News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

When will the next update come?

Started by Moe Ron, April 26, 2015, 09:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moe Ron

It's been over a year since the last pak update, when will we get the new version with the modern vehicles?

jamespetts

The next pakset update will have to be at around the same time as the next major code release, as it contains features that needs the new code to support. The reason that the development has been delayed is that I am in the process of moving house, which is taking a very long time, and makes it very difficult to concentrate on Simutrans (I am currently in temporary accommodation whilst the house is refurbished). It is very difficult to predict the timescale.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

waerth

James,

Just take your time and also relax a bit! It is truly appreciated what you have done sofar. Off course I (and everybody else) am full of anticipation about what you will add next and what will change. But Simutrans has been a loooooooooooonnnngggggg time coming and it will hopefully keep on coming for a loooooonnnngggggg time!

W

jamespetts

Thank you for your kind words! They are much appreciated.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Moe Ron

I'd certainly hope that both the update and your moving processes can be expedited, as it's been quite a bit of time since we've had first word of either.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Simutrans is a volunteer project, and everyone works without payment. It is discouraged to ask people to hurry since everyone devotes what time they can.

Please be patient. It's one thing to express enthusiasm. It's another to express impatience.

Jando

Good point, Isaac.

And thanks to all the volunteers, and good luck with your relocation, James!

Moe Ron

It would still be nice to see the rolling stock produced by The Hood in the new version, rather than the grand debut of the half-heights and other major features.

Spenk009

Have a look at compiling your own version. All new vehicles and features are in the works there, even if sometimes buggy.

James, I compiled a snapshot from earlier this week. The signalling system is amazing and I'm thrilled to see the wear system in use. How do you plan on doing the calculations on the land value system? Maybe using the location type, the building on top's and the neighbouring tiles' values added, which is stored in the tile and updated when the surrounding tiles are meddled with. sorry if I'm hijacking the thread...

jamespetts

I have not yet decided exactly how land value will work: it will be quite complex, I think, but I will need to investigate how it works in reality to see what I need to simulate.

Sir_Tramalot

May I ask where I can find the files to compile my own version?
Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway: Keeping the spirit of Bowaters Paper alive.

O01eg

You can found latest sources here:

https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-experimental - branch devel-new

https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain - branch half-heights

If you use gentoo you can use booboo repository: https://github.com/l29ah/booboo

Spenk009

Sir_Tramalot: Here is a post for you. See how you get along with that. As for a pakset, it's a bit different but if more people are interested, I can write a tutorial for that too. I currently play a compiled version I took from Junna, because I've encountered savegame problems in the one I compiled myself.

James: Keeping it simple, yet able to make suburbs cheap vs. expensive city centres. Three (or four) variables, i = city/countryside money distinction (is this really necessary?), j = price of construction on tile, k = neighbouring tiles' construction on tile prices/values (, and l a possibly a passenger success rate based value that would alter the price further upwards). i & j are just called on, but for k; would koord::neighbours and per tile check whether a house/building is present and reading haus_besch_t::price be a possibility? You can then take a fraction of the checked tiles' total prices for the value of k and add that to i + j. Excuse my mediocre grasp of programming.

Ves

I would love a toturial how to get the pakset working. :) Currently tearing my hair off trying to make it work.

Edit: Wow that was fast Spenk! Íncreadibly easy to read and understand tutorial thanks! :)
Edit2: And it also works, in case you wonder

Sir_Tramalot

Thanks! (Do I need the latest version of experimental to run the 0.9.2 pakset, because it just will not compile properly for me.)
Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway: Keeping the spirit of Bowaters Paper alive.

Spenk009

Ves: Great, thanks for the feedback. It isn't all that complicated, but requires successfully completing it.

Sir_Tramalot: Yes, you do. You may have to set the build config to "Release" like in the attachment.

Ves

But i have a question I don't understand: the makeobj that I downloaded which version of simutrans exp is that? I thought I had to compile my own makeobj from the sources to get the new features. And somehow I get errors when trying (EDIT: compiling makeobj from devel-new).

Spenk009

I honestly do not know whether you need to compile your own makeobj.exe. This is something that you may need to try out yourself and report back if you're successful. As I said, I use one from Junna that I found here.

jamespetts

You will need to compile Makeobj-Experimental from the devel-new sources in order to make the development version of the pakset that goes with the latest code.

Junna

Quote from: Spenk009 on May 30, 2015, 05:41:46 PM
I honestly do not know whether you need to compile your own makeobj.exe. This is something that you may need to try out yourself and report back if you're successful. As I said, I use one from Junna that I found here.

You might want to delete any bridges in that version older than 2015, as they might make it crash. It is compiled with make-obj from a development version, though, for new features.

Note that vehicle running costs are in my pak roughly halved, because running loss-making accommodation services bugs me. For this reason, I don't recommend using it if you want a "challenge" in that sense. Also, all vehicles are never withdrawn because I want to play with timeline yet without them turning blue or having their running costs increased (and BR liveries are set to expire in 2500, because I don't want the sectorisation liveries and later forced upon my old blue cuties.)

Ves

Quote from: jamespetts on May 30, 2015, 08:05:02 PM
You will need to compile Makeobj-Experimental from the devel-new sources in order to make the development version of the pakset that goes with the latest code.

Ok, I had some troubles compiling the makeobj, lastly getting a linker error about libpng.lib and I dont remember how to solve those. Will try again later.
I dont want to use it to play games, just test the new functions James have made, namely the signaling!

edit: hehe.. resolved the linker error by adding the path to the lib's in Properties -> linker -> General -> AdditionalLibraryDirectories
Now it is compiling!