News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Aircraft

Started by TygerFish, December 21, 2010, 07:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TygerFish

I can't find any discussion of (lack of) aircraft in pak.128.Britain, so links would be appreciated if anyone knows of any.

With -Experimental's loading times feature, maybe airplanes could finally be made realistic to play?  In order to balance out the insane speed, they could have insanely high loading times, maybe even stretching over a month.  (Here in the states, that's completely realistic these days.  ;))  That way they would only really be practical on very large maps (like in real life) or, in the case of helicopters, for bypassing difficult terrain (like in real life).

jamespetts

TygerFish,

The Hood plans to release aircraft eventually for the standard version of Pak128.Britain, which will, of course, then be incorporated into Pak128.Britain-Ex. There are currently no aircraft in either version of Pak128.Britain. The Hood's time is limited, however, so it may be some time before aircraft are available. In the meantime, if anyone wishes to draw any in keeping with the Pak128.Britain style, we should all be very grateful indeed.

As to the loading times feature, it is indeed intended that precisely what you suggest is done (I am not sure whether loading lasting a game month is necessary, but that is a matter for testing); aircraft should indeed have long loading times, making them the mode of choice only when the alternative takes more than about three hours.

Helecopters, unfortunately, are not possible currently in Simutrans to my knowledge.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

TygerFish

Quote from: jamespetts on December 21, 2010, 07:38:12 PM
TygerFish,

The Hood plans to release aircraft eventually for the standard version of Pak128.Britain, which will, of course, then be incorporated into Pak128.Britain-Ex. There are currently no aircraft in either version of Pak128.Britain. The Hood's time is limited, however, so it may be some time before aircraft are available. In the meantime, if anyone wishes to draw any in keeping with the Pak128.Britain style, we should all be very grateful indeed.

As to the loading times feature, it is indeed intended that precisely what you suggest is done (I am not sure whether loading lasting a game month is necessary, but that is a matter for testing); aircraft should indeed have long loading times, making them the mode of choice only when the alternative takes more than about three hours.

Helecopters, unfortunately, are not possible currently in Simutrans to my knowledge.
There are helicopter vehicles in pak128, although they don't actually do VTOL, if I remember correctly.

Which brings up another thought!  I've always thought it peculiar that Simutrans aircraft could have comically short runways... would adding the ability to specify a minimum runway length for a vehicle be a possible addon to -Experimental when the airplanes come along?

jamespetts

That is not a bad idea in principle, although I don't know how easy that it would be to code. Certainly worth considering, although not a priority at present (all hands are needed on deck to make Experimental work with networking at present, and it's somewhat difficult to look beyond that).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

TygerFish

Quote from: jamespetts on December 22, 2010, 12:11:10 AM
That is not a bad idea in principle, although I don't know how easy that it would be to code. Certainly worth considering, although not a priority at present (all hands are needed on deck to make Experimental work with networking at present, and it's somewhat difficult to look beyond that).
Those efforts are acknowledged with great appreciation!  Just a thought to get down.  :)

Milko

Hello

One of the last post concerning this topic is http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=4500.0
In this post some painters have made available their materials (used to create models for other pak) to modify and adapt them to the pak128_britain.
Some volunteers are able to create from those planes can save time.
I thank all the "painter" who have given their material.

Giuseppe