News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

8-bit Simutrans music

Started by Lmallet, May 19, 2010, 09:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lmallet

For something a bit less serious, I was reading an article about a chinese DJ who used 8-bit music (think NES or Sega), and had this strange idea of looking for a conversion tool to convert from MIDI to 8-bit music.   Since Simutrans uses MIDI music, I threw a few files at the converter, and here are the results!

http://drop.io/simumusic/

This made me feel a bit nostalgic.   :)

I figured a few people here might enjoy this.

VS

Oh, so that's how these tunes are supposed to sound! ;D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mobo

Yup, nice!  8)

Though the music in game should be slower imho. The game is rather laid back, but the music makes you feel like you need to do something quick.

vilvoh

Money never sleeps, you know mobo..  :P

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

skreyola

I get a 502 bad gateway for your link.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

MoTw

Sounds good :D

I don't think the sounds are too slow, especially "Stucked Convoi" not. It's just right 8)

Quote from: skreyola on May 20, 2010, 05:12:39 PM

Works fine for me.
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

prissi

However, as uncompressed 8 bit sample they were probably smaller than the resulting OGG file ... But imho those are too distorted. They sound rather like the crappy PC speaker.

Lmallet

Quote from: skreyola on May 20, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
I noticed drop.io was a bit slow, maybe try a bit later.

Quote from: prissi on May 20, 2010, 08:04:33 PM
However, as uncompressed 8 bit sample they were probably smaller than the resulting OGG file ... But imho those are too distorted. They sound rather like the crappy PC speaker.

I agree on the size, especially since the whole original 8-bit game would probably have been much smaller than one of these OGG files.  The tool I've used actually saves the files in WAV format (yeah, 25 MB files of 8-bit music is simply wrong).  I saved them as 128k OGG files so that I could upload them a bit easier, but that would introduce distortion.

prissi

Maybe also the rectangular shapes of the old synthesizer chips are not kind to OGG.