News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Soft vs Regular Slope for Trams

Started by benste, March 20, 2014, 06:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benste

Hi, i've noticed that the latest nightly reenabled streets to use regular slopes again, as opposed to trains which were discussed to be able to use softslopes only.

What about trams ? i'd consider them to be a train (as they can use train tracks) and only be able to use soft slopes.
Has there been any discussion about this ? Is it un purpose that i can build Tram tracks over exisiting street on a regular slope ?

Ters

This depends on the pak set you use. Simutrans itself imposes no restrictions.

benste

i'd appreciate if one of the mods could move it to the respective section of openpak128

Fabio

Trams tracks up to 50 km/h use both (think of Lisbon or San Francisco) while faster tracks are limited to soft slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benste

Sounds like an interesting idea, BUT i just checked it tram tracks with speed 70 are still allowed on regular slopes. (as you said >70 kmh is not allowed on regular slopes atm.

looking at it compared to roads and rails it seems to be a little bit inconsistent though.

Roads can use both up to a max speed of 90
Rails can't use it at all

=>> what do you think about allowing all modes of transportation until a fixed speed limit - e.g. 70 ?

This way all kinds of fast transport would be excluded and one more rail type included - even though iirc the speed 60 dissapears over time doesn't it ?

Fabio

I stand corrected, tram tracks are allowed up to 70km/h included. Train tracks will not be allowed though, but in the future narrow gauge tracks will be allowed for all their speeds (probably capping  at 90-100 km/h).
Considering that the game favors trains over other transports, my goal is to make them insanely expensive on mountainous landscapes, where other transports should be used instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benste

Sure introducing narrow gauge lines acutally would make it very reasonable to exclude regualr rail.
So what about the streets ? any reason for the different speed limit ? + are these decisions written down somewhere e.g. in the wiki - its so hard to realize the system without asking if you already know the game but just consider newbees ...