News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

128 Pak Addon Help Please!

Started by apride, August 09, 2012, 07:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apride

Hi, I just downloaded the 128 version a few days ago with the windows online installer, and I've been loving it. However, today I got to a point where I could support a small subway system. So I downloaded the simuAddon_London_Underground zip folder and tried to find a way to install it. The problem arose, when I realized that I have no pak folder in my simutrans folder. The only folders I do have are maps, save, and screenshot. And only save has something in it. Also in the simutrans folder is a default.sve, a settings xml, and a simu text document. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Václav

apride, aside of folder with maps (on the same level of folder of maps - and on the same place) create following folder(s): addons/pak128 - and there you may store all your addons.

And of course, while you are using this folder (instead of main folder of graphics of pak128), choose option load with addons in the line of pak128 on the intro dialogue.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

apride

VaclavMacurek, I tried what you said, but it told me I couldn't have slashes,commas, etc in a folder name. So I tried anyway with a space in between instead (so it says addons pak128) and put it in the simutrans folder, but there was no extra option, and there was still no difference to the game. I even put it in the maps folder hoping that might work, but it didnt.

Spartanis

Apride, this is what Vaclav meant:

Go to Simutrans Folder in your documents folder.

Create a Folder called addon

go into that folder

create a folder called pak128

go into that folder, and store all your addon's there

Or you could do the DIE HARD way,

go to c:\program files(x86)\simutrans\pak128

and put the addons there

:)

Hope that helps?

Václav

It will not run in maps folder. There it will not be found.

You can do following: relocate addons folder from user folder into base folder of the game.

So, instead (while you use OS Windows; I have not experience with else OS) Documents/simutrans/addons/pak128 will be only simutrans/addons/pak128. But it is needed to change simuconfig.tab in line with singleuser_install - there you will write 1 instead 0.

This configuration is much better - if nobody else play it on your computer.

As you write it calls no slashes, commas etc. in folder name, I have no such experience - even if simutrans folder was in desktop folder or if it is placed directly in main folder of HDD (like currently).

Spartanis, addons - not addon.  :)

Ters

If Simutrans is installed into program files, which probably is the default, setting singleuser_install to 1 will run into Windows' write protection of program files and all its subdirectories. So I wouldn't say this configuration is better. Users will probably have troubles changing simuconf.tab due to this protection in the first place, not that a compute novice will be able to locate it given these instructions in the first place.

(I wonder if the new UI for Windows Explorer that puts arrows between the directories in the path has led to a decline in the understanding of paths, or if that understanding has been this low since PCs became popular for everyone.)

Václav

Quote from: Ters on August 09, 2012, 11:00:32 AM
If Simutrans is installed into program files, which probably is the default, setting singleuser_install to 1 will run into Windows' write protection of program files and all its subdirectories. So I wouldn't say this configuration is better. Users will probably have troubles changing simuconf.tab due to this protection in the first place, not that a compute novice will be able to locate it given these instructions in the first place.
If I know well, that protection is from Windows Vista - or not? But I use XP (after very long time of 98). There it was not so strong, if was.

prissi

The folder name is actually addons. This simutrans -> addons -> pak128

apride

Spartanis, thank you for the clarification, it worked!
VaclavMacurek, thank you for the help!