News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Optare Metrorider - Need assistance

Started by Mattw62, July 02, 2012, 01:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattw62

Hi there, I have created two Metroriders for the pak.

These buses were buillt by MCW in 1986-1989 and then Optare in 1989-2000.

More information can be found on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCW_Metrorider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optare_MetroRider

The green bus is for local services. This will have lower power and a lower capacity. It is based on an NCT service, with Western Greyhound colours. It is designed for local services that struggle for profit.

The red bus will be of higher power and capacity. This is for city services with low demand. It is based on a basic London livery with destinations set to the Uxbridge local services.

Screenshots in Google Sketchup:

Unfortunately I have no idea how to work blender, but my designs can be exported as a COLLADA file (*.dae). These can then be imported into blender for rendering. Would anyone be able to do this for me? They will be credited within the .dat and would help me out a lot!

The .dae files can be found here:
Local bus: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/metrorider1.dae
London Bus: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/metrorider2.dae

Thanks,
Matt

jamespetts

Matt,

thank you for doing those: we did need some new minibuses! I have loaded this into Blender, rescaled it, and produced three versions: (1) your original in green; (2) a London 'buses red version based on that pictured here; and a short version of the Red 'bus, based on this. I also altered the roof and indicator colours so as not to be too bright.

Attached are the raw exports from Blender. Do you think that you could finish the process by aligning these to road vehicle templates (note: these are not the same as rail vehicle templates: road vehicles have a unique alignment), putting them with the correct background colour and producing suitable .dat files? I have an automated workflow for producing the graphics from these raw images for rail and other standard alignment vehicles, but it does not produce the correct alignment for road vehicles, so I'd have to do it by hand in any event. Hopefully, however, having done the bit that you had trouble doing, you should be able to finish it off without difficulty!

Thank you for your additions!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mattw62

Thanks very much, they look amazing!

Im not sure if it's the zip file, or blender - but the rendering did not rotate the vehicles - so they are all set facing N.  :-[

I can make all of the .dats and hopefully get the alignment correct!

Matt

jamespetts

Oops - didn't spot that problem: faulty Blender setup my end. Revised version attached. Thank you for the work!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Mattw62

I've been away from my computer for a lot of the time, however using the AEC regal as a template, below is the .png for the london/long version. I have yet to write out the .dat file - but i'm going to start once all of the png's have been prepared.

Thanks,
Matt

jamespetts

Splendid! Do let me know how you get on. It's excellent to have more contributors. Had you thought of doing any other minibuses?

Mattw62

I've done an Optare Solo in arriva colours, although I wasn't going to publish it until I had the metroriders sorted out...

Matt

jamespetts

Very nice! Those would be good. (As an aside, we could probably do with some 1980s minibuses at some point, too, if you're up for it). Would it help if I re-exported the adjusted Metroriders as .dae files for you to import to Sketchup so that you can see how things have to be configured for maximum compatibility? I had to reduce the size very considerably to make it fit (by a factor of well over 10, I think), make the roof a darker colour (or else, given the current lighting setup, it is too light), and also make the indicators darker (as they seemed too bright in comparison to the rest of the vehicle). If you are able to do these things pre-export, then that would be helpful.

Thank you for your very helpful minibus work!

Mattw62

That would be great! Would you also be able to check over the .dat files for the metroriders? Im unsure about the 'gear' and 'length' parameters (plus the weight of the vehicle - I cant find out any info on the internet!)

Attached are the London short and long .dats. I've left out the Metrobus version until the long-lt has been confirmed. It can then just be copied over and the names changed.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-short-lt.dat
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-long-lt.dat

Below are the .png's for all the vehicles.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-short-lt.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-long-lt.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.png

I've also had a little go at the Optare Tempo SR... i've not finished yet though

Thanks
Matt

greenling

Mattw62
the new Buses what you devlop be get great.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Matt,

thank you for that - that is most helpful. Looking at the graphics, however, they seem to dark. That may well be largely my fault. Comparing to other London 'buses, the red colour should be:

R: 0.602
G: 0
B: 0

(where each colour value is represented on a scale from zero to one). The roof colour should be 0.4 red. Similarly, I increased the yellow on the doors to 0.602. I have re-exported the graphics, and they are now attached. I have similarly modified the Metrorider version, too. Could you re-align these with the templates? Sorry for the trouble.

