News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

80-100kmh trams

Started by Ethonal, September 26, 2014, 09:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethonal

So im not sure if im going blind but I got the experimental .pak today (most of my time on simutrans was based on .pak 128 or .64 when I was new to the game), but tram tracks only go upto 50kmh, where as the tram cable can provide upto 100kmh. Although I noted no tram in the default .pak can do this there are several that run at 80kmh, so these trams are running 30kmh below maximum (possible) speed.

Also several planes in the depot have varying icon sizes, with several overlapping. however im assuming I would have to report this is the plane author milko, so he can resize them

Simutrans 11.35
.PAK Pak128.Britain 0.9.1

Markohs

On urban zones, they can't go over 50, like buses. They only reach 50+ outside of the cities, on intercity trams.

Ethonal

Oh I see thank you (in pak 128 trams could travel at max speed (assuming enough straight), but still the track only goes to 50kmp, so even outside of the city wouldn't they still travel at 50, I guess they also run on train tracks so that's the reason for the lack of 50+ tram tracks.

DrSuperGood

It would be useful if it was emphasised that trams can run on train track. With all the complex way type restrictions in place in experimental it is easy to mistakenly think that they can only use tram track.

Markohs

Oh, I did read you post fast and didn't noticed your comment is about the lack of 50kmph+ tram tracks. My excuses. I recall pak 120 had extra tracks with extra speed, but were not very useful since as I said vehicles were limited in speed when in urban roads. I guess pak mantainers could have removed them for that reason,  forcing you to use train tracks. But have no idea,  sorry.

Milko

Hello Ethonal.

The planes all have the same scale factor. Some time ago it was discussed the value of the scale factor. He had chosen a scale factor  128px = 46m. In this way, small planes are visible and the largest aircraft (Airbus 380, which I have not yet drawn) is in two tiles.

Unfortunately, the side effect is that the planes overlaps in the mask of choice and when they are stopped at airports.
For airports would be nice to draw separators (only eye candy) between a stop and another to separate the big planes and avoid overlap.
But I'm not good at drawing this kind of stuff.

Giuseppe

jamespetts

The tram tracks are only intended to be used on roads, where the speed limit is (realistically) 50km/h. For off-road sections, trams are intended to be able to use railway lines. Building tram tracks other than on roads (beyond a single transitional or depot tile of track) will not be possible in the next release of Experimental.

Dr. SuperGood - if you can think of an efficient way of altering players to the fact that they can use trams on railway tracks beyond putting in the FAQ (which I am about to do), then do let me know.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

QuoteDr. SuperGood - if you can think of an efficient way of altering players to the fact that they can use trams on railway tracks beyond putting in the FAQ (which I am about to do), then do let me know.
Currently the information of what sort of rail a convoy can run on is implicit. When you open a steam depot for standard gauge you assume all engines in it can run on standard gauge track. The simplest solution would be to make it explicit where on every convoy it tells you the way classes it can use. This means all standard gauge trains will show "Can use Standard Gauge" and such a message would also appear for trams ("Can use Standard Gauge") as well as their tram track message ("Can use Tram Track"). This leaves nothing for the user to guess as to the way types a convoy will support. The wording might not be perfect and require revision but hopefully you get the idea.

jamespetts

That's one idea, although I worry a little about UI clutter with that way of doing things.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

zook2

But ships and electric locomotives already do that.

jamespetts

Quote from: zook2 on November 22, 2014, 10:21:06 PM
But ships and electric locomotives already do that.

It is not quite the same: tram track is treated as railway track as far as permissions are concerned, and this is inherited from Standard. Way constraints are an Experimental specific feature.

DrSuperGood

Yet why do some trains have "Can use tram track" on them? In fact that was the source of my confusion as it made me think they were a different way type entirely.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 23, 2014, 12:23:29 AM
Yet why do some trains have "Can use tram track" on them? In fact that was the source of my confusion as it made me think they were a different way type entirely.

Tram track is a prohibitive way constraint: only vehicles with the tram track prohibitive constraint set can use ways with the tram track prohibitive constraint set. Some very early railway wagons can also use tram track.