News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[devel-new de6f92d] Strange behaviour with waypoints and minimum load

Started by Rollmaterial, November 26, 2015, 11:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollmaterial

Waypoints and/or minimum loads in schedules cause strange behaviours in some cases. Convoys don't follow their schedules correctly and sometimes, when passing choose signals, stop at the nearest station to wait for load.

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. Can you give more detail, and, in particular, instructions sufficient reliably to reproduce this issue, preferably in conjunction with a saved game in which the conditions for reproducing it are set up?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Rollmaterial

Here's a save for strange schedule following: https://www.dropbox.com/s/teehw1zt6mxlz5p/Waypoint%20bug%201.sve?dl=0
As one train is waiting for load, the other doesn't. Besides, the "destinations" behave strangely.

Edit: And for the stop and load at the nearest station: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn7iqr84f2lafu3/Waypoint%20bug%202.sve?dl=0
It only started happening when I placed an end of choose sign on the straightest path to the colliery at Reddbury Junction.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. When you write of the destinations "behaving strangely", can you elaborate on what you mean?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Rollmaterial

For example, the destination field still indicates "Waypoint" after the train having passed it and being heading for the power station.

jamespetts

I think that I have managed to fix this at the same time as making some more general improvements to the way in which waypoints and reversing stops work - do you care to re-test? I should be most grateful. Thank you for the report.

Rollmaterial

jamespetts

Can you elaborate? I am not able to reproduce the exact problems that you originally reported. Are you sure that you have pulled and compiled the latest version?

Rollmaterial

I have compiled the latest version. When loading the first save, the destination field only works correctly once and then reverts to the same strange behaviour. Neither does a new schedule in a new game work any better.

jamespetts

That's odd - I thought that I had tested this. In any event, I think that I have pushed a fix now; can you re-test? Apologies for the error the first time.

jamespetts

Rollmaterial

Simply create a train schedule with waypoints. A stop immediately after a waypoint should be corrupt. There will be no loading time and the train won't wait at a timetabled stop or a stop with a minimum load.

jamespetts

I think that I have fixed a bug related to this: thank you for the report. Do you care to re-test? This does require a new schedule.

jamespetts

Rollmaterial

Seems functionally fixed! Is the convoy GUI supposed to show only the next stop?

Now there's still the other bug described in this thread left: in some cases, trains with a minimum load at their next stop choose a platform and stop to wait for load at a station on their route.

jamespetts

The convoy GUI has always shown only the next stop both in Standard and Experimental so far as I am aware.

As for the second bug, I missed that that was a separate issue (which is why I always exhort people to post exactly one bug per thread). Can you describe more precisely the steps to recreate this using (I presume) the second saved game linked above?

Rollmaterial

The bug seems to be an issue with end of choose signs. In the second save you mentioned, it started occurring when I placed one on the straightest path through the station for the goods trains.

jamespetts

Can you describe more precisely how the problem manifests itself? I am not quite clear from your descriptions.

Rollmaterial

The coal line in the second save passes through the station in the middle. At that station, when there is a passenger train at the southernmost platform, which has an end of choose sign, a train of the coal line going back the colliery is routed by the choose signal through another platform, at which it stops to wait for full load.

jamespetts

I am currently reviewing old bug reports and I notice that this one appears to have no reported resolution. May I ask whether this can still be reproduced?

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on February 18, 2017, 12:53:42 AM
I am currently reviewing old bug reports and I notice that this one appears to have no reported resolution. May I ask whether this can still be reproduced?

Hello James! First of all congratulations to the new release and the changed name! And many thanks for your continued work and support! This is really much appreciated. With the new release I'm coming back to Simutrans Extended and even have some time on my hand to test the new build and it's features.

As to this bug it still exists. Here is a screenshot of it:

The stage coach just went from stop 4 at Calvingham Folly to the previous waypoint (stop 3) in the schedule. A save-game of this can be downloaded at http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Actual.sve

I hope this helps.

Jando

Update to my last post, tested some more and here is what I believe that happens:

When a convoy reaches a waypoint it correctly continues to the next destination/waypoint, but that is not shown on the convoy information or in it's schedule window. Convoy info and schedule still show the last waypoint reached as current destination. When a player opens the schedule for the convoy the already passed waypoint is still highlighted and on closing the schedule window the game does the same as if a player had manually changed the schedule for the convoy to this old waypoint, i.e. sending the convoy back to it.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I do not seem to be able to download your saved game. Would you be able to re-upload it? I should be most grateful.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 20, 2017, 09:51:22 PM
I am afraid that I do not seem to be able to download your saved game. Would you be able to re-upload it? I should be most grateful.

I'll make a new game with an easy route where this can be observed.

Jando

Situation is as follows:

Picture at http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/irpw1hx4uWFT1vV

Cart has just delivered clay to the brickworks and is on it's way back to the clay pit and already past the waypoint there in the route. However, the vehicle display still shows the waypoint as destination and in it's schedule information window the waypoint is still highlighted as next destination.

What happens in game now when I close the schedule window is that the cart will revert and travel back to the waypoint (because the schedule lists it as next destination). That will also happen when you load a saved game of this situation. I assume equally because the waypoint is the active next destination. That's no big deal with this simple route and cart but I reckon this bug can cause havoc on congested lines or on unidirectional track (trains) where the train might not even be able to go back to the waypoint from it's current location.

Saved game of this situation is here: http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/t2SpttM2lOB0erJ

BTW, that all has nothing to do with minimum load as stated in the title of this thread. The schedule of the cart in the above example has no minimum load set.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/apps/files_sharing/ajax/publicpreview.php?x=1818&y=532&a=true&file=5.jpg&t=irpw1hx4uWFT1vV&scalingup=0

I'm not sure where you got the link for the picture from, but it was probably inside your files, rather than the public image URL. You have to go to the share page, and get the image link from there. :)

jamespetts

Thank you for the report. I think that I have managed to fix this: would you be able to re-test? Thank you.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 29, 2017, 04:38:44 PM
Thank you for the report. I think that I have managed to fix this: would you be able to re-test? Thank you.

Thank you as well, I tested waypoints with a number of routes, both freight and passengers, no bug found. :)

jamespetts