News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

New old fish trawler

Started by mEGa, November 04, 2013, 02:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mEGa

Hi,
After a long time, these days I wont to begin a new game stating for 1900. I noticed that there were no fishing boats (fish good) that there are industries using this good.
So I quickly created a ship from a creation of pak128 made by Raven.

I proudly to present you an old fish boat named brick goelette wich representing an old boat fishing cod in The Grand Banks of Newfoundland. In french we speak a terre-neuvas name.

pak and source files are joined.

What do you think about it ?
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

Sarlock

Très bien, mEGa!

I particularly like the texture for the sails, it gives them nice depth.  I'm particularly keen to fill out the vehicles from 1880-1930, thank you for this important addition.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Wow, that ship is very nice, mEGa! Although 100t of fish sounds a lot, not sure about comparison with other ships size/cargo in the pak, but the graphics are lovely :)

mEGa

Thank you all ;-)
Quote from: Zeno on November 05, 2013, 02:26:06 PM
Although 100t of fish sounds a lot, not sure about comparison with other ships size/cargo in the pak
You're right. Perhaps can we put 50 or 60 ? What do expert members mean ?

Sarlock

The modern era fish trawler can haul 90t of fish, so 50 +/- is probably appropriate.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Zeno

Yeah, 50 or 60 sounds like a good setting to me.

mEGa

Quote from: Zeno on November 05, 2013, 03:35:18 PM
Yeah, 50 or 60 sounds like a good setting to me.
Thanx. Uploaded (joined files)

greenling

Hello Mega
The New old fish trawler looks very good out.
But we must now beginning to fill the gap before 1930. :-[
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

mEGa

Thanx Greenling
Quote from: greenling on November 10, 2013, 03:40:00 PM
But we must now beginning to fill the gap before 1930. :-[
Not necessarily, the ship is available until 1950. In real live, thirty years was gold age for this kind of fhishing trawler ("Terre Neuvas")

prissi

While a nice ship I strongly doubt with this rigg you would go out fishing at all (btw. it is a Brigg, not a Brick while is certainly tacks like the latter). The square rigg is almost useless on a fishtrawler (as you need to return to the place you started). If you do trawling, you care less speed but more for maneverability. Nevertheless the Schooner and trawler were fast to be back before the fish is spoiled.

Here is a bad picture of http://www.freedom-computers.co.uk/zone6/wpimages/wpb705de7c_05_06.jpg or a better here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_Brixham_trawler.jpg

So you picture shoudl be rather a Schooner. Could you remove the square rigg? The intro year for that kind of fish schooner is about 1950, and fade out at the 1930ies.

mEGa

I understand what do you suggested. But At first I really wanted to create this ship adapted for typical fishing in end of XIXth century.
See this link (sorry it's only in french) :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick-go%C3%A9lette

I want to also create a real "terre-neuva" with 3 masts : a schooner as you explained.

But You're right it isn't a trawler, just whaling or fishing cod with canots.

I can draw a new ship as you describe without square rigg to create a real fishing trawler for beginning of XXth century. We will have 2 ships for this periods.
What do you mean about it ?

Fabio

Two ships are better than one ;)

Can you please put them both in 250x250 tiles? I've seen that it's the standard tile size for ships. They compile with makeobj pak250 ./ ./

mEGa

Quote from: Fabio on November 11, 2013, 06:16:53 PM
Two ships are better than one ;)

Can you please put them both in 250x250 tiles? I've seen that it's the standard tile size for ships. They compile with makeobj pak250 ./ ./
thank you Fabio. Now I know what I had some trouble with it.

prissi

@Mega, I know quite well what a Birgatine is, I crossed the Atlantic almost 15 years back in a quite small one . That is why I can assure you that it is absolutely unsuited to fishing. Tacking with a square rigg is almost impossible, you have to wearing ship i.e. drive a Q with the after through the wind instead the bow. It took us about 45 Minutes under full sail for such a jibe (and we did not do any fishing meanwhile). The chances of following a whale were non-existent.

Most Brigantine suited for fishing are rather  square-topsail schooner (although the chances of somebody beside me complaining are certainly very slim) ;)

mEGa

Ok Prissi,
You convinced me.

I'm going to take your last picture in your post as an example to modify the ship.

Thank you for your right critical eye ;-)

vorlon

Instead of modifying the graphics you could make it a small-capacity passenger ship. There are not too many of them currently in pak128.

prissi

And indded they are rather passenger and freight. But on the other hand, probably nobody but me will notice it.

mEGa

Well i present to you a new version of old fish boat : a brigantin (brick goelette), an adaptation of my first work.

I applied your notices :
- compiled in 250
- brigantin type (without square...) like Prissi's model
- 60 fish parameter

It's a work in progress. You can download pak here for test :
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:brigantin.pak

Snapshot in game :

But I don't know if we can really also get passengers... Perhaps declare another boat as ferry model ?

Fabio

Why not using the old model for pax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mEGa

Good idea. I will make that

Envoyé depuis mon GT-S5839i avec Tapatalk

Fabio

I would also like, for another mid term project, to convert all boats to a holds system like in pak Britain. It must be carefully thought, though.

mEGa

What do we have to do? One dat file with all parameters of each boat or just organize sub repositories ?

Envoyé depuis mon GT-S5839i avec Tapatalk

EDIT :

Well I commited these 2 ships in r1347 & r1348.

- brigantin for fishing since 1880
- brick goelette to transport passengers since 1880

installed in sub repository ~/vehicles/ships-cargo and ~/ships-ferries

Fabio

Thank you a lot!