News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Like, like!

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, May 31, 2015, 02:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

After multiple people expressed a desire to "like" posts, myself included, I've installed a mod to allow just that.

I'm not sure that the current button isn't a bit much - it'd be nicer if it was a lot lighter and take up less attraction... If I have time soon, I'll see if I can effect that change.

But meanwhile.... I figured it'd be fun to go ahead and try it out. There's no downvoting, only upvoting, i.e. liking posts. :)

Maybe this will be a nice thing for the forum! I hope so. :)

Ters

I don't see much point in liking topics from the topic listing. One should read it first. The button makes it look very cluttered there. It even looks like it's on top of something else.

Yona-TYT

Isaac, This is great  :thumbsup:

Yona-TYT

No if possible but it would be nice to see the number of people who give the like.

An_dz

I'll take a look on giving a better look to the button.

Quote from: Ters on May 31, 2015, 02:51:30 PM
I don't see much point in liking topics from the topic listing. One should read it first. The button makes it look very cluttered there. It even looks like it's on top of something else.
I disabled it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Yona-TYT on May 31, 2015, 03:19:20 PM
No if possible but it would be nice to see the number of people who give the like.

It puts a link at the bottom of the post - you can not only see the number, but who :)

IgorEliezer

Ewww, another Facebook thing here.... shooo!

Just kidding.

I like I can now like with the like button the posts I like. Likely. :)

Yona-TYT

For us who we use facebook this is is well pleased.  8)

Ters

In my eyes, the like button looks very sandwiched between the post and the signature (which everyone but me seems to have). It doesn't actually stand out as a forum feature, as opposed to part of the post. I'm not sure where it's better to put it, though. Putting it over at the right gives it rather "bad" company. Adding some space between the button and the text above, perhaps?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

@Ters - I dunno, it at least occupies a corner not previously occupied. The posts are already a little cluttered. Maybe, if anything, the signature area could be split and it be put to the left, and the signature indented a little bit, but that sounds like a pain to do

Quote from: Yona-TYT on June 01, 2015, 04:52:32 AM
For us who we use facebook this is is well pleased.  8)

And reddit, too. :) I'm fine with not allowing downvoting, though. It's not good for our community.

sdog

reddit has a like button? I thought they had up-arrows like stack-exchange. (And the much more fun down-arrows you mentioned.)

I've never found a 'like' button very good at facebook, since I usually only want to show my interest or acceptance rather than approval. In particular as typically a significant number of posts are about not very likeable things. (How to like all those posts about civcas in the Ukraine conflict?)

Here it is much more fitting, as firstly it is not needed to make a post visible to other forum visitors and posts and propositions therein are either to find approval and support or not enough to press the button.

I also find this useful to stop discussions or debates that have more or less found their conclusion and only go on due to politeness, re-phrasing and clarifying previous statements. One can just 'like' the others posts instead of writing another one. In that case 'like' ought to be seen more as a token of respect and confirmation of having read a posting.

isidoro

About the "Like" button position, when a message is edited, the button is placed just after the message saying the post has been edited.  Imho, it doesn't look good in that case: in the same line and in the middle of the page...

EDIT: I have waited some time before editing the post, so that you can see the efect.

An_dz

I noticed but was having some problems accessing the server, now it's done.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: sdog on June 01, 2015, 05:43:39 PM
reddit has a like button? I thought they had up-arrows like stack-exchange. (And the much more fun down-arrows you mentioned.)

Yes, reddit has up/down voting buttons. But essentially a "like" is the same thing as an "upvote", so that's all I mean when I call them the same thing. :)

QuoteI also find this useful to stop discussions or debates that have more or less found their conclusion and only go on due to politeness, re-phrasing and clarifying previous statements. One can just 'like' the others posts instead of writing another one. In that case 'like' ought to be seen more as a token of respect and confirmation of having read a posting.

Definitely another positive use for it. :)

I'm glad to see this plugin is successful and *generally* liked so far. It is fun and a nice addition, I think. Not perfect, but nice :)

Spacethingy

It would be nice to see WHO thanked the post. I use thanks/like buttons on forums to show I appreciate someone answering my question or commenting on something I said, instead of cluttering the forum with small "Thanks", "your welcome", or "I agree" posts.

Re. layout, could it not be moved next to the Quote button? For that matter, couldn't the Report and Logged indicator go up there too, as there's a lot of empty space there.

I won't say thanks again for this feature, as I've already pushed the button... :D
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Lmallet

Quote from: Spacethingy on June 02, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
It would be nice to see WHO thanked the post. I use thanks/like buttons on forums to show I appreciate someone answering my question or commenting on something I said, instead of cluttering the forum with small "Thanks", "your welcome", or "I agree" posts.

Click on the "(X person like this)" text next to the button.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

One of the problems with using forum software that someone else wrote is that it's not custom written. And while it's somewhat easy to make certain trivial changes - when you do, it means anytime the forum software needs to be upgraded, we lose all the changes we make, and we need to keep the forum software up-to-date for security.

So.... it means either living with things as they come, or someone doing work every time a new forum version comes out, which is moderately frequent. :(

IgorEliezer

Just checked the "Like Stats". Do you know who is the most liked member of the forum?

Him: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1

Let the conspiracy theories commence!

(he is also the most like giving user <3 )

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, I do have control over the database... hehe

http://i.imgur.com/Yp61cD4.jpg

:D

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 18, 2015, 12:38:25 PM
Well, I do have control over the database... hehe
You are not lying. :)

Lieven

Europeans addons in project:

Too much ! ;-)