* any routine with German name should be translated to English in a follow-up commit. For consistency, also routines with similar purpose should be translated, too.
That is a lot of work and will lead to great chaos. Or I have to change all get_besch() haus_besch_t to building_desc_t and so on at once. Otherwise for powerline it would return get_desc() to get building_desc_t and for smoke get_besch() and smoke_besch_t. (Not to mention that also a lot of file names needs changes then too.)
I will comment whenever I add something beyond trivial and I comment new routines. But I do not think the gradual transition work.
If one really wants to do some cleanup codewise: Lets say on June 1st (example) we submit a patch that:
- makes karte_t static, call it map_t (shorten than world_t) and replace all welt-> by map_t:: That would reduce a lot of hassle with obtaining a welt pointer at many places while still keeping the relation between things.
- Change einstellungen_t to game_settings_t and umgebung_t to user_settings_t.
- grund_t to ground_t and boden to soil_t? (and bd
- haus* ti house*
- fabrik* to factory*
- strasse_t to street_t and so on
- change all besch to desc.
- Do a automatic reformat to proper space seperation and indentation (currently different ways in the code)
- change comments to proper style, remove author line (mostly wrong anyways and reworked by many)
It would of course break almost any patch. But if given the warning ahead we may decide for a month for just either integrate a patch or remove it. Any patch must be incorporated before (or will need a lot of work to have it again). Any then we have a clean slate, patchwise but also from programm styles and so on. It will require experimental also a lot of work to get to the same state.
Personally, for me it is rather this or leave it as it is, and only change gradual comments and new identifier. Imho anything in between just will add to confusion and make suffering worse. Oldtimer like me will not find the old names, newcomer will be confused why a car has auto_besch_t and vice versa.