News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

90° turns

Started by Rollmaterial, October 19, 2015, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Ocvavius: that is a very interesting analysis: the important part being the temporary blockage of the optimum route by a departing train. I have just committed a change prohibiting routing over orthogonal V-turns by convoys under direction of a choose signal, without interfering with their use on a normal route (where the temporary blockage is not relevant).

I hope that this is helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Quote from: Aquin on October 27, 2015, 06:04:13 PM
but that green route is a series of two 180° turns with r=0.5 tiles, isn't it?

Sure they are, and should be treated as such.  Some paksets have graphics that show it like that.
Perhaps it could be an option like in TTD to forbid such turns. Sometimes they are useful, but I have also experienced similar problems with choose signals, when trains took very funny paths.

jamespetts

Have you ever had problems relating to this other than with choose signals? I ask because I have amended the code so that convoys cannot route through these turns when using an alternative route from a choose signal.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on October 27, 2015, 08:36:43 PM
Have you ever had problems relating to this other than with choose signals? I ask because I have amended the code so that convoys cannot route through these turns when using an alternative route from a choose signal.

No, other problems. On the other hand, I sometimes used such turns on purpose to turn the train back (after un/loading).

Rollmaterial

Convoys are still routed over V-turns to alternative platforms for me.

jamespetts

Quote from: Rollmaterial on November 05, 2015, 03:46:12 PM
Convoys are still routed over V-turns to alternative platforms for me.

Can you give a specific example of the particular circumstances in which this occurs so that I can test it?

Rollmaterial

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdhrajfy9n9d7yv/V%20turn.png?dl=0
Siding 1 has an end of choose signal and convoy A has siding 2 as default. It arrived while another train was leaving siding 4 and was routed there as soon as the path visible in the picture was clear.

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this can be reproduced? That makes it much easier for me to track down the issue.