News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Natural Spin-off of Comic Pak-sets Idea

Started by Spartanis, July 29, 2012, 06:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartanis

You know what? the best next natural spin-off from these comic paks, is lego pakset.. lol

If this was done.. I bet it be slightly more popular! (well for the kids to play with  :P)

Václav

May it be that if it would be off-spin of Pak192. But still, I am not sure ... (also about copyrights for shapes and so on; some time ago Czech pirate party used for pre-election advertising figures that looked like from Lego, and ... ).

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm trying to visualize what a "block building set" pakset would look like... and coming up short. Just because of the very very few pixels. Seems like it might have to be 192 or 256 to be workable. Or very very very blocky graphics (i.e. minimalism in blocks hehe).

But it does sound neat.

The only problem is that Simutrans suffers already from too few who can paint (mind, we have some incredible people; just not many people)

Sarlock

Hijacking the 3 year old resurrected message thread and redirecting it  ;D

What we really need is some tools built to make the transition easier from painted or rendered graphics to the game engine.  I can develop something in Blender pretty fast, but the process of taking that and putting that in to Simutrans is big.  Cropping issues, alignment issues from errors in the PNG file, errors in the DAT file, etc.  Even after a lot of experience doing it I still make a lot of little mistakes that sometimes stall me up for quite a while trying to figure them out.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Leartin

*caugh*

this is 3*3 in pak192.comic, so going by that scale, each tile is 6*6 'knobs' in size. I think you could have enough variety at this size to make a pakset both look interesting and have enough visual clues to keep it playable, although it would be very, very abstract. Like, cars would be 2*1 'knobs', trucks maybe 3*1 'knobs' - track vehicles might be 2 'knobs' broad, but length 8 would be only 3 knobs in length. For variety, you could use half the scale for vehicles only (any smaller and you lose the advantage of "building blocks" for easy building, and charm, too)

While lego figures might be trademarked, the actual blocks are not. I guess with my example factory, the flags and fire could be problematic if lego really wanted to sue. But a visual style for a niche game is not the same as the use by a political party.

Spartanis

Hi.... I just got back from a rather long and lengthy break. I havet lost touch to my Blender skills.. More so, i actaully improoved my Blender Skills.

However, I have lost all my files, notes, and my personal step by step guide on creating a pakset. So now i have forgotten how it is done.

Even The Wiki side of Simutrans seems changed alot, and missing alot of crucial information.

*sigh*

I wish  i have wrote up my step by step guide on WIKI so i can go back to it now.. *slaps self*

jamespetts

Quote from: Spartanis on July 21, 2015, 11:36:04 AM
Hi.... I just got back from a rather long and lengthy break. I havet lost touch to my Blender skills.. More so, i actaully improoved my Blender Skills.

However, I have lost all my files, notes, and my personal step by step guide on creating a pakset. So now i have forgotten how it is done.

Even The Wiki side of Simutrans seems changed alot, and missing alot of crucial information.

*sigh*

I wish  i have wrote up my step by step guide on WIKI so i can go back to it now.. *slaps self*

You could always work on Pak128.Britain: the Blender files are all set up for that: all that you need to do is modify the existing vehicle/building templates.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Somebody did something like that a few times for OpenTTD: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59710 and even earlier http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34999

There are program (i.e. LegoCAD) which could easily generate medels directly for blender ...