News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Graphical interface for creating servers

Started by Yona-TYT, December 30, 2014, 09:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

Graphical interface for creating servers.

Create servers is very frustrating for novice players.
Does anyone thought of a graphical interface for creating servers games?

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Taurus on January 04, 2015, 01:33:03 AM
Have you tried Cruzers Service? http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=13925.0
The service is very good !!
But my point is that there are players who want to create their own servers (for free) but have no idea how to do it.... and some may never resort to the forum in order  to figure out.

DrSuperGood

I am working on porting the POSIX end to Windows built with MSVC however I ran into issues with the Pthread library crashing the process when someone joins.  The error being some internal thread causes a memory access exception which is hard to debug due to lack of the required debug data for the stack trace. Tracing all other threads show them blocked on some pthread object.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 04, 2015, 04:08:04 PM
I am working on porting the POSIX end to Windows built with MSVC however I ran into issues with the Pthread library crashing the process when someone joins.  The error being some internal thread causes a memory access exception which is hard to debug due to lack of the required debug data for the stack trace. Tracing all other threads show them blocked on some pthread object.

I have no other advice than that you have to make sure all dynamic libraries use the same multithreaded runtime DLL.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI have no other advice than that you have to make sure all dynamic libraries use the same multithreaded runtime DLL.
That was another issue which was solved ages ago when I rebuilt all the simutrans dependencies as part of a include cleanup (now I have my own skeleton set).

One of the timing functions used by the POSIX front was missing from the source code. Research showed that it used to be included as part of old MSVC however now it has been removed. As such I wrote my own version of the functions for timing using Windows natives instead so I wonder if it is possible that is the cause. I will probably need to build Pthreads to find out which is no easy task.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 04, 2015, 11:09:28 PM
That was another issue which was solved ages ago when I rebuilt all the simutrans dependencies as part of a include cleanup (now I have my own skeleton set).

One of the timing functions used by the POSIX front was missing from the source code. Research showed that it used to be included as part of old MSVC however now it has been removed. As such I wrote my own version of the functions for timing using Windows natives instead so I wonder if it is possible that is the cause. I will probably need to build Pthreads to find out which is no easy task.

It might be worthwhile if you were to distribute this code that you wrote under a compatible open source licence. Indeed, could it be included in the Standard codebase, I wonder?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Threading a server has very little gain (apart from loading and saving though). Maybe first optimise this?

I did also compile a posix server for windows a while ago and it worked fine. However, I forgot whether I used multithreading or not.