News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[devel r82923e3] weird passenger desire locations appearing in large maps

Started by laos, February 27, 2017, 12:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laos

When I'm watching each city's desired passenger locations each month and I'm seeing very strange locations appear (in the water, etc.) - is this correct? Trying to figure out how I can play profitably in such a large map given these variables. Let me know if I am misunderstanding something, or if you need other information!

http://i.imgur.com/TWzS76a.png

(alternative link since I know James cannot view imgur) http://happy.lanukah.com/nextcloud/index.php/s/gnZR5RB5eKcVQUq

jamespetts

Is there by any chance an industry (e.g. an oil rig or fishery) at that location?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

laos

nope! sadly empty spot on the map whether land or sea - not even a nearby fishery/abbey for employment/visit

jamespetts

I see - may I ask whether you have rotated the map at all? Knowing whether you have done so will help me to narrow down where to look for the potential cause of this issue.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

laos

I have not rotated the map and this issue still appears. It's also noteworthy that these dots are also very, very far away, a distance perhaps impossible to comfortably bring passengers to/from on a map this big (2500x3000)

Junna

How do I even see those destinations, I can't see anything on those maps in my game? There's no way to control anything on them or scale them separately.

jamespetts

You can use the passenger destinations overlay in the minimap: just select the town hall of the town the destination of whose passengers you want view.

laos

Hey James, any chance a recent nightly might have any improvement on this issue?

jamespetts

I have not had a chance to look into this one yet, as I have been busy fixing other bugs.

jamespetts

I have now spent some time looking into this, and cannot reproduce it: I have added an assertion to check the registration of passenger destinations to see whether they are on water other than a depot or a stop (as some passengers actually work at docks and shipyards and have those as their ultimate destinations). I have not been able to trigger this assertion. Are you able to upload a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced (i.e. passengers having the sea, being not a dock or shipyard, as their destination)?

laos

Quote from: jamespetts on March 18, 2017, 04:55:57 PM
I have now spent some time looking into this, and cannot reproduce it: I have added an assertion to check the registration of passenger destinations to see whether they are on water other than a depot or a stop (as some passengers actually work at docks and shipyards and have those as their ultimate destinations). I have not been able to trigger this assertion. Are you able to upload a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced (i.e. passengers having the sea, being not a dock or shipyard, as their destination)?

Thanks for following up. I spent a couple free weekends trying to repro. Not seeing any weird water activity. I am seeing however cities with very large orange dots (which i assume is passenger desired activity) in strange, far away places where there are not necessarily nearby attraction, or there are, but it doesn't seem realistic to ever give them a way to get there.

See the link below for a save file It's big (15MB) given the map size but I think this is an issue with such maps that the AI isn't thinking clearly about destinations. You can also see how little activity there is for nearby destinations. for big cities (20,000+ residents) but there are these very few, very far away destinations that seem to be where all the people want to go, unless i'm misunderstanding what the destinations map is telling me.

Some good cities to see these examples are:

Spiningford (look at the very top left of the destination map)
MickleGreeningly (towards middle of the map)

http://happy.lanukah.com/nextcloud/index.php/s/wKunN77XmaDD1Lk

jamespetts

I have downloaded the map and run it in fast forward for a little while using the passenger destinations from the town in focus on load (Spinningford), and I do not see anything immediately untoward. Can you be more precise about what exactly it is that you think is an error state (e.g. the co-ordinates of buildings that appear to be receiving more than you think to be a realistic number of passenger trips)?

I should note that passenger destinations are weighted based on the number of jobs and the visitor demand - is what you are seeing out of line with the destinations' relative number of jobs and visitor demand?

laos

Quote from: jamespetts on March 26, 2017, 01:58:40 AM
I have downloaded the map and run it in fast forward for a little while using the passenger destinations from the town in focus on load (Spinningford), and I do not see anything immediately untoward. Can you be more precise about what exactly it is that you think is an error state (e.g. the co-ordinates of buildings that appear to be receiving more than you think to be a realistic number of passenger trips)?

I should note that passenger destinations are weighted based on the number of jobs and the visitor demand - is what you are seeing out of line with the destinations' relative number of jobs and visitor demand?

So I'm referring to the city maps that I believe show passenger activity - those are supposed to show orange dots based on demand, correct? That is where, at least with me, I'm seeing large orange dots on the top left / areas as described earlier. It's blatantly clear so if you're not seeing it, then maybe my devel setup is different. Let me try reinstalling my nightly again + look around.

Screenshot demonstrating what I see with one of the other nearby big cities - what's strange is that i reloaded the game and the location changed from the middle of the top to the top right:

http://happy.lanukah.com/nextcloud/index.php/s/fnOlVWcLaGoyLdZ

EDIT: Looks like the issue went away after entire reinstall. I think it's safe to close, thanks!