News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Industry connection oddities

Started by Junna, August 11, 2015, 10:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junna

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a6bk3jwkqzxxfci/Tass1.sve

The diary (Quintton diary) lists this cattle farm as a supplier (and indeed it had a working connection until the game was reloaded), but the connection is one-sided and has been dropped by the cattle farm.

This has now happened to the nearby coal mine as well... The colliery is no longer connected to the original coal merchant which received its goods; the coal merchant (Highborough coal merchant) is connected thereto, but the colliery is no longer. When cross-connect factories is on, it seems it randomly drops whichever downstream supplier is serviced.

jamespetts

When you write, "when cross-connect factories is on," do you mean that you have the setting for cross-connecting all factories enabled and that the problem only occurs in that condition?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Make sure it is not part of that stupid cross connection bug standard had (which was fixed last year). I gave a patch for it after encountering it on an online pak64 server.

Basically the bug was it applies cross-connect linking during loading of the objects but before all objects are actually loaded. The result was it would only link objects it had loaded up to that point and not any future objects (I recall the cross connect was from only one side, either consumer of producer). The solution was to move the cross-connect procedure to the post-load call (after all factories loaded) so that all factories are available for connection.

This may be another issue however. The symptoms seem slightly different.

Cross-connect should not even be supported by experimental. It sort of goes against what Experimental stands for (realistic connections). One of the complaints on the current server were dairy farms making 400 km trips to deliver milk to dairies in 1780.

Junna

Quote from: DrSuperGood on August 12, 2015, 12:39:25 AM
Cross-connect should not even be supported by experimental. It sort of goes against what Experimental stands for (realistic connections). One of the complaints on the current server were dairy farms making 400 km trips to deliver milk to dairies in 1780.

Hey, don't ruin my playing style. I use it because the game's default connections are random and dumb (and often too long) and frankly rarely make any sense. This way, I can connect whichever happens to lay reasonably close to a line built in a pleasant manner.

And yes, it happens only when cross-connect is on.

jamespetts

Thank you for the clarification. Dr. Supergood - can you point me to the Git commit (on the Standard mirror) where this bug was fixed? I am fairly sure that I have merged all the bug fixes, but it would be good to make sure that I have not missed any.

I do not plan to deprecate cross-connecting, as, evidently, some players prefer it and it is optional. Equally, however, I do not plan to run any games with this enabled on the server.

I have made amendments to the way in which industries link to give more sensible ranges, which should reduce the need to do this.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

QuoteThank you for the clarification. Dr. Supergood - can you point me to the Git commit (on the Standard mirror) where this bug was fixed? I am fairly sure that I have merged all the bug fixes, but it would be good to make sure that I have not missed any.
Here however chances are it is an experimental only bug as I doubt the industry code is that similar anymore.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, of course, your JIT patch is in Standard now. I will have to look into this when I get back home next week.

DrSuperGood

It was before JIT2. However experimental probably has different industry connection logic.

In standard connecting one industry to another forced a symmetrical connection if I recall so having one-sided connections I would not think possible.