News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Simutrans frezees after loading a map

Started by gernerakos, May 08, 2016, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gernerakos

Hi There!

I am new here, so sorry if I did something wrong.
I am trying to run the newest simutrans, on my laptop with Ubuntu 15.04 on it. Since I dont know how to run the Ubuntu version, I was trying to run the windows version with Wine. I installed Pak192. But when I run the program, it starts, but when I click on the start game, or whatsoever, it loads the map, and freezes. So, when I'd be able to build, or actually do anything in the game, it freezes.
What should I do?
Thank for your help, and thanks for the answers!

prissi

You can install the unbuntu version directly from the software centre. For the current LTS (16.04) it is 120.3.1, i.e. the current version. Using Wine to run a program that is available on Linux does not make much sense.

If you use wine, you try the GDI version, as the SDL version may be even more critical. Disable midi and sound (-nomidi -nosound on the commandline) may help too.

Ters

Did you explicitly load a map, or are you referring to the map that automatically loads at start-up (either auto-loaded save game, or the "demonstration map")? If it is the former, that can suggest something is wrong with the map being loaded, as Simutrans doesn't do much (anything?) differently when showing the "demonstration map" than when showing a "real" map.

That said, prissi's advice to use the Linux version on Linux is a good one. If it wasn't for the fact that 64-bit Linux doesn't support 32-bit Linux programs as natively as 64-bit Windows supports 32-bit Windows programs, installing Simutrans on Linux should have been easier than installing it in Wine. I don't know if Ubuntu distributes unofficial 64-bit Simutrans builds, or if it automatically installs 32-bit support, but in either case, we have some experience with those, unlike Simutrans on Wine.

Octavius

If you run Ubuntu 15.04 you won't have much success installing Simutrans from the software centre. The 15.04 repositories have closed down as that version is no longer supported. Get Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

gernerakos

So, I start the game, (when it shows the demonstration map) it's Ok, but when I generate a real map, it generates, but then, when I'm able to bulid, move the map, and so on, it freezes.
I'll install 16.04LTS soon, hope then it will work.

Ters

You can try interacting with the demonstration map (just choose new game, and then close that window). The only thing that I can think of that makes any difference, is moving the map. However, doing as prissi and Octavius suggests is probably the best. In the end, we developers might have a hard time solving a problem we don't see for ourselves. And if it requires using a no longer available Ubuntu version, trying to replicate it might be too much work.

prissi

Also 16,04 has the most recent SImutrans stable anyway available ...

gernerakos

It freezes to, just like a normal map.

An_dz

Are you still running under Wine or now you ran the native version?