News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Odd infrastructure maintenance increases

Started by Jando, April 27, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jando

And hello all again!

I'm seeing some odd increases in monthly infrastructure maintenance. I'm unsure whether it's a bug or a feature, thus I thought I'd ask. What happens is that infrastructure maintenance costs increase twice after expanding the network. Now, the first increase at the start of the month after construction is obviously very right: I build new stuff (roads and road stops in this case), thus maintenance costs go up.

What happens is that 1-3 months after this increase maintenance costs go up again (without building any new stuff). Bug or feature?

Rollmaterial

It may be way renewal. Ways wear out and are automatically renewed if your finances allow it.

Ves

Also, potential signals might have upgraded automatically to newer (more maintenance heavy) signals when the way underneath is renewed.

Jando

Quote from: Rollmaterial on April 27, 2017, 11:43:51 AM
It may be way renewal. Ways wear out and are automatically renewed if your finances allow it.

It's a month after the way was first built.  :) And no signal anywhere, only roads and bus stops.

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this increase can reliably be reproduced so that I can look into this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Jando

I will try to reproduce it, James, thanks for your answer! Here is a link to a screenshot showing the behaviour, I hope you can see it: http://files.simutrans.com/index.php/s/8BhmCDpGcx4wfc4

I started that map 2 game-months ago, built some roads, a bridge, a few bus stops and a depot. You see no maintenance but a lot of construction cost in the finances for the last month because that was the month I started the map. The screenshot is taken right before the end of the 2nd game-month, and there you see the correct maintenance costs and that no additional construction happened in this 2nd month as well. However, without any new construction, the finance screen states that "this month fixed costs" (that should really read "next month fixed costs, haha, because it is deducted at the beginning of a month) has increased, in this case from 356 credits to 615. And yes, the increased maintenance got charged in that next month and the following 6 or 7 months as well. :)

I'll make a new map and see whether I can reproduce this.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 27, 2017, 10:31:26 PM
Can you upload a saved game in which this increase can reliably be reproduced so that I can look into this?

Not possible to use a saved game for this bug, because the bug seems related to saving and/or loading of games. But it's easy to reproduce, here's how you can see it:

1. Start a new map, doesn't seem to matter what size and year.
2. Build something, a road, a train track, bus stops, staging inn, I've seen the bug on many different constructions.
3. Note the monthly infrastructure maintenance costs that would be charged at the start of the next month.
4. Save the game.
5. Load the saved game.

Monthly infrastructure maintenance costs will have increased after loading the game. It will not increase after another save/load cycle. Seems to me that it's always the first save/load cycle after construction that changes the monthly infrastructure costs.

jamespetts

Thank you for the detailed instructions - that is helpful. I think that I have now managed to fix this; would you be able to re-test? I should be most grateful.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on April 29, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Thank you for the detailed instructions - that is helpful. I think that I have now managed to fix this; would you be able to re-test? I should be most grateful.

And thank you for the fast bugfix, James! I tested a number of constructions on new maps and found no problem. Bug smashed I'd say. :)

jamespetts