News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Taxi (was: Possible if taxis are made as buses?)

Started by ElectroCyber, November 04, 2009, 01:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectroCyber

I got an idea to make a taxi, but i'm not quite sure is this possible to do?

EDIT: I'm sorry, i mean a real taxicab.
Sorry for my bad English...

vilvoh

What do you exactly mean? You can paint a taxi and code it as a private car, but then it won't transport passengers as private vehicles can't do so.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

KrazyJay

Maybe there can be taxis that have 0 running cost, can only carry 4 passengers and could be coded as a bus. In that way it cannot be a full substitute for buses because if you have to substitute 40 passengers/bus you'll need to have 10 taxis running... but for remote areas where buses are just not profitable it could work......
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

skreyola

Quote from: KrazyJay on November 04, 2009, 05:33:39 PM
Maybe there can be taxis that have 0 running cost, can only carry 4 passengers and could be coded as a bus. In that way it cannot be a full substitute for buses because if you have to substitute 40 passengers/bus you'll need to have 10 taxis running... but for remote areas where buses are just not profitable it could work......
Oooo... I hadn't thought about that. That would be awesome for very remote areas and attractions.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Hagablabah

Quote from: vilvoh on November 04, 2009, 07:52:43 AM
What do you exactly mean? You can paint a taxi and code it as a private car, but then it won't transport passengers as private vehicles can't do so.

I think maybe he means have a bus that instead of a set of stops, just goes directly to whatever one the passengers want to go?

Fabio

this is not possible, given the current code, and it's *very* unlikely to be done in future, as it was already denied in the past.
maybe it could be interesting for ST-Experimental, as there is already a public transport vs. private cars competition. Cabs would just be "intelligent" private cars, maybe owned by a player.

skreyola

Quote from: Hagablabah on November 19, 2009, 03:26:39 AM
I think maybe he means have a bus that instead of a set of stops, just goes directly to whatever one the passengers want to go?
I don't think so. The wording indicates it would be coded like a normal bus, but its running cost would be 0 (taxis are supposed to cover their costs from their fares), and its purpose would be mostly to get passengers to and from locations that don't generate enough passengers to make an actual bus/train worthwhile.
To prevent its being used as a Golden Hammer, the taxi could generate no income (like an independent contractor who agrees to bring passengers from point a to point b in exchange for keeping the income from the transit).
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

EvanBGood

If nothing else, it would probably be reasonably easy to draw one up and make it a super-cheap running, low capacity bus as an add-on. Give it 2-6 seats depending on the size of the cab, good inner-city speed and power. It would have to be REALLY cheap at that level though. Probably not too practical, but you could simulate a good ol' yellow and black checker-board filled New York traffic jam!

vilvoh

You can found several taxis at the archive:

Most of the are coded as citycars, but the zip available for downloading contains the sources, so you can modify it and code them as transport vehicles. I'm the author so you have my permission, but please keep the copyright.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

stmaker

I know taxis are lame for addons but it could help passengers travel.

But is it possible if taxis can be made and placed under "Bus" section on a truck depot?
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

VS

Yes. What decides is the data, not picture or name.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

stmaker

Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

stmaker

Thanks! Useful for my other two addons. ;)

wlindley

In Experimental, a taxi could have a small capacity but a high Comfort level, which increases the revenue per passenger.

stmaker

Quote from: wlindley on November 16, 2011, 01:49:37 PM
In Experimental, a taxi could have a small capacity but a high Comfort level, which increases the revenue per passenger.

Well, I never tried out experimental. There's a comfort level over there?

Delite

In my opinion, a pretty cool idea. However, it's very much pointless in normal Simutrans as capacity is all that matters. Granted, it could have dirt cheap operating costs (a few cents, perhaps) and high speed (100+ km/h?) but still one major point to consider is that in real life taxis don't go around driving in fixed routes. Comfort level seems sound to me, so personally I think this would be better off as an add-on for Experimental.