News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Climate on shores

Started by Leartin, March 19, 2016, 07:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

Do I understand:
Shores are a type of their own, which are placed on every slope next to water (even diagonal), and cannot be deleted, but are gone if you place another object on them. For variations, you can use ground objects as well, which will be placed on top of the shore graphic.

1) Can we get some "trees on top" boolean for shores, so we can choose whether trees are allowed to spawn there?

2) Not directly related: With shores, is it really needed to have the desert climate "hardcoded" as the ocean border, instead of using whichever climate is the first not to be set to 0? Or, alternatively, allow to set climate height to -1, and the first that is 0 or higher is used. (backwards compatibility)

prissi

The ground shore is drawn at a shoreline with slopes. It will appear automatically as soon as a shore has a slope and the image is non-empty.

Shores are composed of three climates. And for flat shores at sea level they are to show sand, so it started as desert. But the slope part could be rather any climate under the new system. The whole climate thing is not really all there, I would say (like we have more climates possible at same level, but the engine does not really uses it as much as it could).

kierongreen

As prissi has said shorelines allow for 3 climates. I put code in to have sand in bays, whereas headlands would go straight from the shore climate to the sea, but this can be changed to anything if you edit each tile individually. Better climate distributions would be possible, but would need someone to figure out code to generate these (possibly affecting forest distribution amongst other things too).