News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk - Simutrans-Experimental - Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.9.0

Started by jamespetts, November 20, 2012, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

This game has now ended. Download a copy of the game in its final state here. Thanks to all who played!

New
: now running Simutrans 112.3 Experimental 11.17 with Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.9.0. (Edit: Updated both Simutrans-Experimental version 11.17 - 25th of January 2014, and pakset version the 11th of July 2013.)

This is a continuation of the previous Bridgewater-Brunel saved game but with the new pakset version and new version of Experimental (11.17) . To maintain compatibility with previous networks, weight limits have been disabled.

Starting year: 1785

Screenshot of the map (when it was new):

This map will pause when no clients are connected.

bridgewater-brunel.me.uk is a large map server for Pak128.Britain-Ex. I had hoped to restart the server with the forthcoming 0.9.0 release of Pak128.Britain-Ex, but it has not proved possible to finish that version in good time, so I thought it worthwhile to start the server with the interim 0.8.4 release.

The game starts in 1785 to allow players to make full use of canals, which have hitherto received limited attention.

Edit: Might I remind people of the importance of setting a password? Go to the "players" dialogue and click the little green box: there, you can set a password and also change the name of your company, the latter of which is also a good idea.

Edit 2: The previous bug in the 0.8.4 release which prevented clients from joining the game normally (making it necessary to type "net:bridgewater-brunel.me.uk" from the load game dialogue) has now been fixed, and it is possible to join this game with the "Play online" button.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

ah, yeah, I am player 4, but I think the internet connection I have here in vancouver is too flaky for me to stay connected for more than 2 seconds. I tried everything, so I'm pretty sure it's just the internet connection.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Hmm, odd. You were able to connect before without these difficulties, I seem to remember. You get frequent desyncs? Are you sure that you have the 10.14 version and the 0.8.4 version of the pakset? Have you tried the ipv4 only binary (if you are running Windows)? Are you running Windows or Linux, 32- or 64-bit? What is your ping to the server? Do you have similar trouble running Standard and connecting to Standard servers hosted in Europe?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

From Phoenix, Arizona, I get a ping time of about 600ms.  After about 2 seconds I also get disconnected, with a message like this:

Desync due to checklist mismatch
sync_step=91200 
server=[rand=4275749122 halt=1 line=1 cnvy=81 ind_dns_prop=3 act_ind_dens=526 traffic=20690]
client=[rand=1703971409 halt=1 line=1 cnvy=81 ind_dns_prop=3 act_ind_dens=526 traffic=20701]
World finished ...

The pak zipfile in your link contains a directory dated 18 December 2011 and called 0.8.3, not 0.8.4 ... is that correct?

Milko

The map is very nice, there are islands and terrestrial areas. I unfortunately do not have time to participate.

jamespetts

Quote from: wlindley on November 20, 2012, 01:47:14 PM
From Phoenix, Arizona, I get a ping time of about 600ms.  After about 2 seconds I also get disconnected, with a message like this:

Desync due to checklist mismatch
sync_step=91200 
server=[rand=4275749122 halt=1 line=1 cnvy=81 ind_dns_prop=3 act_ind_dens=526 traffic=20690]
client=[rand=1703971409 halt=1 line=1 cnvy=81 ind_dns_prop=3 act_ind_dens=526 traffic=20701]
World finished ...

The pak zipfile in your link contains a directory dated 18 December 2011 and called 0.8.3, not 0.8.4 ... is that correct?

Hmm, this latter point may be the issue - 0.8.3 is not the same as 0.8.4. For reference, 0.8.4 can be downloaded here. To which link are you referring here - the one in this thread, or the one on the server listing page?

Carl - thank you: this map number was suggested by AEO, as it happens.

ӔO

@james
It works now, after using the one linked to the testing 0.8.4 version.

I think the pakset that you have linked in this thread was 0.8.3, which was the cause of desyncs.

ping is around 500~600ms from vancouver.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AP

Thanks for the Password reminder James. I'm the yellow player, I'll password it now. I couldn't figure out how to do it this morning. Likewise, how do I rename my player?

jamespetts

ӔO

^ where it says "Player #", above the password entry box. This should be editable if you have control over that player.

@AP, I would check your finances window. Your operating profit is in the negative.

@Lindley, something has happened to many of your horse & carriage routes, they have many "no routes"

Colour safe chart:

AP

Quote from: ӔO on November 20, 2012, 09:16:42 PM@AP, I would check your finances window. Your operating profit is in the negative.

I noticed that. Aeolas has the same issue.

