News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[half-heights 0971dce23c] Makeobj warnings (with devel-new a7f1fe67d1)

Started by MCollett, January 23, 2015, 03:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCollett

Building the latest version of the pak with the latest makeobj generates an impressive number of warnings.

• Individual typos or similar:

• Aerospatiale_BAC_Concorde(BritishAirWays):   Entry "constraint[prev][0]=none" ignored
      Should be commented out with the rest of the secondhand version.
    • OldLibrary:   Entry "backimage[1][0][0][0][0][1]/images/cur/=library.1.1" ignored
      Misplaced "=".  This is in library.dat; old-library.dat contains a different definition of the same building.
    • NarrowgaugeStop:   Entry "image[0]=> ls-symbols.2.4" ignored
      A duplicate entry.
    • Car_factory.dat has several issues: has_snow should be has_snow[0] etc.; production_per_field should be production_per_field[0] etc.; upgrades are erroneously specified with the last field instead of with the factory itself.

• plateway:   Entry "backimage[s]=images/plexi-noise-barrier.0.1" ignored
      The object type in plexi-noise-barrier.dat is commented out, leading to a whole bunch of misleading warnings.
  • Systematic issues:

• BellTower:   Entry "build_time=750" ignored
      Every attraction with Type=mon that sets a build_time generates this warning.

• CompositeHullUnpoweredNarrowboatBulk:   Entry "freightimage[0][e][0]=./images/unpowered-narrowboat-composite-hull-bulk-grain.1.4" ignored
      Every 3D (type, orientation, colour/bw) freightimage entry generates this warning, and consequential ones ("More freightimagetype (0) than freight_images (0)", "freightimagetype" ignored).

• AustinMetro(Blue):   Entry "length=1" ignored
      I think this warning appears for every citycar that specifies a length.

• CattleField:   Entry "needs_ground=1" ignored
      And similarly for every object of type 'field' that sets 'needs_ground'.

• Brickworks1905:   Entry "electricity_proportion=25" ignored
      And similarly for other uses of 'electricity_proportion'.

• BeamBridge:   No frontpillar[s][0] specified (might still work)
      And so on for most bridges.

• 60minspeed:   Entry "minspeed=60" ignored
      As are all other 'minspeed' settings.

• IronGirderElevated:   Entry "max_height=2" ignored
      And other uses of max_height for elevated ways instead of bridges.
  • Individual errors I don't understand:

• IND_JH_1960_00_02:   Entry "backimage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=images/ind/1960-sewage-plant.0.0" ignored
    • PowerSource:   Entry "icon=> way-power_lines-128.0.2" ignored
      Several such entries for both PowerSource and PowerDest.
    • airport_oneway:   Entry "system_type=0" ignored
      airport_oneway:   Entry "type=airport" ignored

• Longstanding warnings I have got used to ignoring:

• libpng warning: Invalid pHYs after IDAT
    • Warning: while loading PNG:   ignoring alpha channel for someimage.png

jamespetts

Thank you for all those - that's very helpful. I have pushed fixes that deal with most of these issues. There are some remaining issues, however.

Firstly, I have not yet had a chance to look into the 3d image issue. This is a fairly complex bit of code, and I am not sure whether I have got the code wrong somewhere. I had thought that I had tested it and found it to be working, but this was some time ago, and it might not have been tested thoroughly enough. One thing that I do not know is whether the problem is that the warning system is broken, or whether the 3d images themselves do not work. It would be very helpful indeed if you could test these canal boats to ensure that all load images work with all liveries.

The alpha channel and pHY issues are not readily resolvable (and I wonder how useful that those warnings really are). I do not fully understand the issue with the bridges, but these do all appear to work in spite of the warning, as the "might still work" suggests is possible, so this is a very low priority issue. I have not had a chance to look into the PowerSource and PowerDest issues yet.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on January 24, 2015, 12:38:39 AM
I have pushed fixes that deal with most of these issues. There are some remaining issues, however.
library.dat and old-library.dat still contain two different definitions of the same building (OldLibrary).  One of them should either be deleted or use a different name for the building.
It would be very helpful indeed if you could test these canal boats to ensure that all load images work with all liveries.
If I get a game up and going, I will certainly want to use some canal boats.  We shall see ...

Best wishes,
Matthew

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on January 24, 2015, 12:38:39 AM
One thing that I do not know is whether the problem is that the warning system is broken, or whether the 3d images themselves do not work. It would be very helpful indeed if you could test these canal boats to ensure that all load images work with all liveries.

A first attempt suggests that they just appear as empty.

jamespetts

You mean that the canal boats with the 3 dimensioned images appear as if they were empty even when they have a load?

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on February 01, 2015, 10:20:52 AM
You mean that the canal boats with the 3 dimensioned images appear as if they were empty even when they have a load?

Yes, that is what I mean, though I have only a couple of samples so far.

jamespetts

Do the liveries ever change to the British Waterways type by the time that you get to the 1950s if thereafter their livery schemes are updated?

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on February 01, 2015, 06:38:26 PM
Do the liveries ever change to the British Waterways type by the time that you get to the 1950s if thereafter their livery schemes are updated?

In the very unlikely event that any game I play runs that late, I'll let you know ...

jamespetts

You could try, as a test and without modifying your playing game, fast forwarding to that year and checking.