News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Hotmail.com addresses not recommended for forum use…

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 20, 2013, 01:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It has come to my attention that at least two users of hotmail are having difficulty receiving email from the server. I am investigating the issue at this time, and hopefully will be able to clear it up; however, please be aware that Hotmail does this from time to time, and I must recommend against the use of that service.

Now, I hate it when people say "So, the solution is to change what you use!" — so I emphasize, this is just a recommendation. But hey, I'm doing my best. They're difficult to work with. So I'm still recommended you consider how much important email you might lose... and then use whatever you like. :)

But at this time, problems are known, and I'm doing what I can.

EDIT: So actually... if you have a hotmail address, send an email with your username to the email address in my signature and I'll manually activate your account...

percy4u

have just succeeded in joining using a hotmail acccount  ;D - is the problem fixed then?...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I wouldn't count on it. Hotmail has historically been flaky. Congratulations on your good luck.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: percy4u on May 28, 2014, 03:46:41 PM
have just succeeded in joining using a hotmail acccount  ;D - is the problem fixed then?...
Hotmail was blacklisting tons of sites and communities, it wasn't limited to here, probably they realized the mistake and started to get their stuff together. :)

Ters

Quote from: percy4u on May 28, 2014, 03:46:41 PM

There's a lot of leeway between difficult and impossible.

Lmallet

Quote from: Ters on May 28, 2014, 05:31:02 PM
There's a lot of leeway between difficult and impossible.
I am definitely going to use this quote in a meeting.  :)

Ters

Quote from: Lmallet on May 28, 2014, 08:28:02 PM
I am definitely going to use this quote in a meeting.  :)
Just be careful about the context. Although there is a large gap between where things become difficult and where they become impossible, it's likely an unpleasant (and potentially very expensive) place to be. (There is also some potential for nitpicking, which you might notice that I just touched upon.) I've often been asked if something is possible, and I've answered something like "sure, but I don't think you like the price tag". (Today I actually told them that they really can't afford it until later.)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: IgorEliezer on May 28, 2014, 04:12:39 PM
Hotmail was blacklisting tons of sites and communities, it wasn't limited to here, probably they realized the mistake and started to get their stuff together. :)

Oh, it's happened off and on for more than a decade. Hotmail will also randomly refuse or lose mail, even beyond the random come-and-go blacklisting of IPs and such. It's why I've given up on them. Even AOL isn't that bad. heh

IgorEliezer

*bump*

Because it's never too much.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Lemme see if I can happen to find anything in the queue for hotmail and see if there's anything I can do about it if so. heh

edit: Yes, it seems Hotmail decided to block the server again. So I'm signing up for their stupid program. Again. Hopefully, based on past experience, this should be resolved in a couple of days or so. Until they decide to change how they work again.