I'm not immediately sure why, stagecoaches were a sure-fire money maker before. Am reviewing my routes, trying to work out where the money is going. Sold my ship (nobody wanted to use it). Added more feeder lines and mail coaches, they're now crawling their way along the network. All that leaves are depots and coaching inns. And both are rather vital to a stagecoach service.  Has the balancing been changed?

ӔO

Colour safe chart:

AP

That would explain the ship not working (no interchange). But why, when my stagecoach routes are almost all full (graphs show most running at or near capacity) are they making no money? Or insufficient to cover the cost of a mere few bus stops.

wlindley

I had used the "Replace" function on the stagecoaches, but "Go To Depot" is broke -- vehicles never enter the depot.... the "Retire" button is pressed on many of them, and clicking has no effect, so I have to sell them all?  very frustrating.

AP

Was the fact that walking interchanges is disabled, a deliberate thing?

ӔO

Quote from: wlindley on November 20, 2012, 10:23:21 PM
I had used the "Replace" function on the stagecoaches, but "Go To Depot" is broke -- vehicles never enter the depot.... the "Retire" button is pressed on many of them, and clicking has no effect, so I have to sell them all?  very frustrating.

Ah, that bug is persistent...

Quote from: AP on November 20, 2012, 10:09:10 PM
That would explain the ship not working (no interchange). But why, when my stagecoach routes are almost all full (graphs show most running at or near capacity) are they making no money? Or insufficient to cover the cost of a mere few bus stops.

It might be the waiting times. You should use convoy spacing to spread out the spacing of your convoys, instead of having them run lob sided. check the refunds or profits for each of your lines.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Apologies for the issue with the walking interchange setting: I have enabled it now. Don't forget that there are two other ways of interchanging between networks: either use the access/running powers options in the player menu, or use the rule whereby road stops placed on public roads are deemed to be common user.

As to the replace issues, I shall look into those and revert. It's good to see everybody having a good game so far! I recommend building some canals, which are more efficient than plateways or roads in this era for the transport of goods. Plateways should not be thought of as early railways, but as a means of filling in the gaps in places not suitable for a canal but where road transport is not good enough.

Edit: I have found and fixed the sending to depot bug, and hope to be able to put out a new version with the fix shortly: apologies for the difficulties with this. This is actually a new bug, not the original bug, caused by the fixing of a different bug related to railway signalling and waypoints.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on November 21, 2012, 01:19:39 AM
Apologies for the issue with the walking interchange setting: I have enabled it now. Don't forget that there are two other ways of interchanging between networks: either use the access/running powers options in the player menu, or use the rule whereby road stops placed on public roads are deemed to be common user.
Cheers james. Still having revenue issues, but there's lots of passengers moving around now (alas overcrowding, but hey, can't have everything!).

ӔO

Are passengers that are refunded discarded or do they still try to find a route?

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Only discarded passengers receive a refund. Glad that the walking connexions helped!

ӔO

I would suggest we only connect networks with ships, since horse and carriages can't cope with the flow.

Colour safe chart:

AP

Did I go bankrupt yet?  :-[ It was looking rather grim this morning... (at work now, so can't check)

ӔO

yup. I think you had some major issues with passengers and mail piling up due to the network connections.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AP, were you blue? If so, you had stage coaches set to "wait for load" with a rather long timing interval, meaning that huge queues of horses and carriages formed behind your stage coaches waiting to be filled, which they weren't probably due in part to the infrequency of the service caused by the long intervals...

AP

No, I was yellow. I can't quite understand where the money was going, tbh, because my coaches were pretty full and pretty evenly spaced (I made sure of it). I think I'll try again tonight claiming those same cities and see if I can work out what went wrong. The only maintenance items I had were coaching inns. I note that green is using stagecoaches without coaching inns, which turns a profit, but seems a bit unrealistic (i.e. the balancing should allow the two used together.

I did have a period where i tried ships (which lost money), but I deleted all that infrastructure pretty sharpish when I realised that. Could the overcrowding after the walking was enabled have had an impact?

jamespetts

There is still some work needed on balancing this pakset, so any thoughts about that would be appreciated.

ӔO

I don't think ships lose money too badly, so I use them, if they aren't severely out of the way.

---

can someone else confirm if the radio buttons for allowing access are working or not?

I do not seem to be able to enable them for lindley lines.

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

james, could you please remove part of the road north of Caringford? I would like to dig a canal through there.

Colour safe chart:

asaphxiix

So nice to see the server is running! I joined today as Northern Lights and will check in at night to start working, after I finish real work :)

ӔO

^ I nicked a some. :p

Lindley needs more ships. There's a major build up now.

Colour safe chart:

AP

Right, back in the game, but am uncertain how to balance ship lines, so we'll have to see what happens.