News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

General feedback on simutrans with touch/stylus screen devices.

Started by ӔO, March 26, 2013, 08:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

I've finally bought myself a surface pro and hopefully I can give back feedback on what works and what does not work when comparing mouse input to touch and stylus.

Touch
Selecting: pakset icons are generally far too small for touch accuracy on a 10.6" 1920x1080 screen and would need to be twice as large to be usable. Menu icons are out of the question.
Map navigation: difficult due to scrolling relying on r-click drag or arrow keys. Could use border scroll.
Drag scrolling: possible, but severely clunky
Building: possible, but can be tedious if no keyboard is available for ctrl key.
Zoom in/out: Works great with pinching gesture.

Stylus
Selecting: Icons are only slightly too small. A slight increase, say 1.5x would make up for imperfect precision.
The rest is mostly the same as touch, except there's no way to zoom in/out with only a stylus. Although, I don't think you'd get a stylus without touch input, so it should be a moot point.

For some reason, text is slightly fuzzy, like it has poorly done AA at the edges.

I'd be more than happy to give feedback on anything I may have missed.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

How is does one normally pan on a surface pro? My laptop has a multitouch mouse pad where vertical scrolling is done by having two fingers side-by-side and dragging up and down, while horizontal scrolling is done by having two fingers above eachother and dragging sideways. It also supports pinch zoom. However, there does not seem to be a way to scroll both vertically and horizontally at the same time. Is there such a gesture, or what it's called, on the surface pro?

Pinch zoom works in Simutrans, but vertical scroll is also mapped to zoom, while horizontal scroll doesn't do anything at all. Getting these to work would help moving around the map, except that moving around in Simutrans is rarely purely horizontally or vertically in my experience.

ӔO

For surface pro, scrolling is done the same way, with two fingers, however vertical can also be done with one finger.

With two fingers, one can scroll in all directions smoothly.

There was something new that I have noticed, and it seems that simutrans with surface pro does not seem to like right-click drag scrolling with a mouse. It always shoots you straight to the top of the map and out of bounds if you try and move around the map.

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

to follow up on this

The issue is caused by DPI scaling in windows.
If Zoom is set to 150%, this causes erratic mouse behaviour and fuzzy (zoomed) text.

To fix this problem, you need to right-click on the shortcut, select compatibility tab and turn on "disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

Colour safe chart: