pak96.comic has very similar rules to pak192.comic, so if your object fits one of the paksets it fits both.
Leartin has made an excellent pixelling tutorial
aimed for the comic style, and I highly recommend you to follow it for pak96.comic as well. The only difference is that in pak96.comic you have less texturing or a more subtle texturing. As a tip check mostly Alexander Brose's graphics in pak96.comic, they are more easily found and he does an excellent job with texturing.
pak.96comic Graphics Style Guide
1 - All objects
images need an outer black border line
. (Eg.: House Walls, Roofs, Trash Cans, Vehicles, Factory Chimneys, etc.)
2 - Objects
have a dark and light side
, and it's not
separated by a black line. It's just the colour a little darker. Eg.: A building will have the walls facing south lighter than the walls facing west.
3 - Use intense colours
to create the objects, don't create a colourful objects, but don't make it dark. - Bright colours
are more desirable
. Gray and black should only be used in exceptional cases. Just know where and when it is appropriate.
4 - Snow
is generally white
or a very very light
grey. - Snow would cover
unheated and well-insulated roofs, parked vehicles and any object it can snow. - For lights, fences
or something like, snow cover is only 1 pixel high. No black border on snow.
5 - Doors, windows and gates
don't have black borders. You definitely need to add shades on the walls. - Windows should, if possible, be designed in multiple colours, so they look more realistic. Some of the windows should be lighted.
6 - Players don't need vehicles with player colour
. However, these colours are desirable. Vehicles should have front and rear lighting. In general, however, no interior lights.
7 - Sidewalk colour
is # b0b0b0 - City Street colour
is # 7d7d7d - Highway colour
is # 9c9c9c
8 - Building
(Monument) have 1x1 tiles in size. - Industries and attractions may be bigger.
9 - It's good give some Informations
about the objects. Eg.: vehicle power, launch year, capacity, etc. This info can be changed by the pak maintainers.
10 - It's interesting create a description text
for the same building types above. For 96comic try to be more fun. Those texts can be changed by the pak maintainers.Extra rules (clarifications and extras)
1. There must
have a black line between basement and building.
1b. Rule 1 does not apply when you higher or lower the basement. (See SmallSoccerStadium and LaunchSite)
2. Stairs must
have a black line.
3. Small objects may
have a black line around for contrast.
4. Black line between wall and ground is optional
in other areas, choose what looks better.
5. Generally black line between wall and ground in other areas disappear on snow.
Buildings must have some spacing from the tile borders. You may have none if the building style must have none. Most of the time a little grass and trees around a tall office building are preferable to plain grey ground.
- One floor is 13 pixels high.
- Doors are around 10 pixel high.
- Windows are around 6 x 4 pixels (may differ strongly according to the type of building you are drawing)
- Generally no textures. Very subtle textures where it would look too plain. Roofs generally are textured.
- Friendly colours. Avoid greys, browns & creams (vanilla, yellow-brown-white).
- Create strong contrasts to maintain the comic-look.
- Do this by adding black lines, something around a one pixel-width.
- The outline of a vehicle should always be drawn with a black line.
- Edges look easily overdrawn.Sizes
- The longest vehicle should be:
(Listed for each direction you normally need to draw)
- NORTH/SOUTH 42 x 32px
- EAST/WEST 42 x 32px
- NORTH-WEST/SOUTH-EAST 13 x 42px
- NORTH-EAST/SOUTH-WEST 60 x 20px
- Try to add you vehicle to a screenshot of its later surrounding (eg. rails, roads, canals) and look if it fits (style, size etc.)
Icons & Cursors
Read the dedicated thread
which explains all the details about the UI.
1 - The cursor
tile is 6px higher than the base tile, when centring take this in account for perfect aligning it.
I will always aim to continue and change this posting.
Last Update: 16.01.2015(updated by Noel) (updated by An_dz)
~An_dz: I took this from the German Forum, it's a great info and I think it's missing here:
All credits go to sojo~An_dz