News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Passenger numbers excessive

Started by Junna, March 18, 2017, 06:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junna

Since sometime in the last week or so, the nightly behaviour is odd; passenger generation is ridiculous, and passengers pile up by millions and do not disappear; in fact it consistently seems to grow quicker than any passengers are discarded due to the overcrowding. In the save game uploaded for the crash, there is 1.2 million people waiting at Whippoorwill West, 715,000 of which want to go to a specific station, probably changed route due to the lack of capacity. The overall passenger level is up more than 50% from the previous behaviour (it also affects parcels)-- and that's just the amount that the transporting has managed to accommodate.

jamespetts

I am having some trouble working out how to reproduce this: I can see the excessive numbers of passengers already at Whippoorwill's stations, but tracking down precisely where and when they come to be there is much more challenging.

Does this occur in fast-forward mode, normal time mode, or both? Do large numbers of passengers suddenly appear all at once at a single station, or is the overall generation of passengers accross multiple stations greater for a time (and is this a long or short time)?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

It seems to have piled up gradually at excessive overloaded levels. However, it seems to me that the generation keeps up at high level-- new passengers seem to keep being generated. I am not sure if they all come from one place-- it seems unlikely, because the overloaded in across all networks and all major interchange stations. There were some stuck vehicles at a point which I fixed, but this high level has been -- as seen in charts for any of the passenger carrying and the postal company -- going for the last 3-4 game months. It afflicts the majority of lines, least so peripheral and far-end lines, but even in those there is a significant uptick in the numbers. Even isolated lines connected only by ships and aëroplanes -- Pitlow Island -- has a significant rise.

jamespetts

This is quite hard to track down, as it is easy to see that there are excessive numbers of passengers generally, but there is no specific place where it is clear that the wrong number of passengers comes into existence at a specific time.

Further, it is very hard to test, as, once there are already excessive passengers, they will last for a long time, and the fast forward speed is very low on a large map with a very large number of passengers.

However, I have pushed what I think may be a fix to this, based on a problem detected in goods transfers in which goods would sometimes be duplicated when they were being transferred (e.g. 50t of goods being unloaded, resulting in 70t of goods at the stop). Having tested this for several hours, the number of passengers by at least some metrics seems slowly to be decreasing.

This will be in to-morrow's nightly build. I should be grateful if you could re-test to see whether this problem is abated with the new version. Thank you for the report.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.