News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[develnew 96ae1e2] Strange train behavior

Started by Ves, December 10, 2015, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

Well, here is another bugreport :)
The train (39) L&BR Small Tank 2-4-0T in the savegame has a very strange behavior:
It has a schedule A-B-C-D with mirror schedule turned on.
But somehow, it get strange and will only travel B-C-D without stopping at C.

The schedule are these four stations:
A - Dartport Gladstone Park Railway Station
B - Dartport Street Railway Station
C - Dartport Black Park Railway Station
D - Dartport Longhill Street Railway Station

Savegame:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmsf573uq2itruu/Strange%20train%20schedule%20bug.sve?dl=0

jamespetts

This appears to be related to the one train staff working method, which has a number of issues. Sadly, I do not have time to fix this issue this week-end, but, in the meantime, you may try to see whether not using the one train staff cabinets will prevent this trouble from occurring.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

If I just remove the one train staff cabinett, the behaviour will not change. Even if I use the "block resolver tool" (the tool that shows which tiles a train has reserved) and resolve the current block of the train, the error persist. If I manually takes it to the "A-station" (Dartport Gladstone Park Railway Station) the trian may go there, but will reserve very strangely.

It is like the train is still in possesion of the train staff, and therefore thinks it can travel everywhere.

But putting a new staff cabinett on the left side of the track in train direction, will eventually let the train hand over the staff and is afterward operating completely as expected.

So yes, it definitely appears that its an issue with the one train staff!

A side note to the one train staff:
If you remove the cabinet with the staff currently handed over to a train, the train will (apperently) in infinity think it can drive everywhere.
Maybe the staff could be removed from the train if the cabinet is removed?

jamespetts

I am currently reviewing old bug reports and I notice that this one appears to have no reported resolution. May I ask whether this can still be reproduced?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

When loading this save up in commit "aedaa70", it appears to still be an issue like described.

jamespetts

I am having trouble downloading your saved game: DropBox seems to have disabled downloads from your account because your links are generating excess traffic.

Ves

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I will have to reupload the save game when I get back home the next few days.

jamespetts

Can you confirm whether this can still be reproduced?

Ves

oohh.. Im sorry! I have so much in my head (and I should already have gone to bed too long ago) that I forgot.. :o

savegame:
http://server.exp.simutrans.com/debug-saves/Strange%20train%20schedule%20bug.sve

No, the behavior is different:

The train now stops at all stations according to its schedule. However, it still travels in one train staff mode during all its travel, although half of it should be with absolute block.

I made a small test, and it seems that if you put a one train staff facing the other way next to the original one (you would have to relocate the absolute block signal on the map to make space), then everything appears to work as intended!
As if it cannot put the staff back at the original one (which I think it should be?)

jamespetts

Looking at this only briefly, the problem, I think, is that signals generally will work only if they are facing in the correct direction for the train. I have modified this so that this does not apply to one train staff signals. Can you test to see whether this remedies the issue?