News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Windows XP Game Crash Instantly

Started by mms92, August 03, 2016, 08:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mms92

hello
as explain as subject , the game can't run / crash instantly on an xp computer
it didn't even displaying a screen , all screen displayed is the screen from xp "Simutrans  have encounter a problem and need to exit" bla bla bla . . .

nothing to do for help
trying deleting/reinstalling it : don't work
reboot computer : don't work
i've already verified all the file of the game , it's all at their own place

Maybe my computer can't handle it , i mean , physicaly ,here is my comfig , it's very old  and a portable computer so . . . .:

.CPU AMD Athlon XP-2500+
.MotherBoard Hewlett-Packard 0024
.RAM 512 Mb DDR 132 Mhz

tell me if you need something else

thanks for any help

Frank

Which version is that?

I think version 112.3 should work.

mms92

oh yes sorry the version , the latest at this date , 120.1.3 , thanks for the reply , i will try

it's launching now ! thanks for the help ,  :D

DrSuperGood

it's launching now ! thanks for the help
Version 120.1.3 or 112.3?

Version 120.1.3 still supports XP. It has been designed so, to the point some of my windows API update suggestions were rejected. If it does not then please report this as a bug so we can investigate and fix it.

Make sure you are running XP Service Pack 3 or newer. For now Simutrans still targets Windows XP, however only if it is up to date.

Frank

I think the changes from version 120.1.2 to 120.1.3 the manifest are to blame.

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15118.msg149053#msg149053

And Windows XP is outdated and should not be further considered in the new versions.

DrSuperGood

And Windows XP is outdated and should not be further considered in the new versions.
The overall consensus from the development team is that it must be supported.

Ters

Quote from: Frank on August 03, 2016, 10:22:27 PM
I think the changes from version 120.1.2 to 120.1.3 the manifest are to blame.

I can't see how such a manifest change can cause crashes.

Quote from: DrSuperGood on August 04, 2016, 03:08:39 AM
The overall consensus from the development team is that it must be supported.

For my part, there is nothing in post-XP APIs that warrants turning our backs on Windows XP users, which this thread shows are still out there. (It is more disturbing that government agencies are still running XP, as I can see whenever someone working there is interviewed on television and their screen is visible. Maybe even Windows 98, but I hope they have stopped doing that during the 3-4 years that have passed since I heard of it. I might be partially to blame myself, as I held onto a Windows 2003 server until May this year, but that was due to a delay in getting the replacement finished and the system administrators were on my back over it for a year.)

Simutrans might actually support even older Linuxes than Windowses.

DrSuperGood

I can't see how such a manifest change can cause crashes.
Recently there were some changes made for wide character support. I recall changes being made to the MSVC project however I forget the changes made to the code which needed them.

I tested both a self-built MSVC build and the official GDI build on Windows 10 using XP SP3 compatibility mode and both run perfectly. This is hardly a reliable test though.

Honestly we need more information about the crash. Any error logs? Is SP 3 being used?

Frank

With version 112.3 is a playable version.

The other point is the available memory. It's not only the operating system but also the hardware used.

I think it would have been better that the sets have the version 112.3 supports a little longer.
Or just to make 112.3 an LTS version. But this is another story.

Ters

As it is, support for a version of Simutrans basically stops the moment it is released. Bugs get fixed together with the new features that will make up the next version. There is no technical reason for this, but maintaining stable branches adds a lot more project management overhead (at least relatively speaking).

TurfIt

Quote from: mms92 on August 03, 2016, 08:30:14 PM
.CPU AMD Athlon XP-2500+
As the compiler CPU target for 120.1.3 is set for Pentium4, that's the minimum requirement. Specifically SSE2 instructions which are not on the AMD CPUs of that era.
I did run it on an XP SP3 32-bit machine, so no apparent incompatibilities there.

Ters

Ah, the CPU requirement has been bumped from Pentium 3. That likely explains it. We would need some more diagnostics to be certain. I think XP still gives the crashing address if one clicks "details" or something like that. (From Vista and onwards, this information is buried deep.)