Also, your text showed in the final graphic because it was within the 128x128 pixels around the image. The only way that you can get away with putting text at the top of the image is by adding an extra 128px in height, having the text (or the text plus space) occupy the whole of the upper 128px, and have the graphics defined as, e.g.,

EmptyImage[E][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.1.0 (etc.)

instead of

EmptyImage[E][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.0 (etc.).

As to the .dat files, I have modified them to match the standard Pak128.Britain layout. I have also added Simutrans-Experimental parameters, including making the Metrobus version a livery variant rather than a totally separate object.

The revised .dat files are as follows:

Short version:

obj=vehicle
name=Optare-Metrorider-Short-LT
copyright=MattWilson&JamesPetts
speed=80
# Extended from April 2000 to match with introduction date of Optare Alero.
intro_year=1989
intro_month=1
retire_year=2001
retire_month=3
waytype=road
engine_type=diesel
freight=Passagiere
payload=25
overcrowded_capacity=5
power=100
length=5

weight=10
cost=2800000
runningcost=110

comfort=60
min_loading_time=15
max_loading_time=50

Constraint[Prev][0]=none
Constraint[Next][0]=none

EmptyImage[E]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.0
EmptyImage[SE]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.1
EmptyImage[S]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.2
EmptyImage[SW]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.3
EmptyImage[W]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.4
EmptyImage[NW]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.5
EmptyImage[N]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.6
EmptyImage[NE]=./images/optare-metrorider-short-lt.0.7

Long version:

obj=vehicle
name=Optare-Metrorider-Long-LT
speed=80
intro_year=1989
intro_month=1
retire_year=2001
retire_month=3
waytype=road
engine_type=diesel
freight=Passagiere
payload=33
overcrowded_capacity=6
power=115
length=5

weight=12
cost=3500000
runningcost=120

comfort=60
min_loading_time=15
max_loading_time=50

Constraint[Prev][0]=none
Constraint[Next][0]=none

liverytype[0]=LT
liverytype[1]=Non-London

EmptyImage[E][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.0
EmptyImage[SE][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.1
EmptyImage[S][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.2
EmptyImage[SW][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.3
EmptyImage[W][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.4
EmptyImage[NW][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.5
EmptyImage[N][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.6
EmptyImage[NE][0]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.7

EmptyImage[E][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.0
EmptyImage[SE][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.1
EmptyImage[S][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.2
EmptyImage[SW][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.3
EmptyImage[W][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.4
EmptyImage[NW][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.5
EmptyImage[N][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.6
EmptyImage[NE][1]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.0.7

----

I tend to take the view that it is better to leave "gear" out (it is just a power factor multiplier). The "length" is probably not particularly important for single road vehicles: you can copy the value from similarly sized 'buses.

I have changed the retirement date a little to coincide with the introduction of the Optare Alero, one of the few minibuses already in the pakset, so as to leave the period without gaps. I do not know much about the Optare Solo, but if that is a direct equivalent and comes between the Metrorider and Alero, then it might be worthwhile changing the retirement date again. (It looks bigger, however, so perhaps that is not correct). I have also changed the short version to make it cheaper to buy and run than the long version (otherwise, why would anyone buy the short version?).

Finally, would you be able to produce translation texts for these to go into en.tab? Do you know the correct format for translation texts?

Thank you very much for your work on this - it is much appreciated! I shall look forward to your new 'buses, too!

Edit: I should add that, to get the long version to work in Standard, you would have to remove the livery definitions from the .dat file. The correct .dat for the Standard version of the long 'bus would be:

obj=vehicle
name=Optare-Metrorider-Long-LT
speed=80
intro_year=1989
intro_month=1
retire_year=2001
retire_month=3
waytype=road
engine_type=diesel
freight=Passagiere
payload=33
overcrowded_capacity=6
power=115
length=5

weight=12
cost=3500000
runningcost=120

comfort=60
min_loading_time=15
max_loading_time=50

Constraint[Prev][0]=none
Constraint[Next][0]=none

EmptyImage[E]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.0
EmptyImage[SE]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.1
EmptyImage[S]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.2
EmptyImage[SW]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.3
EmptyImage[W]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.4
EmptyImage[NW]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.5
EmptyImage[N]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.6
EmptyImage[NE]=./images/optare-metrorider-long-lt.0.7

----

The other Experimental parameters do not matter, as they will simply be ignored, but Standard cannot cope with the extra
  • s after the [E] (etc.).

