News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, July 22, 2016, 11:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I've long been concerned with running the forum as an add-on subdomain account - a subuser of the main cPanel account. I made some bad decisions in setting things up, and it's not trivial to change, alas.

While I think I've done some helpful things for the community, I have also made mistakes over the years. That was one.

A second mistake - in hindsight - was to try and rectify the first mistake.

cPanel had a new tool to convert such an addon/subdomain to a full account. This is good because it makes backups more stable and controllable, and organizationally, makes things better. Admittedly, it doesn't do much for or against the forum for the average user.

So I used the tool. And it has partially broken SMF - avatars and attachments are not working.

Discussion topic here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15553.new#new
I have created a thread asking for help on the SimpleMachines site, with extremely limited success. They advised me to use a particular repair tool, which I have done; which fixed some problems, but not the avatars or attachments.

Meanwhile, I'm bugging them for more help. In the past couple of days, it's been frustrating as one person has asked me if I've done something that I already said, so I mentioned I had, in fact, done it. And yet again, today they asked if I've done something else I'd already said. So I have again advised that I have.

They're volunteers like we are, so I can't get angry; but I am certainly frustrated - but partly because I caused all this. I was trying to make things a little better on the back end.... and all I've done so far is make things worse on the front end.

And there's no easy way to undo this, since we have continued posting since I did the conversion.

So I beg your continued patience. If asking for their help fails, I'll try to figure something else out. I have a couple of ideas on how to proceed, although I'd rather not if I don't have to.

I also apologize for only posting about this in limited places. I expected a quick solution; then forgot I had only posted in one place.

I'll create a thread in the forum/community board for any desired discussion on the topic and reference this topic.