News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Game freezes on map initialization

Started by pruteanucristian, March 09, 2015, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pruteanucristian

Hi, i've downloaded the latest version in a complete package (11.35), and i've also tried getting the Executable binaries into my standard simutrans folder that works. problem is, on creating a new map, game freezes at "initializing map" on 25% CPU load. no error messages are shown within 30 minutes even on a small (50-100mb) map. PS:also installled the MSVC++ redistributable package. running win7 on core 2 quad and 8 gig ram
Thanks!

jamespetts

Hello - welcome to the forums (may I suggest that you sign up for an account so that your posts do not need to be approved one by one?).

In order to be able to help with your problem, can you let me know what settings that you were using to generate the map? Sometimes, map generation takes a long time for big maps, especially if there are a lot of towns, industries and/or rivers.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

pruyeanucristian

i've tried multiple settings, eg. everything default (including cities auto-scaled to about 25), and map size 640*640 (aprox 44mb) . Standard simutrans is generating maps without  any problems.

pruyeanucristian

Can you provide me with another (older build maybe) build to try if it works?  Thanks!

jamespetts

Can you give me a screenshot of your "create a new game" dialogue box so that I can see precisely what settings that you are using? It is very difficult to address a problem that I cannot reproduce.

My apologies that you are having trouble with this.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

pruyeanucristian

I've tried to put as much info as possible on display

jamespetts

May I suggest trying with a lower median town population of, say, 2,500? I should be grateful if you could let me know whether it works any better if you do that.

pruyeanucristian

That appeared to do the trick. it now starts even larger maps. Thanks a lot!

jamespetts

You are most welcome. The trouble, I think, was that, if you set a high average, the largest towns will be much, much bigger, and this will be too much work for any sane computer to generate in any reasonable time. I am glad that this is now working for you.