News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Github downloads?

Started by jamespetts, December 13, 2012, 01:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Hmm - this is odd. I have used the download/upload feature on Github for a very long time for putting out releases of Simutrans-Experimental's Windows binaries and Pak128.Britain-Ex, but it seems that Github has changed and I can no longer find any way of managing these downloads. Does anyone know what has happened? The files are still there from their direct links, but I cannot upload any further files or delete these files. Has this functionality been removed, does anyone know, or am I missing something?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sdog

i was trying to find it too today, and thought i was just a little bit stupid or forgetful.

https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads

Quoten addition to providing downloadable source code archives, GitHub previously allowed you to upload files (separate from the versioned files) in the repository, and make it available for download in the Downloads Tab. Supporting these types of uploads was a source of great confusion and pain – they were too similar to the files in a Git repository. As part of our ongoing effort to keep GitHub focused on building software, we are deprecating the Downloads Tab.

The ability to upload new files via the web site is disabled today.

Existing links to previously uploaded files will continue to work for the foreseeable future.

Repositories that already have uploads will continue to list their downloads for the next 90 days (tack on /downloads to the end of any repository to see them).

The Downloads API is officially deprecated and will be disabled in 90 days.

As a side-effect i read on the gihub blog they're offering free beer today in toronto, 19:30 at the Rhino, Queen & Dufferin (which is less than a 20 minutes walk from my home)

ps.: as a workaround some people suggested to use another git repository adding the compiled binaries. There are git project pages, controlled by a git repository i think, which might be quite suitable.

prissi

I think the main reason (apart from confusion) was the misuse of this feature for just storing files (warez etc.)

jamespetts

Ohh dear - that is rather sad. Thank you for spotting that, SDog - I did to try to find whether there had been any official removal, but it was not clear. I shall have to find somewhere else to put Simutrans-Experimental and Pak128.Britain-Ex binaries. One possible option is my server, but I worry that lots of people downloading from there might make downloads of the saved game slower for people actually playing. Can anyone recommend anywhere else?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Fabio

The download section of sourceforge?

It hosts standard and the major paksets, so I don't see why couldn't we have an Exp folder as well.

Mind that not even standard code is hosted there, just paksets sources and engine + paksets release.

jamespetts

I don't think that I have write access to the Sorceforge repository, though.

Fabio

That could be arranged with Dwachs, I suppose.

I know he can grant R/W access to the svn, possibly also to the release section.

Dwachs

I can arrange that, James, you have to create an account over there and send me an PM.

Something like this can be done by the administrator of the simutrans project at sourceforge (currently prissi and I).
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

To avoid confusion I would rather suggest to James to create an experimental page at sourceforge. Then all experiemental (only) paksets could be hosted there too. James would be admin there and thus take the load form the standard maintainer. It could server than as a protal for experimental sets. (SF allows nowadays github repos too for source.)

But honestly, hosting on your server will not take much bandwidth (just think about transferring 80MB games) and will give you all kind of cool statistics that SF lacks.

Third option could be simutrans.com server. Ask Isaac for this.

greenling

That it a nice idea but sourceforge have sometimes often problems to download data.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

sdog

James, i'll have a look into github pages now. If it works out i'll set one up for the simutrans organization on github, this might be a new place to host the experimental binaries.

The initial page should show up in about ten minutes or so under: (it's up now)
http://simutrans.github.com/simutrans-github-project-page
Tonight i'll see if it is sensible to link files from it, and if it can be done easily and automatically.

You might have noticed, that you are also a owner of the organization, and should be able to change things freely.*

*grammar question, would ought have been better in this context?

jamespetts

Sdog,

thank you very much for doing this. What did you conclude about linking to files, etc.?

As to the grammar question, both are grammatically correct, but there is a subtle difference in meaning. "Should" in this context means that this is what you expect will happen if you are correct in your understanding: "ought" means that this is what will happen if other people do the right thing or equipment, etc. operates correctly. I suspect that "should" is closer to what you intended here.

sdog

I'm linking to a page where i put links the ziped pak128-set to be downloaded on the page.

Changing something and pushing it to github refreshes the page in a few minutes.

I didn't manage to get server side html includes running, my intend was to just append the links to a simple file which in turn is included in the download page html. Without it the easiset way is to have the script cut off the tail of the html page, append the new text and the tail again.

Here's a bit more on experience with pak128:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=11097.0

To push to this repository you'll need to learn how to use deploy keys with your git program (tortoise?). A deploy key is a ssh key linked to a repository. You can not use the same one for different repositories. Thus you'd need to have either tortoise do it or set up your ssh configure file to use a different deploy key when connecting to different hosts. (howto, don't know if it's any use to win users though: http://www.johnnypez.com/reference/multiple-deploy-keys-with-git/)

prissi

Why hassle with all this when you have sourceforge or even an own server for hosting?

jamespetts

Hmm, I think that Prissi may have a point. I have put them on my own server for now. Does anyone know how to get download statistics from an Apache server...?

Dwachs

Why not use sourceforge? Create an account, send me the details -> ready for up & download. You do not even have to register simutrans-experimental as an extra project.

jamespetts

Quote from: Dwachs on December 18, 2012, 06:40:41 AM
Why not use sourceforge? Create an account, send me the details -> ready for up & download. You do not even have to register simutrans-experimental as an extra project.

I didn't initially because it was easier to use my server because that was already set up. Is SourceForge easier for statistics than one's own server?

Dwachs

sourceforge has everything (or maybe less) built-in (statistics, mirrors etc)