News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

(120.1.3) Can't build bridges properly

Started by dekema2, January 16, 2017, 04:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dekema2

When trying to build bridges, I get this:

How can this be remedied?

DrSuperGood

By giving enough clearance under the desired bridge span. Pak128 is a double height pakset, meaning that bridges and elevated ways need 2 elevation levels of clearance under their span to be constructed, as opposed to pak64 which only needs 1.

I will try to demonstrate with some rather poor ASCII art (I am an engineer not an artists lol)...

Good pak128 bridge:
   ___
  /   \
_/|___|\_

Not allowed pak128 bridge (what you doing):
  ___
_/___\_

/ & \ represent single height ramp or artificial slope.
_ represent a ground level, either natural or bridge span.
| represent an artificial wall tile

A common trick in pak128 to save on elevation changes is to sink the under-passing way 1 elevation level into the ground and then bridge over as normal. This way both ways are subjected to an elevation change of 1 as opposed to one way having no elevation change and the other an elevation change of 2 (which can really hammer speed). An elevated way with artificial on and off slopes can also be used instead of a bridge allowing the way to be live upgraded (bridges have to be replaced meaning down time) and saving on ramp maintenance.

Ters

I thought pak128 was called a half-height pak set, since one height level is only half the clearance needed for vehicles. To levels are needed to get the full height required for vehicles to pass under. Pak64 is a double-height pak set, because the height difference is either the full height needed for vehicles to pass, or double that. By contrast, a legacy single height pak set is one where the difference in height between two tiles can only be one, which must therefore also be considered enough of a difference to let vehicles pass under. Or to turn it the other way around, which is how I think the terms came about: when the feature was introduced that allowed slopes of two different steepnesses, half-height pak sets used it to create height differences half the height of the original, while double-height pak sets introduced height differences twice as big as the original.

Leartin

double-height has two meanings, it either refers to a pak with two slope-steepnesses instead of one, or to a double-height-pak that added double the height of regular slopes, as opposed to half the height of regular slopes.
This is because the patch itself was called "Double Heights", and there is no other collective term. So yeah - half-height is more precise, but everything that's half-height uses the double-heights-patch and is therefore double-height, rather than single-height.

Ters

Yes, but double height does not mean that bridges needs to go up two levels to cross other ways. It's an unfortunate double meaning we've gotten ourselves into here. A bit like the current controversy around "he", or even "man".

DrSuperGood

I always thought it meant that double the number of heights were needed to represent a single height...

In any case he needs to double the height of the bridge with respect to the ground/way under its span, from 1 elevation to 2 elevations.