News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Rail Signals and how to use them

Started by Arkamaic, August 28, 2008, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkamaic

Hey everyone, so little new to the game, but I love it. Only part I don't have down how to use too well is the train signals.  Could someone explain how to set them up or point me in the right direction. I have tried to get it myself with no luck. =(

And could someone list the benfits of it?? thanks
My girlfriends photography site : A.A.J Photography

(I'm still working on it, so not 100% complete yet.)

vilvoh

Have you downloaded the Starter guide? get it here. It will explain you the basics in the chapter "Giving The Signal For More Profits".

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Arkamaic

Yeah, I looked at that. The thing i dont get is which signals to place where. Like which signal for the spur track and which for the main line. and are presignals necessary for a spur track?

So would i just use normal signals on both tracks?? (spur and main line)

Thanks for the reply

vilvoh

I'm not a train expert but my experience says: signals for crosses, long block signals to block track paths.

This video can show you how long block signal works (it has some text in spanish but it's easy to understand)

Several references from the old forum:

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Arkamaic

Perfect, thanks a bunch. Ill look at those. and i speak decent amount of spanish so haha no worries

Arkamaic

OK so got it figured out a little. let em see if i have it right here.

Colors:
Red= Industry
Green=Station Platform

So to make it where a train doesn't leave station 1 until a train enters or leaves station 2, would i place two long block signals right before the station entrance??

DirrrtyDirk

Are those black lines all single tracks (or double?) and is it a terminal station (= the tracks not continuing on towards the right, just as you painted it - or do they continue?)

Oh are you using a recent version of Simutrans or an old one (like 88.10.5 or such) - since the signalling system was changed drastically around v89 or 90 or so...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Arkamaic

Yes they are single tracks, and the stations are terminal stations. and I am using the latest release with pak64

DirrrtyDirk

And what exactly do you want to happen there?
i.e.:

1) How many trains are scheduled for platform 1 (and 2)?

2) Where do they come from, where do they go (top or bottom exit)?

3) Do other trains use that single-track north-south axis?

----

If the answers are:

1) 1 each

2) one comes from and goes to the top, the other comes from and goes to the bottom

3) no

... then you should not need any signal at all.

For everything else we'll need (a lot) more details.

So what is it?

Arkamaic

Um probably 3 trains total. one only on north and south axis. (in this case there is a coal mine and iron mine to the north, coal power plant south, and the factory in the pic is a Iron Foundry).

1.One train comes from the coal mine and delivers to the foundry

2. One comes from iron mine and feeds the foundry (spur line runs north between stations and other north-south track, forgot to put it in.)

3. One comes from coal mine to feed power plant. (remains on the north-south track)

Yes there is only One train at each station ATM. Although, I will want to add a third (so maybe another station) to deliver the steel to a car factory.

So if there are three stations, and only one train to each, then no signals?

DirrrtyDirk

If I understood the layout of the spur line correctly, no signal is required. However, depending on the distances betweeb the stations and the junctions, the use of signals (and double track sections) could make the system run smoother. Using signals on single track systems has a risk of creating possible deadlocks, especially when you start to have more than train per route.

So with the current(!) set-up (again, only if I have understod you correctly) you don't need any signal - and you could use 3 of them (especially if distances are long).

For training purposes, I'd suggest you do use those signals and watch how they affect your trains.

#1 can be placed right "south" of the junction on the north-south axis. (So on the first part of track that only the train to the power plant uses)

#2 can be placed on the first tile "east" of the same junction (where only the coal train to the foundry drives through)

#3 can be placed on the first tile of the spur toward the iron mine, once it has separated from the line to the foundry.

Use normal signals an leave both ways enabled (= no single-way signals - you get those by further clicking on a signal with the place-signal-tool and that keeps toggling 3 modes (both ways, one-way A->B, one-way B->A).

Pressing the "b" key in game is also helpful, since it toggles the indication of track reservations by your trains (and a block-repair tool - but that's a different story).

nickjbor

(note by admin: this post was originally posted in http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=650.0)

Quote from: vilvoh on October 20, 2008, 06:47:51 AM
Anyway I think would be better to put all these ideas here, maybe in this topic or in another new one, discuss them and then move them to the wiki if we consider they are good enough for helping newbies.

Makes sense. I can edit the topic title, so I can specify what I'm lost about today *facepalm - this might take a while*

If anyone wants to take a crack at the list of things above, feel free.

Right now, I'm lost still. For one, I dont know how to operate rail signals. I'm trying to build a track like this:

XXX-------------------====-----------------XXX

where the trains can pass each other in the middle, but they never do it right. I cant figure out which signals I need to put where to make this work properly.

Combuijs

R   
XXX-------------------====-----------------XXX
                                      L

Place a normal signal on the end of the upper double track (R). Click two or three times until there is only one pole standing on the outside of the track (upper side in the scheme). Place another normal signal on the end of the lower double track (L). Click two or three times until there is only one pole standing on the outside of the track (lower side in the scheme). Let your trains roll and enjoy their behaviour...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

DirrrtyDirk

... and of course, make sure the double track section is long enough for a train that stops at the signal not to block the opposite train's routing.  ;)

stctech

I have looked for a good description of how to use the train signals.  I have kind of worked out what some can do.  Is there a real simple to follow guide for use of the signals.  How and when to use a regular signal versus a presignal or the long block signal.  I have several trains sharing track and even though a could lay more track, that isn't how it would really be done.

IgorEliezer

Hi,

Searching the forum, I've found a topic with the same question and merged both into one. Please, read 1st post.

Bye, :)

Lodovico

stectech:
I never used the long block signals. Just std. signals combined with the choose signal.
You may have a look this mute video where about 20 trains of about 8 lines use the same station connected to two one way rails
(PAK64, 100.0, year 1880):
http://www.akrangard.cz/simutrans/mov/Neratovice_1880.mpeg