the text in the booster ring might not be credible, but I just had to put it there.  :P
Any feedback/improvement suggestions regarding these and other things would be greatly appreciated. I hope that when it's finished it can be included to the main pak (though I'll understand if 15*11 tiles and 500 kb size are a problem...  ;D)

EDIT: Download links now available for old (preview in this post) and new (modified booster ring) versions.

Fabio

Great work in progress! :thumbsup:

kierongreen

Nice work - although I fear the size is far too big...

Carl

That looks incredible!

For those of us using Experimental, given the new large default coverage radii, large buildings like this might not be beyond the pale.

vorlon

Well, I thought the size might be a problem, but it's fine as an addon as well. I could make a version without the particle accelerator though, which would only span 4*7 tiles. Maybe that's a bit more reasonable size?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Fabio on July 21, 2013, 10:43:23 PM
Great work in progress! :thumbsup:
Indeed. I feel Simutrans lacks large parks a bit.

vorlon

Quote from: IgorEliezerI feel Simutrans lacks large parks a bit.

Large parks? Did you read the description?  ;D

IgorEliezer

Quote from: vorlon on July 22, 2013, 12:05:52 PM
Did you read the description?  ;D
I did, I saw it is a lab.

Still, I should take the blame for being too short. Kierongreen said he feared the size of your building was far too big, while I think Simutrans lacks large elements like parks, universities, farms... things that cover areas more than 4x4. The Simutrans maps are still a vast wild land with cities. The outdoors of your lab resembles a generous park.

vorlon

Well, the ring with trees and canal admitably looks like park but it's primary purpose is to serve the maintainance of the underlying particle accelerator. I upgraded the ring a little to resemble the reality more closely (although have to admit that it isn't as inviting picnic place as the earlier version  ;))

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1605/73hg.png
and reality: http://goo.gl/maps/40rFC

I agree with what you said though. More open parks are needed to balance huge forests and fully paved cities and, that you mentioned it, the accelerator ring is an example of this. It just wasn't what I initially had in mind. A simutransian natural park might very well be my next big project.  :)

greenling

Hello vorlon
The Photos that you paint have looks very good out and i do me wonder that a another Simutransfan that have be make. ;)
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Commander Noddy

How can I get this Fermilab addon please? I really want it :)))

May The Force Be With You Always!

vorlon

It's great that I'm not the only one on the forum who is interested in particle accelerators.  ;)

I didn't post a download link at the time because the building was not quite finished yet. However, now it seems that this is one of those projects that never get finished, so I might as well release it. I'm writing this on my tablet, but i'll edit the link to the first post tommorow when I can reach the files.

Commander Noddy

Thanks vorlon:) I sincerely looking forward to your projects:) Thanks you:)

vorlon

Download now available. Beware, there might be a few ghost pixels here and there, and only one rotation with no winter image. I have plans to release more of my add-ons all polished up in a single thread, so this might get a bit more attention at a later date. But this is all you'll get for now.  :)

Commander Noddy

Where can I download it? Thankyou:)

vorlon

links are in the first post of this thread :) so that anyone looking can find it more easily.

Commander Noddy