Mattw62

Hi James, thanks for the help with the .dat's
Here are the revised .pngs for the metroriders

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-short-lt.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-long-lt.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/optare-metrorider-long-metrobus.png

In addition, would you be able to have a fiddle then render my other optare vehicles?

Optare Solo (this needs the most work):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/solo.dae

Optare Tempo SR (11m) - this is practically finished:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58305022/Simutrans%20Files/temposr.dae

Sorry about the scale of the vehicles - I draw them in full size in Google Sketchup!
Thanks for your help,
Matt

Mattw62

Also the requested translation texts:
optare-metrorider-long-lt
Optare Metrorider - London Transport 8.4m
optare-metrorider-short-lt
Optare Metrorider - London Transport 7.0m
optare-metrorider-long-metrobus
Optare Metrorider - Metrobus 8.4m

jamespetts

Thank you very much for that. For reference, I have changed the translations to:

Optare-Metrorider-Long
Optare Metrorider (long)
Optare-Metrorider-Short
Optare Metrorider (short)

This is because I have removed the livery names ("-lt") from the vehicle names, to conform to the Simutrans-Experimental naming convention of not putting liveries in the names, to fit with Simutrans-Experimental's livery system. The Hood might want to do things differently for Standard.

I have now twiddled with and exported your latest Optare .blends (do you work for Optare? :-p), and the raw exports are attached as before.

Thank you for your contributions, as ever!

Mattw62

Oh no! Im just a student who has to get the bus - and I really like optares! Haha - Thanks again for the rendering!
Matt

jamespetts

Quote from: Mattw62 on July 10, 2012, 11:25:16 PM
I really like optares!

Really? I'd never have guessed!

QuoteHaha - Thanks again for the rendering!
Matt

You're welcome - thank you for the 'buses! Let me know when you have finished aligning and producing the .dat files.

Mattw62

No problem, if there are any vehicles you would find useful additions to the pak feel free to request them! Im working on a Mercedes Vario Beaver at the moment - along with doing the .png's & .dat's.

jamespetts

Any vehicles at all, or just 'buses? There are many gaps that could do with filling in in many areas - I am currently working on 19th century railways and have some narrow gauge railway graphics to add, Giuseppe is slowly but surely going through all the aircraft, but boats is a particular area where things are lacking (especially passenger boats/ferries). We could also do with a few more 20th century trams, especially London trams.

In terms of 'buses, though, if that's your thing, then four things in particular spring to mind: firstly, we could do with a more complete set of minibuses: currently, we have the Leyland Cub (1930s) and Guy Special (1950s), and then a large gap until your Optare Metrorider. I'm not sure how many minibuses were built during the 1960s and 1970s, but I know that they made a comeback in the 1980s in a big way, and that we don't have any minibuses from the 1980s or first part of the 1990s. (We have the Optare Alero, as you may have seen, as a modern day minibus, although I think that that is no longer they very latest, so if you could produce the very latest Optare minibus, that might be good, too).

The second thing in 'buses that we are lacking somewhat are coaches: we have a few, but they are somewhat sparse, and we are missing in particular double decker coaches, such as those found on the Oxford Tube.

Thirdly, a Dennis Enviro 200 would be quite useful.

Finally, we could really do with the New 'Bus for London (the Routemaster lookalike introduced this year).

If you'd be interested in doing any or all of those things (or have any ideas of your own as to gaps to fill), then I'd be more than happy to help you with the graphics as before. Only the road vehicles need manual aligning: I can use the automatic system very quickly to align any other type of vehicle in the game.

Thank you very much for your contributions!

Mattw62

No problem! Enviro's shouldn't be too bad as they are quite simple shapes. I've had a go at the nb4l, but it's proving to be a bit difficult due to the odd shape! I think the latest 'small bus' that is actually in production would be the Optare Solo SR. I was thinking of doing some coaches - maybe a Levante?

Thanks,
Matt

jamespetts

An Optare Solo SR would be helpful; and your New 'Bus for London looks good so far! It is a bit harder than the others, though, so I can understand if you'd want to leave that until you've tried a few others. I assume that that is a Levante pictured - in which case, that looks to be a worthwhile addition to me!

jamespetts

Just under five years later, and I have now taken Matthew's three axle Levente .blend, re-scaled it and added it to the road-vehicle-rescaling branch of Pak128.Britain using the new automated processing for road vehicles that was not available back in 2012 and that had delayed this project.